Hello Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome back, Kier!
Glad that you're here again.
And sadly, that as I suspected, you had a personal issues.

Still anxious about the future XenForo as it is not clear your problem resolved fully or indefinitely.

In any case, I wish good luck to you, your family and the whole team XenForo and look forward to the announcement of new features.

Kier,

all what i can understand from your post is: that you have a lot problems to defend xenforo (money).

why you dont give us a short roadmap, so that we can see-what comes next. my problem is- i miss to much features in xenforo (sample a tagsystem, a simple useralbum and a simple articlesystem). if i know, that that comes in a near feature, i can renew my license here and buy a lot of new boards..........( i am a person who dont work with addons)

problem is............you say nothing. result is i have startet my new project now with a ip-board.

if we know, what is coming next-it is easy for us to invest our money here. but not, if we have no information!

and you must not deliver allways big updates- an update with one feature is better (in a short term), as a big update with 3 features and it takes 4-6 months........

all the best for you! sorry for my bad english

Hello everyone, it's been a while.

I'm aware that many of you have been concerned that I've not really showed my face around these parts recently. I can only apologise for my absence and ask you to understand that I've been working through some very difficult personal issues that have been a source of uncertainty and anxiety for me for some time now. I've been conflicted as to whether or not to post, as I haven't wanted to announce my return until such time as I've felt confident that I'm back to stay, and that I can devote the necessary time and effort to focus on our great product and wonderful community. Here I am.

By any measure, XenForo has been and continues to be a phenomenal success. The software has turned out better than I could ever have imagined, and the response to it from the community at large has been incredible, both in terms of sales and feedback. Seeing enormous sites like IGN moving their forums over to our software is hugely rewarding. It's a great pity that Mike, Ashley and I have been unable to really celebrate that success due to the dark shadow of the ongoing lawsuits hanging over us and the grotesque cost of mounting a defence against them, which has meant that virtually every penny that XenForo has made has been consumed by legal fees rather than paying us a salary or allowing us to hire more staff to develop our products faster. Nonetheless, I continue to have faith that the claims against us will be shown for what they are, and that in time we will emerge even stronger than before, and will continue to build world-beating software that people will want to use.

I'd like to thank the many people who've sent me personal messages of support recently. It's heart-warming to see that so many of you care enough to get in touch, even when I'm not around. Thank you, all.

Now, let's get on with doing what we do best.
Welcome back Kier :)

I was thrilled when I saw that IGN had moved over (what was their previous software, btw?) - if ever it needed to be ratified (it didn't :p) that the move to XenForo was a wise one then this did it. Our site is sort of in the top 10-12 (of this list) biggest sites (based on number of messages - 3,200,000+) and moving from your comfort zone after nearly ten years is a bloody daunting thing but we quickly found comfort in the incredible quality of your product and the brilliant support of this community.

We are proud to be powered by XenForo and I'm sure there's may thousands more customers who will eventually realise that too.

We are incredibly excited about seeing XenForo grow even more, and welcoming you back only makes that excitement grow even more :D

Kier,

all what i can understand from your post is: that you have a lot problems to defend xenforo (money).

why you dont give us a short roadmap, so that we can see-what comes next. my problem is- i miss to much features in xenforo (sample a tagsystem, a simple useralbum and a simple articlesystem). if i know, that that comes in a near feature, i can renew my license here and buy a lot of new boards..........( i am a person who dont work with addons)

problem is............you say nothing. result is i have startet my new project now with a ip-board.

if we know, what is coming next-it is easy for us to invest our money here. but not, if we have no information!

and you must not deliver allways big updates- an update with one feature is better (in a short term), as a big update with 3 features and it takes 4-6 months........

all the best for you! sorry for my bad english
With all due respect, it's not exactly XenForo's fault that you don't work with add-ons, which most of what you mentioned can be achieved by doing so. You seem to not appreciate that one of the benefits of XenForo is that it doesn't have all that stuff which the majority of forums don't even use. A lot of that is considered unnecessary bloat and most people much prefer a clean, simple, lightweight product such as XenForo that can then be flexible enough for them to build upon themselves.

Oh Kier!, How I missed thee!

The dragon was getting restless and the princess was bored out of her mind since her prince never came to save her, We were playing board games in the mean time. I look forward to continue hearing from you and just seeing you login excites the dragon(her name is daisy).

Till we meet again!

-The Dark Wizard, Villian Extraordinaire

(But seriously I missed you man, you are extremely awesome and you sir are the true wizard out of the both of us.)

With all due respect, it's not exactly XenForo's fault that you don't work with add-ons, which most of what you mentioned can be achieved by doing so. You seem to not appreciate that one of the benefits of XenForo is that it doesn't have all that stuff which the majority of forums don't even use. A lot of that is considered unnecessary bloat and most people much prefer a clean, simple, lightweight product such as XenForo that can then be flexible enough for them to build upon themselves.

yes, but the result is :) then kier lose a lot of customers ............they move to ip or vb. it is really simple!

Kier,

I think you are missing the point of Kier's post, he needed a break for a number of reasons and that break was well deserved and is now over. Good software is not created overnight and you can't expect a new software to have everything for every user from day one. Hopefully you will come back when time has allowed the software the maturity you are hoping for as I am sure it will surpass an old product like IPB or vB much quicker than you consider is likely.

You cant blame the software if you bought too early to suit your requirements.

yes, but the result is :) then kier lose a lot of customers ............they move to ip or vb. it is really simple!

No disrespect intended, but give the man some time. He's made his first post after weeks off, even explaning it has been down to personal issues and in less than an hour your asking him for information and using pressure tactics to get your reply.

I'm guessing the team is more than aware that people would like a development update, and in due time the relevent information will be available. For now, I think people should just be happy they have had some communication and can stop panicing. Yes a lot of the wanted questions are still unanswered, but at least now you have some reassurances for the time being.

Can't even begin to imagine the pressure that yourself, Mike and Ashley and of course your families must be going through both now and over the past year.

I know personally I have used software for many years built by Mike and yourself and spoken to you under a fair few different usernames in the past. However you guys speak to hundreds of people over and over again. You may not remember every person you every speak to, but I can guarentee every single person any of you speak to knows who both of you are.

I too have been quietly concerned over the company and the xenforo product, however I would much rather see you guys are doing ok than any forum I will ever run.

I want this place to succeed for a few reasons:
  • Because you have both created a fantastic product my users love to use.
  • Because I miss the small company ethics where I know the people who are developing, not a company.
  • Because I want to see that a small company CAN NOT be bullied by large organisations constantly, and that not just a fight your fighting for xenforo. Its one you fight for every person who has had a company fail through corporation greed.
If that means it occasionally goes quiet then so be it. If that means people start moaning every now and then through lack of a roadmap then so be it. You guys go for that lawsuit, spend the money you need to and more, and WIN. Because if it does you will get what all three or you so fairly deserve. Success.
Please look after yourselves, all three of you.

When the going get's tough - the toughs get going!
Hopefully you have (or can get) some fine representation so that the cost of the lawsuit defense can be whittled down. Maybe there is possible pro bono or other services available through the EFF.....I may even have some contacts in that end of the world (and maybe others also)....

It's plain wrong for a person not to get the fruits of their labors.

I see big things in the future for XF. I know the programmers can't be tied up in all this BS, but maybe the business guy and/or others (volunteers, etc.) can somehow help.

There usually are solutions to these things...

Welcome back Kier, Mike has done a tremendous job in your absence and kept us updated with develeopment and support. It's good to hear from you and seeing you among us (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom