XF 1.3 Editor Toolbar, Spoiler BB Code and MultiQuote

Today, I'm going to show you a handful of changes in XenForo 1.3 that are all related to posting and editing messages.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo
  • Editor toolbar adjustments
  • [SPOILER] BB Code
  • MultiQuote

This and also does the spoiler tag work inline? Because the problem I ran into when trying to find a spoiler tag mod for my site about TV shows was that the spoiler insert had to be on it's own line which ruined the flow of the conversation.
We've chosen a block approach. You could still do an inline style with a custom BB code if you wanted. I can't think of an approach other than the reddit-style that works inline (http://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/..._playing_as_a_character_vs_playing_as/ceqr4kk).

I like the spoiler button. It's something that is familiar from other forum software too.

I did have a spoil code on phpBB that worked similarly to Reddit's inline style, along with the spoiler code with the button. I found that hardly anyone used the spoil code, they always prefered the spoiler code. Besides, spoiler with a button looks a lot nicer than chunks of blacked-out text.

That's a matter of personal preference, surely?
Of course. A button looks 'hidden'. When it's a spoiler; the quote-like appearance can attract attention to it; and only those who want to view the spoiler will click on it.

I hope we'll be able to style the spoilers. :)

I did have a spoil code on phpBB that worked similarly to Reddit's inline style, along with the spoiler code with the button. I found that hardly anyone used the spoil code, they always prefered the spoiler code. Besides, spoiler with a button looks a lot nicer than chunks of blacked-out text.

This mostly has a user interface reason. Perhaps you had a "Spoiler" button in your editor and the "spoil" code had to be written manually?

Other than that, I cannot think why anyone would prefer the one significantly more over the other.

This mostly has a user interface reason. Perhaps you had a "Spoiler" button in your editor and the "spoil" code had to be written manually?

Other than that, I cannot think why anyone would prefer the one significantly more over the other.
Nope, both had a button in the editor.

People just simply preferred the button that appeared in the post compared to the reddit-style obscured text.

We've chosen a block approach. You could still do an inline style with a custom BB code if you wanted. I can't think of an approach other than the reddit-style that works inline (http://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/..._playing_as_a_character_vs_playing_as/ceqr4kk).
The good thing about the Reddit approach is it is CSS based, therefore not reliant on JavaScript. Presumably there's no fall back in case someone has JS disabled. That being said, I'm not saying there necessarily should be. I think anyone who willingly browses the internet with JS blanket disabled probably expects to not have a perfect experience.

The good thing about the Reddit approach is it is CSS based, therefore not reliant on JavaScript. Presumably there's no fall back in case someone has JS disabled. That being said, I'm not saying there necessarily should be. I think anyone who willingly browses the internet with JS blanket disabled probably expects to not have a perfect experience.
Various parts of Xenforo are already reliant on JavaScript to function properly. Last night I had a user commenting that he couldn't see New Posts or Mark Forums Read in the nav bar on his PS3 browser. Turned out the responsive design had kicked in due to the screen resolution and he had JavaScript turned off. So if spoilers don't work with JavaScript turned off, that's no biggie really.

How long do multiquote selected items stay around for? Is it saved against the user or browser? Personally i find multi quoting easier and far faster with the quote me addon (which can also quote selected parts of the post)....however the multi quote system could perhaps be used for personal bookmarks as such? or bad idea?

How long do multiquote selected items stay around for?

I was thinking something similar... obviously, once quotes get used in a multiquote post, the selected quotes get unselected. But Kier stated in the video that if you don't choose a quote to be included in a multiquote post, it won't get unselected (i.e. it will still appear in the next multiquote post selection). So... for instance, how can we quickly unselect all posts selected for a multiquote without actually including them in a multiquote post?

The features mentioned in the 1.3 threads are from an unreleased version, once they are released they will appear in the tool bars.

Top Bottom