Font Awesome Manager

Font Awesome Manager 1.2.7

No permission to download
Yes, it's the full path to the executable/binary - I thought this was obvious (especially as the placeholder text is /usr/bin/pyftsubset).

Right =)

After a day or so, and with browsing all pages now and then, it eventually found all icons by using the "automatically add missing icons". So I then disabled it, as it is not recommended outside of setup/large changes.. But then, several icons went missing after I disabled this. Is that supposed to happen?

Last edited:
But then, several icons went missing after I disabled this. Is that supposed to happen?
That is really strange and should not happen. All that "Automatically add missing icons" does is injecting a bit of JavaScript and supporting CSS to track missing icons on the client.

Your pyftsubset seems to be installed in a virtualenv, I am not sure this will work without further wiring - you would probably need a wrapper shell script to activate the virtualenv and run pyftsubset within that virtualenv.

Last edited:
That is really strange and should not happen. All that "Automatically add missing icons" does is injecting a bit of JavaScript and supporting CSS to track missing icons on the client.

Weird.. Well when I removed the "automatically add" checkmark, and saved, it started rebuilding the set.. I found that weird, as then it seemed to remove the work it had done by finding the icons it didn't initially find on its own..
Do I need to set build mode to manual before saving?

As you have already mentioned at info page

By subsetting the font to include only those icons that are actually being used, the size of the font files and CSS can often be drastically reduced which does improve page loading time.
Typically, the size of the font files can be reduced by over 80%.

With this great addon, my font file size drop from 376 kb to 24 kb and CSS file size drop from 107 kb to 93.9 kb.

Again my thanks for your support @Kirby 👏

Before Addon:
Before.webp

After Addon
After.webp

Trying to upgrade from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1. Every time I hit upgrade I get this error:

LTB5aZP.png

The addons panel has a notice saying "One or more add-ons currently have actions pending and may be in an inconsistent state. Because of this, some errors may be suppressed and unexpected behavior may occur. If this does not change shortly, please contact the add-on author for guidance."

And the addon itself says "action pending" next to it. I tried totally deleting and re-uploading the addon files but it didn't help. Neither did rebuilding the font awesome subsets. The addon panel will not even let me uninstall this addon so I have no way to get rid of the error, which shows even when it is disabled.

Are you 110% sure that you were trying to upgrade from 1.2.0 (and not from 1.2.0 RC 3 or earlier)?
Did the Add-on actually work correctly before you tried to upgrade?
Can you post a log of a rebuild run with log level debug?

What exactly does "Server Error Log" mean to you?
FAM does log messages (according to the configured log level) to XenForo error log.

An interesting problem surfaced on the old Opera presto.
If you enable the "Automatically add missing Icons" mode, the icons disappear, and after the mode is disabled, they do not appear.

1638738424232.png

While the solution is to disable "Only use CSS for selected weight", then everything works almost normally (the search icon disappears immediately after activating the plugin, but the rest work normally ... probably).

If the plugin is reinstalled with the default settings, then the "normal" icons are displayed.
1638738441040.png

Probably found a bug, please check.

-----------------
Update. Icons do not return to their normal state when "Automatically add missing Icons" is disabled, if the logging mode is set to "INFO". If Error mode is enabled, the icons will be restored.

Last edited:
Mine too, but some users use it persistently and do not let the browser retire. Personal headache.
There was a time when Opera was ahead of the curve in some features (they introduced tabbed browsing first, IIRC) but, yeah, that time has kind of passed.

If I was going to drift away from the big three (Chrome, Edge, Firefox), I would probably go to something like Brave, which still uses the Chromium engine.

I used Firefox for a very long time, but then I moved to the Vivaldi browser. So far, there are no comments on the browser ... although all browsers on the Chromium engine are very similar to each other.

An interesting problem surfaced on the old Opera presto

[...]

Probably found a bug, please check.
The issues you've discovered are most likely caused by JavaScript incompatibilities and incomplete support for Data URIs.

Opera 12 (the last version that used Presto) was released in June 2012 - over 9 years ago.
I am sorry, but I am not going to spend any time to even try to support this.

If you really care to support this dinosaur (heck, that is even older than Internet Explorer 11) I suggest to just turn off features that do not work.

Okay, that's what I did, but I'm worried about the relationship between error logging levels and errors in the fossil browser.

Log levels Info and higher inject JavaScript code to detect missing icons on the client and log them - the same code is used if Automatically add missing icons is enabled (but no rebuilds are being trigerred and the missing icons are not added to the settings).

Turning off Only use CSS for selected weight will cause more and larger font files to be loaded.
I'd keep that enabled even though it breaks Opera < 15.

Once I'm sure that all Font Awesome icons have been found, I'll set the recommended settings.

Thank you for helping me figure out the problem.

Top Bottom