Featured Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. This featured threads addon is beginning to look so good that I'm considering importing all my blogs to threads and uninstalling Better Blogs.

Hmm. This featured threads addon is beginning to look so good that I'm considering importing all my blogs to threads and uninstalling Better Blogs.

I have to admit the uses for this add-on are virtually endless.

Reactions: DRE
You.

Seriously though, this add-on is in no way anything like a blog.
It just puts a snippet of promoted threads on the forum index.

You.

Seriously though, this add-on is in no way anything like a blog.
It just puts a snippet of promoted threads on the forum index.
How many can we promote and how many can show up on the index? Is there a randomized display or is it just latest promoted threads?

Brogan said:
A maximum number of threads can be configured and each page load will randomly select one of those threads.
When a new thread is featured, the oldest thread will be dropped.
So it's kind of like Featured Resources but without oldest resources being dropped and it only shows one featured thread per page unlike the featured resources feature which can show more than one.

I was working on the final template and associated code last night.

Then I suddenly realised I hadn't written the code related to the automatic expiry and maximum count facepalm.gif

Expired threads are now automatically unfeatured and once the max limit set in the ACP is hit, the oldest featured thread is removed.

Good job I remembered about those otherwise I would have looked a bit foolish releasing it without that functionality, even though the options are there :rolleyes:

So just one main function left to do, which is to display the actual threads and then it's ready for release.

Expired threads are now automatically unfeatured and once the max limit set in the ACP is hit, the oldest featured thread is removed.

Good job I remembered about those otherwise I would have looked a bit foolish releasing it without that functionality, even though the options are there :rolleyes:

So just one main function left to do, which is to display the actual threads and then it's ready for release.

So I'll ask. Have you enjoyed developing this add-on? Was it more work than you first anticipated that it would be @Brogan?

I knew it was going to be tough and it has lived up to my expectations.

If not for Chris I would never have got this far and would have thrown the towel in long ago.

Both Chris and Mike did say that this was probably a tad ambitious for a first add-on for someone who knew absolutely nothing about php, so I only have myself to blame :D

I must be some sort of masochist though as I already have plans for the next version upload_2013-11-29_0-12-52.webp

I knew it was going to be tough and it has lived up to my expectations.

If not for Chris I would never have got this far and would have thrown the towel in long ago.

Both Chris and Mike did say that this was probably a tad ambitious for a first add-on for someone who knew absolutely nothing about php, so I only have myself to blame :D

I must be some sort of masochist though as I already have plans for the next version View attachment 62085

I think you've pushed yourself above and beyond and really developed something special (not just say this on a whim) I've followed this since you started and you've packed this add-on with so many great functions that are going to be invaluable to the person who's using it. It's been good seeing you work through all this and really going at it getting past each hurdle you encounter.

I think however, mike will need to make a update to the resource manager and implement more star ratings to the ratings function. :D

Edit: Excellent stuff Chris for the help provided. :thumbsup:

Final update from me before release then.
It's all working apart from one minor query and some tidying, so now I will review and optimise the code and fully test.

Despite what I said earlier, I am actually considering making this a paid add-on.

I appreciate that may disappoint some but I have actually expanded the functionality based on the suggestions made in this thread (with yet more on the To Do list) and I have optimised it for general use, not just my own site.
It has also been a considerable amount of work, for both me and Chris, and I would like to reimburse his efforts in some small way.

Final update from me before release then.
It's all working apart from one minor query and some tidying, so now I will review and optimise the code and fully test.

Despite what I said earlier, I am actually considering making this a paid add-on.

I appreciate that may disappoint some but I have actually expanded the functionality based on the suggestions made in this thread (with yet more on the To Do list) and I have optimised it for general use, not just my own site.
It has also been a considerable amount of work, for both me and Chris, and I would like to reimburse his efforts in some small way.

I don't think you ever have to explain yourself. You've put in the blood sweat and tears into this with your time. I wouldn't expect this to be a free add-on and glad it may be paid. Any complaints towards that from anyone who disagree with that should just do the right thing and hold their tongue.

Can't wait to try this. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom