MG 2.0 GDPR and XFMG

Sim

@Slavik and @Chris D ... curious to hear your thoughts on how photos (and thus the XenForo Media Gallery) are impacted by GDPR laws.

My thoughts are that a random photo of someone without any other personally identifiable data is unlikely to cause an issue and it is certainly impractical to get consent from all random, unintentional subjects of photos - as some fearmongering articles have suggested (ie all photos which show even a part of a person must be removed if you don't have explicit consent!).

Obviously if you have a photo of someone and you name them - and it's not for journalistic or artistic purposes (or other permitted uses) - then that is more problematic and consent is reasonably expected.

Thoughts? Do you think we need to implement anything for photos in XFMG in our privacy policy or T&Cs?

So if someone posts a photo of a football stadium packed with people.....
Maybe it might be best to just switch off all servers so not to fall on the wrong side of the rules.

There are so many false interpretations of GDPR and speculation as to what might or might not contravene the act it's almost unworkable.

There are so many false interpretations of GDPR and speculation as to what might or might not contravene the act it's almost unworkable.

Totally!

After one of my moderators sent me a link to a blog post (from Germany) which was just full of fear-mongering about photos and GDPR, I did a quick Google search on the topic and found a heap of other equally fearful articles (written by non-experts!) - all of which were basically advocating the "you'd be best to just shut it all down, just in case".

I'm fully aware that the workable reality is going to be somewhere in the middle of the status-quo and the end-of-the-internet.

Top Bottom