From Debian to CentOS

CentOS 7 or Debian 8?

• CentOS 7

• Debian 8

Results are only viewable after voting.

PlayStage

Hello,

After nearly a decade of using Debian, recommending Debian, learning to do things in the Debian way.
The following question popped out in my head: What is next?
The answer came from Debian developers: Debian 8 with systemd.

(Every time I hear about systemd I instantly think about a RHEL based OS and naturally CentOS.)

So imagine my reaction: Should I continue using Debian (which is to become a mixed drink) or should I go the hard way of learning how to manage a RHEL based OS?
After 1 month of learning, reading documentations and putting aside that odd thinking 'there is nothing after debian', CentOS 7 started to grow on me.

I am still on the learning curve but I must say I am quite surprised how well CentOS 7 behaves (after a proper basic configuration of course).

Feel free to share your thoughts regarding CentOS 7 or any CentOS version.

Kind regards,
George.

If you like to learn, CentOS. It's been my preferred choice for 8 years and I find it the easiest to work with. Yum > apt
Otherwise, stick with what you know. There's nothing inherently wrong with Debian.

Same here.. I put 7 on my new server... and left it for about 20 minutes and kicked it to the curb and went back to 6.6. Just a few things about 7 didn't play nicely with my config's that I have to have for the site (webmail, virtual mail, opendkim, etc).
CentOS 6.6 rocks along just fine on both of the dedi's. I was a big user of Debian - and still like it, but figured I'd play with CentOS for a while for a change.

Heavy CentOS user here - but still learning more about CentOS 7 everyday :D
CentOS 7 has quite a few differences under the hood compared to CentOS 6.6. But the real gotcha for CentOS 7 is with 3rd party YUM repositories - the EL7 equivalent 3rd party repos MAY NOT have the same equivalent packages as their CentOS 6 / EL6 equivalents. This means if you have an application that requires a particular YUM package, make sure it exists in CentOS 7 3rd party repos as it may only exist in CentOS 6 ones. For Centmin Mod LEMP stack, I had to build some of the RPMs myself for stuff I use i.e. re2c 0.14.3, hiredis 0.13 and using 3rd party repo for curl 7.43 (@Tracy Perry prompted that one :) ).

If you have the time and motivation to learn CentOS 7, do it. Otherwise, just use what you're comfortable and familiar with :)

Last edited:
In the 15+ years of running the forum, the only thing I've used is CentOS. No need to use anything else.

As far as general web servers go, centOS over everything.

This means if you have an application that requires a particular YUM package, make sure it exists in CentOS 7 3rd party repos as it may only exist in CentOS 6 ones.
/\ that, or compile sources when available, necessary and appropriate.

For Centmin Mod LEMP stack, I had to build some of the RPMs myself for stuff I use i.e. re2c 0.14.3, hiredis 0.13 and using 3rd party repo for curl 7.43 (@Tracy Perry prompted that one :) ).
Hey now... it was IPS that wanted it... I just relayed the information what it was asking for. :D

I am always trying to learn everything new out there.
So CentOS 7 is for me a natural step.
And the fact that CentOS is supporting their builds for 9 years (CentOS-7 updates until June 30, 2024)
says all. (not like Debian 2 years)

I migrated from CentOS/cpanel to Debian, and from Debian to OpenBSD due to systemd - I can't be happier :)

Using Debian since last few years. For me Centos updates where slow. Might given Centos a try again but too much used to Debian now since Debian 5.0.

I also used Debian before, Now almost 7 years CentOS. I'm running CentOS 7.1 now.
With CentOS 7 you have to learn how Systemd works. But once you know how it works it works very good.

Debian user here. I never had any problem with Debian 7 or 8. What's wrong with systemd anyway? Had no problem with it in daily use (server and dekstop).

I'm incredibly impressed with CentOS 7. I don't have any hard figures, but on a few test servers, 7 is WAY faster than everything else...especially PHP.

Seems way quicker than both CentOS 6 and Debian.

I've got to break down and get another server (or possibly just a small VPS) to test on... I just didn't have the time to troubleshoot all the issues I was having with RoundCube, the virtual Postfix mailboxes and OpenDKIM.
I guess I could take one of the 5 desktops I have sitting doing nothing and install it locally though.

I'm incredibly impressed with CentOS 7. I don't have any hard figures, but on a few test servers, 7 is WAY faster than everything else...especially PHP.

Seems way quicker than both CentOS 6 and Debian.
yup CentOS 7 is faster than CentOS 6.6 from my experience too :)

Debian user here. I never had any problem with Debian 7 or 8. What's wrong with systemd anyway? Had no problem with it in daily use (server and dekstop).
It has tons of bugs, runs in PID 1, etc. It's not an init system, it's an OS, too complex and asking for problems, it's flawed by design.

EWONTFIX - Broken by design: systemd
Why I dislike systemd
Without Systemd
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?no_redirect=0&quicksearch=systemd <- tons of problems and buried bugs... this reminds me to the vB fiasco.

Last edited:
Well, Im using Deb 8. Just install nginx-php-percona, setup website, then forget about it. Running without problem for 2 months.

Top Bottom