GoodForNothing Classifieds [Paid] [Deleted]

It seems the problem I am having might be with the facebook integration possibly? When I share a classified ad to even my own facebook page. I can't see it on any other account.

FYI - demo store = An exception occurred: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111) in /home/gfnclassifieds/sites/classifieds.gfn.ninja/demo/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php on line 333
now is fixed
We are having some issues with our server and currently in the process of moving to a bigger box which will hopefully fix this issue...

@Mr. Goodie2Shoes we are waiting for some news (also little ones ;))!
Trust me, I am all in for keeping you guys updated, but the change in environment (moved to a rural area for one semester, varsity's policy) has greatly affected my work pace...

It seems the problem I am having might be with the facebook integration possibly? When I share a classified ad to even my own facebook page. I can't see it on any other account.
Sorry, I didn't understand your issue :(

... Trust me, I am all in for keeping you guys updated, but the change in environment (moved to a rural area for one semester, varsity's policy) has greatly affected my work pace...
(didn't want to post this, but I think it's honest and needs to be expressed)
I'm not normally one to complain and have been watching this for over 6 months. Now another issue (moving to a "rural environment") has "greatly affected my work pace..." ... Hmm.. I really want to buy 3 copies of your product but there seems to be a different reason every few weeks/months as to the delays. I know if you locked me up for a few days with some code I'm heavily into, I would crank it out if it was this close to complete. Sadly, many developers have the procrastination or perfectionism bug that causes the last 10% to stall and either take forever, or more often than not, never happen/become orphaned. I hope that is not the case and you muster the willpower to get it done and I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
@popr thank you for your concern which I heartily understand.

Someone of you know that I am an undegrad student and after all the classes and chores I only got about 3-4 hours to work and study on weekdays. Most of the development (more than 60%) for this classified add-on occurred during the two term breaks that I had in the past 10 months, that is about 30 days in total. For my current semester, I am getting a maximum of 1 hour of free time to work (which, anyone who codes, know is nearly not enough to concentrate on your work) for all the days of the week.

Hopefully you'll understand a little bit what I am under: that I am not postponing my release by choice. I want to assure you guys that I wont ever abandon this project. And will push the Release Candidate as fastas I possibly can. :)

Last edited:
True Story: I was a computer engineering undergrad and at the same time worked a regular job for 20+hrs/wk (in 3 different departments), ran a separate consulting business on the side, and maintained an A average. I would sleep less for a few days a week if I had my reputation on the line, this much money invested, and this many people waiting for a product that is far past due. Sometimes I pulled all-nighters, but that's just me. I would get nothing done if I only had 1 hour a day or week to work because you do need a block of hours in order to concentrate.

I don't want to come down too hard on Mr. Goodie as he is young, however this is definitely a 'teachable moment' about managing expectations and delivering a finished product. Critical for any project-based career.

In this case he offered a commercial product (at $50.00 a pop), and was putting it through rapid development, with 10 releases in approximately 3 weeks.

Because of the rapid evolution, as customers we were given every reason to believe that the product would be finished off quickly. Then... nothing. For months.

Compounding the problem is that 1) this add-on is more expensive than most and
2) as a Classified add-on, it is more likely to be used on commercial sites as opposed to 'hobbyist' sites.

That is, people who buy an add-on like this expect a level of service, because they are using it to generate income, not just to play games.

There is a reason that companies frequently go with the more expensive, even if sometimes inferior, solution: the guarantee of routine support.

Now, in this case $50 won't bankrupt anyone, so it is worth taking a shot and seeing what happens (gambling can be fun!) But it is illustrative of a problem that is unfortunately common among add-on developers in the XF community. Outside of a handful of rock-solid, reliable teams (Audentio) and individuals (AndyB, most notably) committing to an add-on increasingly feels like an act of faith. Which should be worrisome to everyone.

Someone of you know that I am an undegrad student and after all the classes and chores I only got about 3-4 hours to work and study on weekdays. Most of the development (more than 60%) for this classified add-on occurred during the two term breaks that I had in the past 10 months, that is about 30 days in total. For my current semester, I am getting a maximum of 1 hour of free time to work (which, anyone who codes, know is nearly not enough to concentrate on your work) for all the days of the week.

Hopefully you'll understand a little bit what I am under: that I am not postponing my release by choice. I want to assure you guys that I wont ever abandon this project. And will push the Release Candidate as fastas I possibly can. :)
Keep up the good work, this is still the best option out there. Can you provide an updated ETA for the feedback and auction features?

Yes, different person has different level of aptitude and I tend to take a little more time than most because as you can see, I am still a novice, learning a lot as I go along. And of course this might trouble some but I try my best to keep everyone happy. Even if I am currently not active much, I respond to any support request or question as soon as I can.

That is, people who buy an add-on like this expect a level of service, because they are using it to generate income, not just to play games.
I already knew this wont be a game when I first took the project. Some of the important modules were (and still) missing when I first publicly released the product. My plan was to publicly release after I was done with my residential semester, in December as I felt something like this will happen. But had to move up the schedule because so many people were asking for the product. Any who, what's done is done...

Because of the rapid evolution, as customers we were given every reason to believe that the product would be finished off quickly. Then... nothing. For months.
Frankly speaking, that wasn't to attract customers but just doing my job ironing out the ugly bugs. The rapid release would've continued if there were any bug that would've crippled a site or the classified section.

Can you provide an updated ETA for the feedback and auction features?
For RC1 (that includes feedback), I'll give out a rock-solid ETA on Monday 12th. For auction, I still have to brainstorm how all the things should work and will start working after we are done with the commerce module/plug-in.

Thanks for the update. I'm hoping you can publish a comprehensive list of changes/improvements with the next RC (I know I put plenty of suggestions on your gfn demo site which you acknowledged but again looking to see what you can bundle in).

The "Price" box only allows a person to type in 8 numbers If any more than that are added it gives an error message and will not let the person post the classified. 8 numbers means the highest price anyone can set the price at would be 99 million. Is there any way to change the price box so it accepts 9 numbers? that way the highest price possible will be 999 million. People routinely sell things for over 100 million so limiting it at 99 will cause some frustration.

This is which price box I mean:

crDJl.jpg

This is where the price box goes on the listing page:

GaiNC.jpg

This is the error message that shows up when more than 8 numbers are added:

jt3Xt.jpg

Code:
Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli statement execute error : Out of range value for column 'price' at row 1 - library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:214
Generated By: Captn Norrington, Yesterday at 10:43 PM

#0 /var/www/vhosts/stratics.com/library/Zend/Db/Statement.php(297): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute(Array)
#1 /var/www/vhosts/stratics.com/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(479): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array)
#2 /var/www/vhosts/stratics.com/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(574): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('INSERT INTO `gf...', Array)
#3 /var/www/vhosts/stratics.com/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1624): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->insert('gfn_classifieds...', Array)
#4 /var/www/vhosts/stratics.com/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1613): XenForo_DataWriter->_insert()
#5 /var/www/vhosts/stratics.com/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1405): XenForo_DataWriter->_save()
#6 /var/www/vhosts/stratics.com/library/GFNClassifieds/ControllerPublic/Classified.php(1023): XenForo_DataWriter->save()
#7 /var/www/vhosts/stratics.com/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): GFNClassifieds_ControllerPublic_Classified->actionSave()
#8 /var/www/vhosts/stratics.com/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#9 /var/www/vhosts/stratics.com/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#10 {main}

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(43) "http://stratics.com/classifieds/items/save/"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(19) {
    ["custom_fields"] => array(4) {
      ["buynow"] => string(1) "0"
      ["reserve"] => string(1) "0"
      ["shard"] => string(1) "a"
      ["contact"] => string(1) "0"
    }
    ["custom_fields_shown"] => array(4) {
      [0] => string(6) "buynow"
      [1] => string(7) "reserve"
      [2] => string(5) "shard"
      [3] => string(7) "contact"
    }
    ["title"] => string(1) "0"
    ["tag_line"] => string(1) "0"
    ["classified_icon_hash"] => string(32) "56f0c804168699e7e9d530591d8d5918"
    ["description_html"] => string(8) "<p>0</p>"
    ["_xfRelativeResolver"] => string(67) "http://stratics.com/classifieds/categories/em-events.5/create-item/"
    ["attachment_hash"] => string(32) "1463b5f2a774c0bbeb28953be7bfc289"
    ["advert_type_id"] => string(1) "1"
    ["price"] => string(9) "100000000"
    ["currency"] => string(2) "GC"
    ["package_id"] => string(1) "2"
    ["gallery_hash"] => string(32) "e1c8c9e15058fea7de32649eb788b2a5"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["category_id"] => string(1) "5"
    ["classified_id"] => string(0) ""
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(48) "/classifieds/categories/em-events.5/create-item/"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

Thanks for the update. I'm hoping you can publish a comprehensive list of changes/improvements with the next RC (I know I put plenty of suggestions on your gfn demo site which you acknowledged but again looking to see what you can bundle in).
I'll compile the list and post it as soon as possible :)

The last update i have on my email is on August 14... Is this the update i want to install?
By that I meant this has been fixed for the next version. Which will be available on 25th hopefully :)

Does this add-on have a review/rate feature for the item itself? Not the trader.
No it doesn't. My main school of thought was that classified items are sold only once so it makes sense to rate the trader instead of the item. Though, the item is linked with the review that the parties post and is shown on the classified view page.

The "Price" box only allows a person to type in 8 numbers
As stated by @Floyd R Turbo I also thought 8 was ridiculous enough :P
I'll increase the length for the next build.

@Mr. Goodie2Shoes
[QUOTE="

No it doesn't. My main school of thought was that classified items are sold only once so it makes sense to rate the trader instead of the item. Though, the item is linked with the review that the parties post and is shown on the classified view page.

.[/QUOTE]

If the quantity available is more than 1 (sometime 10-100) just like in ebay, it would be great to have a review of the item itself and quantity sold.

Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom