ElasticSearch Essentials

ElasticSearch Essentials [Paid] 3.16.1

No permission to buy ($30.00)
Looking to get this but interested to know if you can add the Similar threads as a widget too? Example: https://www.joyfreak.com/threads/where-did-you-get-your-username-from.3014/
The similar threads stuff was mostly done before I had a good understanding of the XenForo widget system. Since then no one has asked for it as a widget.

Any reason why similar threads works on post thread page and not on quick thread too?
Never needed it as I have quick thread disabled on my own forums, and no one has requested/funded similar threads to be implemented in the quick thread form.

Xon updated ElasticSearch Essentials with a new update entry:

3.3.0 - Feature update

• MySQL compatibility tweaks for bulk-search indexer
  • Add Similar thread feature for quick thread create
  • Add a search widget with auto-complete support
  • Allow member search to accept thread/post search criteria (ie limit to forums, prefixes, etc)
  • Autocomplete changes
    • Rework autocomplete javascript again
    • Fix Pixel Exit style compatibility with "search location" style property
    • Remove front-end highlighting as it gives useless results for partial matches...

Read the rest of this update entry...

If that "silly" XF behaviour is what I think it is, then it's likely that the TM hasn't been applying for some time as it relates to a bug that we fixed in XF 2.1.2.

At that point the template changed and whatever workaround Xon applied probably stopped matching at that point.

Generally you do not need to be concerned about whether TMs are applying, or not, unless they impede the functionality of the add-on or cause some other errors. And when they don't apply, it's more likely to be that they are just no longer relevant or imply a bug in the add-on, not XF itself (in other words, please don't report these as bugs to us as they are unlikely to be).

That is a fairly old workaround that is expected to fail for modern version of XenForo. A number of my add-ons have things like that. I've updated the wording to be explicit it is a version-dependent template modification.

I thought I had caught all the descriptions to ensure they are consistent in that respect, but looks like I missed some.

Feature Request:

Can "similar threads" in the thread view be user controlled? ie: users can switch the option off in their preferences (usergroup select)? I think the feature is great for new users and guests, but my 15+ year regulars find it annoying.

Thank you :)

@woody this can be done using a user custom field, and a user group promotion which adds them to a group to disable the relevant permissions via a "never".

The secret glue is my (free) addon;

This allows user group promotions to be run when user's change their profile settings, which makes it an instant 'use a custom field to drive permissions' feature.

Top Bottom