Implemented  hover over topic title shows part of the first post

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I would say definitely definitely have it as an option, I know on a lot of sites (mine included) the members would go spare without it.

IPB's implementation of it is too long winded, a simple tooltip hover will do, or a bit of Javascript (I use tCatitude's add on for vB 3.8)

I am still split about this. I like it at times, but the same amount of times I just want to idle the mouse or point something out and more and more tooltips pop up. ugh. I dunno.
Hmm. Maybe make it an option? Or, if it were to use the tooltips like forum descriptions.. have it set on a delay of some sort?

If it's an admin options, perhaps an icon that you hover and the description appears that way.
Hmm. Maybe make it an option? Or, if it were to use the tooltips like forum descriptions.. have it set on a delay of some sort?

This idea I like, as long as it indeed has some sort of delay on it. I can't imagine seeing a popup for every thread I hover over down the list.

It would be fantastic to get Mike/Kiers viewpoint on this.

Many people do not use good titles for threads, and a preview of some sort is good for that. On the other hand they can get annoying. Right click? IPBs new topic preview is quite charming in its own way...

I personally really liked the instant thread preview, though I understand some of the gripes with it. I've caught myself waiting for the tool tip a few times.

It's not that hard to implement given that we already track the first post's ID, but it does bring a fair bit more overhead and bandwidth usage.

I would say add a tooltip preview like the forum descriptions, but put it on a long delay (like a couple of seconds). :)

I personally really liked the instant thread preview, though I understand some of the gripes with it. I've caught myself waiting for the tool tip a few times.

It's not that hard to implement given that we already track the first post's ID, but it does bring a fair bit more overhead and bandwidth usage.
Thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate it. Any updates to this issue would be appreciated.

I like it without text. How many time you did NOT clicked on the link, even if you read the excerpt? :)
Hundreds of times per day I look at the thread preview and do not click on the threads to open them. Huge time saver for us.

I'm a big fan of the preview myself... in another thread, it was suggested that they use ajax to quick load the first post. That could work.

Having it on the forum descriptions and not for the threads leaves me feeling like something important is missing.

After playing around on this forum a bit, I do miss the thread hover preview. Hopefully it is implemented in some fashion here.

I really wont say this too often, at all, but this may be one of the rare instances where an site wide option in the admin CP may be the only way to make most people happy.

Preview is essential IMO, it's one of my main gripes with IPB and I see no reason to not have various implementations as an option (Off, Title Attribute, AJAX Tooltip).

This seems better as a plug-in though. I mean just because it requires a higher server load, and some people can't handle that. It's all up to what the devs want to do.

This seems better as a plug-in though. I mean just because it requires a higher server load, and some people can't handle that. It's all up to what the devs want to do.

Just like similar topics and many many other things in vb3.8. Many of those things are far less important that the thread preview issue.

I've always loved the preview feature and would like to see it included in this software. It saves so much time - instead of clicking on everything a user for the forum can quickly decide whether or not a thread is of interest to them. Please include this!!!

Top Bottom