Not a bug Failure when embedding images from Xenforo

raytrails

When trying to embed images into a vBulletin forum that are uploaded into an XF forum, it doesn't show.

And it doesn't help removing the question mark/number in the end of the filename.

Is the View attachments to posts permission set to Allow for the Unregistered / Unconfirmed user group?

It is entirely relevant; being registered on both forums has nothing to do with it.

If you don't allow guests to view images they can't be embedded on other sites.

Do you see the contradiction here?

I'm registered, and STILL doesn't see it. When I right-click/copy an image here, I take for granted that it can be embedded in other forums. Whether guests can view images is pretty much not relevant, as I see it. When I'm able to right-click the full sized image, I already have the permission to view it - hence it should be able to embed it elsewhere.

Are you trying to embed something from here? Can you give me an example of what you're trying to embed?

A good example would be your avatar Mike, If I visit the page showing it here: http://xenforo.com/community/data/avatars/l/0/3.jpg?1322066215

Take note how there are numbers after JPG, like so. "3.jpg?1322066215"

If I tried to embed that on another site it doesn't display the avatar because it doesn't end in JPG, but has numbers after it.

3.jpg

Hmm, that's odd. Seems to work here, but have had the same issue when trying to embed an image from here, or any XenForo forum onto another forum using IMG tags. Could be because I was embeding onto a none XenForo forum - IE: vBulletin 3. Although, it wasn't an avatar I tried to embed on another uploaded here at the time, but an image displayed in a post (uploaded).

That's an issue with that software then.

But in the case of XenForo.com, we also do some hot-linking protection.

Thinking about it, the image I was trying to embed at the time was from here, so if you use hotlink protection that will explain why. I didn't think you used that here.

Do you see the contradiction here?

I'm registered, and STILL doesn't see it. When I right-click/copy an image here, I take for granted that it can be embedded in other forums. Whether guests can view images is pretty much not relevant, as I see it. When I'm able to right-click the full sized image, I already have the permission to view it - hence it should be able to embed it elsewhere.

I think you are missing something here.

If YOU have permission to view it here thats one thing. YOU will see it, but everyone else will not see it at all (unless of course, they have view permissions for here too)

.... when you are trying to view it from another forum, it's loading it as a guest on this forum.
That's not actually true to my knowledge. I may be wrong, but my logic tells me that if he is signed into THIS forum with the remember me option (most of us do that right?) then the image will show for him on any website regardless (subject to hot-linking / referer limitations). It wont load as a guest anywhere as the image request will come from his browser and not the website where the image is placed.

Obviously if he tried to 'attach' the image to a post then that is a different matter as the website in question will make the request (and fall in the guest group here).

That's not actually true to my knowledge. I may be wrong, but my logic tells me that if he is signed into THIS forum with the remember me option (most of us do that right?) then the image will show for him on any website regardless (subject to hot-linking / referer limitations). It wont load as a guest anywhere as the image request will come from his browser and not the website where the image is placed.

Obviously if he tried to 'attach' the image to a post then that is a different matter as the website in question will make the request (and fall in the guest group here).
Point taken there, if you are signed in yes it would work...but it sounds like they have something protecting you from doing that here. Which honestly is fine and their perogative as it's their bandwidth you are using in that situation.

Top Bottom