Hello Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Told you so. Glad to have you back Kier, please open a donation fund or something for this, we will help you, don't give up!

I've absolutely no clue how much money do such lawsuits suck up. But I'm all game to contribute on regular basis to help XF fight IB.

How much can we raise through donations, folks?

I haven't had Media Law class in awhile but I've remembered some cases where litigation from huge companies literally took years. The fact that the XenForo team hasn't given up is a testament to the strength of their character and resolve. Because of that, this product will soar and overcome all obstacles, even such trivial matters about you not posting for awhile :p Good luck man.

I've absolutely no clue how much money do such lawsuits suck up.

Im guessing by this point the case would have chewed through any 6 figure number you might come up with... I know a similar case was pushing the best part of $2,000,000 at the end of its second year. (MDY vs Blizzard)

Why not set up a legal fund donation page? I'm sure many of us would love to support you guys in your battle against your tormentors.

From what I've read I don't think there's a chance you will actually loose this lawsuit, they just want to bully you into calling it quits.

Why not set up a legal fund donation page? I'm sure many of us would love to support you guys in your battle against your tormentors.

From what I've read I don't think there's a chance you will actually loose this lawsuit, they just want to bully you into calling it quits.

UK law is very strict when it comes to businesses and donations. The best you can do is buy more licenses as it will be able to go through the books much more easily.

@Slavik: $20,00,000 !!!!! :unsure: . My best guess wouldn't exceed $20k. I wonder how are XF guys handling this?

UK law is very strict when it comes to businesses and donations. The best you can do is buy more licenses as it will be able to go through the books much more easily.

That's a shame. I'd be inclined to buy more licenses but I could see them gathering much more money if people were able to "donate" smaller amounts (ie. lots of people giving smaller amounts likely nets you more than few people giving you large amounts).

Shame about UK law, I guess those laws are to prevent money laundering or similar.

Maybe 'renewals' for future would work. I can shell out $40 for renewals anytime. Maybe they could offer 5 year renewal for $190. I'm all game!

Maybe 'renewals' for future would work. I can shell out $40 for renewals anytime. Maybe they could offer 5 year renewal for $190. I'm all game!

If they develop a CMS, Blog and Album they might as well bump the price up the same as vBulletin.

Welcome back Kier, sorry to hear that's the situation with the court-case right now and personal problems are never easy.

Buy an enhanced search license, an installation or if you are flush get branding free. Both parties benefit and no issues with disclosure.

Im with you on this. In fact if you set up somewhere I can make a monthly donation to defending xenforo I would like to do this also.

There was a post a while ago about this and I can't remember the details but there's a legal distinction which made buying extra licenses better than a donation to their legal costs (I think I've got that the right way round).

That's easy enough to get around, just call it a subscription for something or other.

I said it to K&M right at the start of this, I'm sure if things got really bad, there would be hundreds of people on here prepared to donate, or purchase a recurring monthly subscription for something, in order to help the financial side of things.

Kier - welcome back and I'm sorry to hear of your personal issues, I hope they have been sorted out for you now. I was beginning to worry that bottle of Southern Comfort I sent you was duff or something and you'd been poisoned by it! lol ;)

Without intending to derail this thread, back when XenForo started, a group of well wishers did set up a website (which is no longer up) for the collection of donations for legal funds for XenForo. However, the XenForo team requested (as per here and here) that such a path not be followed, in the hope of avoiding a LOT of unneeded speculation and rumour, especially at a time when information regarding the lawsuit was yet coming in.

I do now know whether their stance in this regard has changed or not, but considering that this subject came up here on this thread, and the wild speculations / rumours that we have seen around here just recently, I thought perhaps this would be relevant.

You can pay for a renewal over and over again, adding on to the end date. If I am not mistaken. They are individual purchases.

@Slavik: $20,00,000 !!!!! :unsure: . My best guess wouldn't exceed $20k. I wonder how are XF guys handling this?

Suits like these are notoriously expensive, and thats if your the defendant, if your the claimant consider that cost to be considerably more.

Put simply, attorney fees start form $200 an hour. Lets assume the 110 or so documents already documented in this case, each of which Grace + Grace (Xenforos attorneys) charge the minimum $200 an hour and charge 1 hour per document, thats your $20k gone instantly. That would be just to read them

Then you have to write replies, the cost of research, similar cases, evaluating evidence, communication with the claimants, court appearances, telephone conferences... etc ... etc... etc...

Shame about UK law, I guess those laws are to prevent money laundering or similar.

Pretty much.

Buy an enhanced search license, an installation or if you are flush get branding free. Both parties benefit and no issues with disclosure.
And just because you paid for enhanced search doesn't mean you have to install it. And because you paid for installation service doesn't mean they have to go ahead with it. And if you do pay for branding-free you can still keep the copyright in the footer, no need to remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom