1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a Bug Failure when embedding images from Xenforo

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Garamond, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Garamond

Garamond Well-Known Member

When trying to embed images into a vBulletin forum that are uploaded into an XF forum, it doesn't show.

And it doesn't help removing the question mark/number in the end of the filename.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Is the View attachments to posts permission set to Allow for the Unregistered / Unconfirmed user group?

3. Garamond

Not relevant per se, because I'm registered both here and there, and it doesn't show for me.

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It is entirely relevant; being registered on both forums has nothing to do with it.

If you don't allow guests to view images they can't be embedded on other sites.

5. Garamond

Do you see the contradiction here?

I'm registered, and STILL doesn't see it. When I right-click/copy an image here, I take for granted that it can be embedded in other forums. Whether guests can view images is pretty much not relevant, as I see it. When I'm able to right-click the full sized image, I already have the permission to view it - hence it should be able to embed it elsewhere.

6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Are you trying to embed something from here? Can you give me an example of what you're trying to embed?

7. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

A good example would be your avatar Mike, If I visit the page showing it here: http://xenforo.com/community/data/avatars/l/0/3.jpg?1322066215

Take note how there are numbers after JPG, like so. "3.jpg?1322066215"

If I tried to embed that on another site it doesn't display the avatar because it doesn't end in JPG, but has numbers after it.

[​IMG]

Hmm, that's odd. Seems to work here, but have had the same issue when trying to embed an image from here, or any XenForo forum onto another forum using IMG tags. Could be because I was embeding onto a none XenForo forum - IE: vBulletin 3. Although, it wasn't an avatar I tried to embed on another uploaded here at the time, but an image displayed in a post (uploaded).

8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

That's an issue with that software then.

But in the case of XenForo.com, we also do some hot-linking protection.

9. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

Thinking about it, the image I was trying to embed at the time was from here, so if you use hotlink protection that will explain why. I didn't think you used that here.

10. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

I think you are missing something here.

If YOU have permission to view it here thats one thing. YOU will see it, but everyone else will not see it at all (unless of course, they have view permissions for here too)

11. DroidHost

DroidHost Well-Known Member

I can Confirm that this is not an issue since my attachments was showon in many vb Forums ...

12. Garamond

For me it's an issue when I can't embed images elsewhere that I have posted here myself.

13. DroidHost

I most say the attachments was in my own xf forum .... and many vb forums ...

14. bambua

bambua Well-Known Member

Mike said they protect hot links here, and beyond that, when you are trying to view it from another forum, it's loading it as a guest on this forum.

15. DroidHost

here they dong give permission to ghosts to view the attachments

16. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

That's not actually true to my knowledge. I may be wrong, but my logic tells me that if he is signed into THIS forum with the remember me option (most of us do that right?) then the image will show for him on any website regardless (subject to hot-linking / referer limitations). It wont load as a guest anywhere as the image request will come from his browser and not the website where the image is placed.

Obviously if he tried to 'attach' the image to a post then that is a different matter as the website in question will make the request (and fall in the guest group here).

DroidHost likes this.
  17. bambua

bambua Well-Known Member

Point taken there, if you are signed in yes it would work...but it sounds like they have something protecting you from doing that here. Which honestly is fine and their perogative as it's their bandwidth you are using in that situation.