1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editor Question

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by mrGTB, Aug 14, 2010.

1. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

Just a quick question. Are there any plans at some point to replace the TinyMCE editor with your own custom one. Much like vBulletin uses it's own version?
    TrixieTang likes this.
  2. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Don't quote me on this, but I think someone stated that they planned to stay with TinyMCE, simply because it reduces development components and more time can be allocated elsewhere.
  3. Floris

Floris Guest

This has already been answered in other threads. Please try search. Hope you are having a great day!
  4. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

OK, I'll take it as a No then.
  5. Hauzer

Hauzer Member

Honesty, I don't really mind the TinyMCE editor and it is pretty neat as well as simple. Although if xenForo got it's own editor, I think that would be quite a fascinating feature but it's not crucially needed. :(
  6. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

If you keep TinyMCE then, will you be making use of more of it's formatting features for posts?
  7. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure this is a planned "feature".
  8. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

Building a proprietary WYSIWYG for XenForo? As unnecessary as XenForo writing their own jQuery framework.

Using something other than TinyMCE? There are dozens of choices. Joomla Content Editor is amazing and I am sure there are many others.
  9. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Kier or Mike stated it was easy enough to include any of those as they're plugin based.
  10. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

and GPL
  11. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

and a killa. :(
  12. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

13. Floris

Floris Guest

Silly how Joomla developers keep throwing their arms in the air in praise over the GPL status of things, while it's actually also working against the progress of Joomla.
  14. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

I don't think that was what Kier meant when he said GPL. XenForo is a commercial product.
  15. Floris

Floris Guest

That's not what I meant with my post Gary.

Anyway, back on topic.

I think the TinyMCE editor is just fine, it works, and works well. And I hope it will get tweaked a bit more to the preferences of users, or replaced in the future with a XenForo editor.
  16. James

James Well-Known Member

I'm already familiar with the TinyMCE editor and I love how easily customisable it is. I have no problem with it, but I would love to see a XenForo editor fully integrated with the ACP (or with hooks) at some point in the near future.
  17. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

TinyMCE isn't that bad really
  18. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I really hope it will be easy to add buttons like that to the editor, along with custom buttons.
  19. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

20. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

just a few amusements... more options in the quick reply box leads to a full page editor page. but there are apparently no new options. :D

of course, i understand that this is an alpha edition and you might add more features to the full page editor in the future...

and i can actually select wingdings and webdings font! why would anyone need it!

that forces me to ask a general question. what is the need to offer font options in an editor on a discussion forum... it is simply going to be misused 99% of the times. :)