Filezilla or Cyberduck?

I use Transmit for my standard FTP/SCP things. When I had shared web space, I used Filezilla to mass-upload like a XF upgrade. But for now, I upload the zip file and type unzip in my ssh window.

Filezilla kinda had a high CPU load when it uploaded, at least on the Mac.

Although I could use Cyberduck for both, I actually use Cyberduck for my local WebDAV connection for templates and FileZilla for FTP operations.

I have never, ever used Filezilla and never, ever will until they start encrypting information that's stored on the PC. Your userid and passwords are stored in clear text. Don't believe me? Look in the following files.

filezilla.xml
recentservers.xml
sitemanager.xml

FileZilla was the first FTP recommended to me by a coder friend, and I've used it ever since because...well, it does the job. And admirably. Never had any trouble with it. The plain text thing is not an issue for me.

I use Filezilla as I am very easily get used to it after trying out a few of the similar software including Cyberduck.

Never heard of Cyber duck until today.

I use to be a WinFTP fan until that went down hill.

Was a big CuteFTP fan until their free version became so limited (virtually non existent today). I think I stop using them once they added ads or a time limit on it (can't recall which as its been so long).

FileZilla has been where I've been for a while. But I do agree with @Biker that its not smart to save your passwords inside the program.

Will give Cyber Duck a try.

Filezilla didn't used to have a Mac version, so I started off with Cyberduck. Haven't had a reason to switch so I've stuck with it.

There's actually a few things I don't like about Filezilla, and now Cyberduck runs on Windows so I've never really had to use it.

Cyberduck as it supports uploading to my Rackspace CDN. Filezilla still lacks 2 crucial features, user encryption as @Biker pointed out and CDN support

I'm looking at Transmit for OSX - and want to know if the latest version can really transfer files from server to server. What if I want to transfer files from my Server To Amazon S3 using Transmit? Can I do that?

Been using FlashFXP for years on Windows and still love it to the day. They keep releasing awesome updates constantly and it's rock solid for me.

CyberDuck

It was first good FTP client I found after switching to Mac many years ago. It is very easy to use with drag/drop from Path Finder, unlike complex clients that have left and right bars for local and remote directories.

Now I also use it for WebDav and I'm using it on my Windows laptop.

I'm looking at Transmit for OSX - and want to know if the latest version can really transfer files from server to server. What if I want to transfer files from my Server To Amazon S3 using Transmit? Can I do that?

Transmit's really cool. And yes, you can do that. You can open one server one the left and then your S3 on the right and move files between both :)

Top Bottom