From Debian to CentOS

CentOS 7 or Debian 8?

• CentOS 7

• Debian 8

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hello,

It's been a month since my first 'date' with CentOS and I must say I am not disappointed at all.
And that is not all.

Every time I needed to install something I could find an rpm. (with debian sometimes I had to use Ubuntus repos, like java8 for example)
I would say there's an rpm for anything out there.

I really tried to find something I don't like.
For example:
> why debian doesn't have an autocomplete feature when using chown command?
With CentOS I am typing: chown -R t (TAB and it autocompletes to test)
Moreover CentOS knows when I'm calling a group or a folder given the same name within a command.

It wasn't love at first command but the more I'm digging into it the more I love it.
Thank you RedHat :D

Kind regards,
George.

Every time I needed to install something I could find an rpm. (with debian sometimes I had to use Ubuntus repos, like java8 for example)
I would say there's an rpm for anything out there.
there is .deb in debian that equal to .rpm

Or maybe what you mean is

Every time I needed to install something I could find a repo. (with debian sometimes I had to use Ubuntus repos, like java8 for example)
I would say there's a repo for anything out there.

> why debian doesn't have an autocomplete feature when using chown command?
With CentOS I am typing: chown -R t (TAB and it autocompletes to test)
It does have.

there is .deb in debian that equal to .rpm
Not exactly true.
Try finding a deb for java 8 or for sphinxsearch (for debian 8).
This thread is about centos 7 vs debian 8.
As I see most software developers pack their products in rpm format then in deb format (should they choose to).
So who is getting the latest updates first?

I see you are good at twisting words but you lack at examples.

It does have
It doesn't.
Try it.

useradd test
cd /tmp
mkdir folder
chown t (press TAB, if it autocompletes to test then I didn't use Debian all this time).

If not: You need more Debian learning to do.

PS: Another great thing about CentOS: DeltaRPMs

Kind regards,
George.

I initially tried centos 7 just after release and at the time I wasn't all that impressed to be honest so went back to centos 6.

I've deployed a second server though for my forum to act as a dedicated MySQL server and installed centos 7. It seems a lot better these days and with mariadb installed it seems to out perform centos 6.

I think I'll re provision the webserver in the next week or so with centos 7.

There is .deb, there is .rpm, there is .tar.gz, etc every program developer had their own style and taste. Every distro have weakness. There is .tar.gz in Java 8 for debian: Java SE - Downloads | Oracle Technology Network | Oracle

This thread is about centos 7 vs debian 8.
Well if that is what you want then I'm out. I have see enough endless debian vs centos in this forum and other forum.

ps: I can useradd zzz, chown -t z (tab) and automatically change to zzz

Top Bottom