XF 1.0 Everyone's News Feed

There's an alternative way to find new content and keep up with what is going on with XenForo than clicking the 'What's new?' link.

If you click on the 'Members' tab, and then the 'Everyone's news feed' link, you will find the global activity stream. Everything that all members of the board does is published to the news feed. It's kinda fun to sit on that page and refresh from time to time to discover what people are doing and posting about.

Is there a way to follow someone from someone's profile? For example, to follow Mike, I searched around for one of his posts, hit his avatar and then follow. I was at first in his member page from the member's link but couldn't find a follow link.

Could you possibly add a link to this feature in the drop down in the header? (The one that appears when clicking the username).

I feel like it would get a lot more notice if it was linked to from there as well. :)

Just curious, what kind of server resources would be required to do an auto-refresh Twitter-type thing? :)

At least, minimum, 4GB RAM, RAID-5 disk array, quad-core i7 or better. Basically, a high end server for continuous polling. Not to mention, generous bandwidth requirements.

How have you come to that conclusion, vrtsolus, without seeing the code that drives the system, or asking how many concurrent users the system must support, or how many users are pushing data to the news feed?

How have you come to that conclusion, vrtsolus, without seeing the code that drives the system, or asking how many concurrent users the system must support, or how many users are pushing data to the news feed?

So, Kier, what do you think the requirements are? :D

An auto-polling alert system that provides a push capability would be facing requests more than 1 per second. Additional collusion to the main page loading, this could bring the server down quite easily on a server without great specifications.

Edit: oh hang on, it's a completely different thing - disregard me.

Is there a way to follow someone from someone's profile? For example, to follow Mike, I searched around for one of his posts, hit his avatar and then follow. I was at first in his member page from the member's link but couldn't find a follow link.

You can now follow someone from their member card or their profile page without a page refresh.

Top Bottom