1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edit Meta Description for Threads 1.0.5

Allows permissible usergroups to manually set Meta Description for Search Engine Optimization!

1. OakleyForum

OakleyForum Active Member

OakleyForum submitted a new resource:

Edit Meta Description for Threads - Allows permissible user group to set their own Meta Description for Search Engines!

Read more about this resource...

2. tajhay

tajhay Well-Known Member

What does the branding look like?

3. Nobita.Kun

Nobita.Kun Well-Known Member

In version 1.0: Below "Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd." and display on all pages :)

And in version 1.0.1: Only show on index :)

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  4. Kerby

Kerby Active Member

In View of SEO, does this meta description for threads is worth the customizing effort?

I think meta description is low weight for SEO, almost useless.

5. arms

arms Active Member

6. OakleyForum

Meta keyword is of very little importance, but description still plays a big role. Title tag and description are still 2 of the biggest on site factors. On my forum, we have a lot of content with keyword rich titles, but they rank poorly since the first post contains images, or very few words. By being able to insert a relevant Meta Description with the exact search title, those pages will rank higher.

7. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Have you seen results yet?

Kerby likes this.
  8. Daniel-SP

Daniel-SP Active Member

The mainsteam of ranking is the content with some other requirements and we can assume that the meta description isn't that important for ranking BUT, you need to remember that by manipulating a meta description of a thread you will make google ignore the first part of your content and show the user whats placed there if he searches the title keyword, with this, we have some pros:
    1. Google will continue tracking your forum's threads based on the content they have and not only on the meta you shown
    2. With a meta description, you can be more precise describing the main objective of the thread. By default, the snippet shown on results usually show the parts contain the thread beggining if the keyword match the title of the post. Talking about good and wuality threads content, its hard to assume that the first 30~ words of it will have the complete description of whats going to be discussed there.
    3. The case shown by the author of the resource is a true point: If there are only images, you can tell google what are they about and help you to rank on a specific word.
    Considering point 2, you can consider that even not ebing on the top of the search, the description will have much more change to attract your target if he used any keyword related to the title of the thread.

A question: Why it doesn't edit the og:description of that thread too ??It would be really nice !

Some suggestions for releases:
    • Add the option to edit the meta descriptions for thread nodes, pages and resources
    • Add a filed to fill the meta during the thread creation for allowed groups.

tajhay and OakleyForum like this.
  9. OakleyForum

10. OakleyForum

I haven't gone through and edited any of my meta descriptions yet. I plan on doing it later today.

11. Nobita.Kun

Nobita.Kun Well-Known Member

Of course ^^

Nope. If you assign an meta for thread so its will replace default meta description by your content. Only a meta tag :)

12. Daniel-SP

Daniel-SP Active Member

I have edited it before ur answer to be more clear.. check now if you agree with me :p

13. Daniel-SP

Daniel-SP Active Member

Idk why the end of my post just vanished. I updated it again with a second suggestion for future releases.

The idea of this addon is awesome and should be out of box :p

14. OakleyForum

I like the idea of using it for pages, nodes, resources etc. though this is somewhat done considering you control the description of these items. This was mainly created as an admin tool, which is why there isn't the option at thread creation.

I think most members and even some mods aren't well versed enough in SEO/Keyword Optimization to write their own meta description, as evidenced by many thread titles and first posts. In the past, I already started sorting posts by views, and finding old threads with very little views. Usually these had terrible names such as "Watch this", so I began optimizing the titles, but with out proper meta descriptions they still didn't rank great. That's where this comes in.

I appreciate the feedback/rating and will take it all into consideration for the future.

Daniel-SP likes this.
  15. Daniel-SP

Daniel-SP Active Member

You are right !

About the suggestion for thread creation, I'm just considering that we have many boards that some main sections only moderators or admins have the power to contruct threads and it would avoid a lot of word editing them after creation.

OFC I'm considering my experience too as a new board that I create 99% the threads myself :p

16. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

If you get results will you post about it?

17. OakleyForum

Yes, will probably take a few days, but I will update regarding Search Engine results and ranking changes.

Kerby and DRE like this.
  18. OakleyForum

Daniel-SP likes this.
  19. zagorskey

zagorskey Active Member

Forcing a copyright without an option for removal is the only thing stopping me from installing your add-on. Apart from that, it's a useful one.

20. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

Can you add more meta tags? Like author, noindex etc.