Filezilla or Cyberduck?

I'm looking at Transmit for OSX - and want to know if the latest version can really transfer files from server to server. What if I want to transfer files from my Server To Amazon S3 using Transmit? Can I do that?

You can open as many simultaneous FTP connections as you want in Cyberduck and you can drag and drop between them, even across servers. And it's free. Just saying.

So after trying Cyber Duck.... I'm back to FileZilla

I know people like that folder view. But you do know Microsoft Windows can do that by default without a program, right?

I much prefer the 2 side by side windows. And yes, FileZilla can do drag and drop, just like Cyber Duck.

@Edrondol has given me something else to play with though.... CoreFTP looks interesting.

Lol not really.

oh well, yes it does. Because it's GTK+ and like any GTK+ programs looks like 1998 on Windows. Don't know what they did wrong, but it's the same with all those programs. At least to my experience.
It looks a little bit more native on OS X, but it's still just a port. They couldn't even handle to put the font correctly in the update notification dialogue.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2013-06-25 um 22.46.36.webp
    Bildschirmfoto 2013-06-25 um 22.46.36.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 71
I have never, ever used Filezilla and never, ever will until they start encrypting information that's stored on the PC. Your userid and passwords are stored in clear text. Don't believe me? Look in the following files.

filezilla.xml
recentservers.xml
sitemanager.xml

If you want to go one step further, your FTP passwords and usernames are all transmitted in plain text as well.

FileZilla because I am used to it.
This. And keep in mind, I swapped from "CuteFTP" and/or "SmartFTP" to FZ because of either problems or pay-per-year. Ended up liking FZ. :)
FileZilla has been where I've been for a while. But I do agree with @Biker that its not smart to save your passwords inside the program.
Also agree. Every session: Clear the data.
If you want to go one step further, your FTP passwords and usernames are all transmitted in plain text as well.
If you have a router that's locked down to just you and devices you trust, this won't matter.

Lastly, change your password every 3 to 6 months. Or when you feel wary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom