XF 1.0 Everyone's News Feed

There's an alternative way to find new content and keep up with what is going on with XenForo than clicking the 'What's new?' link.

If you click on the 'Members' tab, and then the 'Everyone's news feed' link, you will find the global activity stream. Everything that all members of the board does is published to the news feed. It's kinda fun to sit on that page and refresh from time to time to discover what people are doing and posting about.

There's an alternative way to find new content and keep up with what is going on with XenForo than clicking the 'What's new?' link.

If you click on the 'Members' tab, and then the 'Everyone's news feed' link, you will find the global activity stream. Everything that all members of the board does is published to the news feed. It's kinda fun to sit on that page and refresh from time to time to discover what people are doing and posting about.

could there be a option to autorefresh it every 3minutes?

All I see it the 'Recent Activity' option from the Member Listing

It should have auto-refresh yes, I know since I read this would be bad for servers, but I guess if:
- Check only untill as at least 1 update, and show like Twitter "There is more to read, click to refresh", then it wont refresh anymore until user clicks on refresh, then using ajax it will show the new itens.

Like, that would not fix that problem with auto-refresh and makes an nice way to refresh too?

I'm a XF noobie so please excuse me if I'm taking this thread off topic or if the answer to my question is obvious and located somewhere I could have easily search for.

But for those of us who are running forums with very small memberships, say less than 25 members, it would be cool to email these updates to users who wished to receive them, so that they can keep track of forum updates via email and mark those that they want to reply to when they have time. Perhaps that's available via Recent Activity of members being followed, but I didn't see it. If it is already available, I'd appreciate a pointer. If not, then please take it as a feature request suggestion.

Also, is this content available as an RSS feed, or an API?

There is an RSS feed, as well as the ability to watch forums and threads, which alerts members to new activity.

There is an RSS feed, as well as the ability to watch forums and threads, which alerts members to new activity.
Right, but the member ONLY receives an email if they've taken an overt action to "Watch" a thread, correct? I'd like a member to receive an email for all new activity, or for all new activity from selected other members.

If I understand RSS feeds correctly, they can't be turned into individual emails, or a daily email digest, or can they? My goal is to try and emulate some of the features email discussion list software for those of my members that won't let go of email.

I just stumbled upon an old one of @Jeremy 's posts that will allow me to achieve most of the functionality that I desire. From what I understand, this will allow Watched Threads to continue to produce alerts and email notifications, even if the watched thread remains unread by the watching member. Thanks @Jeremy.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/disable-notifications-block.55887/page-2#post-597611

in library/XenForo/Model/ForumWatch.php find and comment out the following lines:
PHP:
  if (isset(self::$_preventDoubleNotify[$thread['thread_id']][$user['user_id']]))
  {
  continue;
  }
  self::$_preventDoubleNotify[$thread['thread_id']][$user['user_id']] = true;
In library/XenForo/Model/ThreadWatch.php find and comment out the following lines:
PHP:
  if (isset(self::$_preventDoubleNotify[$thread['thread_id']][$user['user_id']]))
  {
  continue;
  }
  self::$_preventDoubleNotify[$thread['thread_id']][$user['user_id']] = true;
I know others have been looking for similar functionality as I've seen quite a few other similar requests by other members here. Hence, i thought I would share what I found in hopes it helps others.

Top Bottom