XF 1.1 Glitch or...?

lazer

Hi guys

We recently banned a member and it showed up in spam cleaner and the ACP that he had the same IP addresses (in a whole list of other IPs) as other members.

I know the geographical location of some of these members and they are not the same as the banned member.

Is this merely a glitch or the sign of something more sinister?

Cheers.

The IP addresses are domestic ISP's, not proxies or shared networks.

Basically, in the two instances of this (see bottom image), other members - including the banned member - are listed as using the same IP address as another member.

Here's an example...

Member 1 - Domestic ISP (US) - the IP "belongs" to this member. I know his exact location and the IP checks out to his ISP and geo location.
"Banned" Member 2
Member 3 - Domestic ISP (Netherlands)

eg1.webp

Example 2:

eg4.webp

..again, the IP "belongs" to the second member in the list.
The above info is from the following days and times. There are no other clashing IP's in this banned members IP list.

eg3.webp

Actually, I've just checked and this happens on other accounts...

For instance, my IP address is listed in the user IP list, for another user who I absolutely know for a fact is trustworthy and lives in a different country to me.

It's possible that the wrong IP was recorded against a user. This isn't something we've had any other reports of, so it could be add-on related.

It's possible that the wrong IP was recorded against a user.
Yep, that's definitely what it's looking like Mike. In fact, the issue seems to have existed prior to our conversion to xF (so long as historic IP records are transferred during the conversion). That would discount the "add-on" idea...

It doesn't happen a lot, and the correct IP's are being recorded for users..odd huh?

Another thing to consider; I think this is a result of "account buying" between folks.

I see this too often in checking spammer accounts. One person owns the account, the next person buys the account from user, then the result is that the person whose account seems from one IP, to the other.... In fact, if you check the other accounts in the list you provided, you'll see two different IP's and/or including the one that's showing in the same pane as the pictures.

Do you happen to have one of ragtek's old add-ons installed?

--Nevermind, I think a couple of posts above you may have your answer.

I do recall the NUNS ragtek made used to always add the admin's IP address to all those that registered.

Top Bottom