XF 1.3 Google+ Page follow icon Branding Issue

Kurt

After implementing SSO with XF1.3 I received the following email.

Thanks for being a valued partner and using the Google+ Platform. We've recently become aware that your use of this feature does not follow our branding guidelines at https://developers.google.com/+/branding-guidelines.

In particular, we identified an issue with your Google+ Page follow icon. Our review found that your icon's logo, color, or button text is incorrect.

Anyone else getting this?

Does your sign up button look like this?

upload_2014-3-24_16-16-57.webp

Or like this?

upload_2014-3-24_16-17-21.webp

If it's the latter, then you need to ensure you have copied over the correct images from the styles/default/* directory to your custom style directory. Your browser console will most likely tell you the exact files and paths it is expecting (they will be listed in red as 404 errors).

I notice it specifically mentions Google+ Pages... do you have anything that provides a link to your Google+ page? If you can share your URL it will make it easier to see what might be the problem instead of guessing.

Did they specifically mention your forum URL?

I notice your homepage has this group of icons:
social-buttons.png

The g+ is definitely against their brand and they might have an issue with the colour scheme there too.

Also on your home page you have what appears to be a non-standard Follow button:

upload_2014-3-25_12-55-28.webp

I think they'd want you to use this one:

https://developers.google.com/+/web/follow/

The Sign in with Google feature probably isn't what they have a problem with as that icon is definitely within their brand guidelines. But, what it probably did do is trigger a review of your entire site to ensure that your entire site complies with their brand. That review may have alerted them to these couple of issues.

Hopefully they will be able to confirm more.

I had another report of this today -- specifically the "page follow icon" rather than "sign in" -- and I did notice that the person had a custom "g+" icon that linked to their page.

Top Bottom