Google Chrome to Adobe Flash: Sayonara!!!

Alpha1

Google is phasing out Adobe Flash in its popular Chrome web browser.

The search giant laid out its plan to nix the buggy multimedia player by the end of the year in a publicly accessible proposal on Google GOOG 0.80% Slides, the company’s slideshow presentation program. The draft roadmap, as first reported on by VentureBeat, details the company’s plan to move beyond Adobe’s ADBE 1.31% software, which is perennially plagued with security vulnerabilities, and transition to HTML5, a markup language that supports multimedia content, as the default.
Full story here:
http://fortune.com/2016/05/16/google-chrome-adobe-flash/

In short: Flash and the Flash Uploader is dead. They will stop working normally in Chrome this year. I have no doubt that Firefox will follow. Most likely this Chrome will completely kill off Flash some time later.

Good, Flash is well past its 'Sell By' date. FWIW, I set Flash to "Ask to Active" months ago in Firefox... I don't miss it!

Beside the annoying update prompts every other day it has real security issues. Uninstalled it from every browser some time ago, happy to hear it is dying out.

Unfortunately, I know of a small number if sites that still rely on flash... I do run away as soon as I see them, but still.

Maybe this'll make them be updated. Or die. Either way works, really.

About time.

Flash is a menace. Slow, buggy, more security issues than all old version of IE combined.

Chrome is market leader by huge margin, disabling flash will force all websites to switch to modern code. Those that won't switch will simply die.

About time.

Flash is a menace. Slow, buggy, more security issues than all old version of IE combined.

Chrome is market leader by huge margin, disabling flash will force all websites to switch to modern code. Those that won't switch will simply die.

I'm not so sure... Chrome disabled support for Silverlight, but many a site still require it (Now TV being one).

Liam

It isn't Google doing this though, it is Adobe themselves who began this last year: http://fortune.com/2015/12/01/adobe-animator-flash/

I remember reading this in Hawaii last year... thinking similar as above, "good ridens flash."

They admit flash is crap, and their suite product uses more HTML5 than flash already, and they're completely phasing it out for the preferred HTML5.

By that logic Adobe killed flash years ago. Chrome uses its own sandboxed implementation that really isnt under adobes distribution control.

Top Bottom