Edit Meta Description for Threads

Edit Meta Description for Threads 1.0.5

No permission to download

OakleyForum

OakleyForum submitted a new resource:

Edit Meta Description for Threads - Allows permissible user group to set their own Meta Description for Search Engines!

Description
This add-on allows you to manually set the meta-description of any thread. This is especially useful for forums:
  • Where posts contain images or display tags in the meta-description
    [*]Where the first post contains very few relevant keywords and therefore ranks poorly
    [/LIST]
    [B][U]Features[/U][/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Can set which usergroups have the ability to edit meta descriptions
    [*]Pop-up menu in "Thread Tools>Edit Meta description"
    [*]If no...

Read more about this resource...

In View of SEO, does this meta description for threads is worth the customizing effort?

I think meta description is low weight for SEO, almost useless.

Meta keyword is of very little importance, but description still plays a big role. Title tag and description are still 2 of the biggest on site factors. On my forum, we have a lot of content with keyword rich titles, but they rank poorly since the first post contains images, or very few words. By being able to insert a relevant Meta Description with the exact search title, those pages will rank higher.

On my forum, they rank poorly since the first post contains images, or very few words. By being able to insert a relevant Meta Description with the exact search title, those pages will rank higher.
Have you seen results yet?

The mainsteam of ranking is the content with some other requirements and we can assume that the meta description isn't that important for ranking BUT, you need to remember that by manipulating a meta description of a thread you will make google ignore the first part of your content and show the user whats placed there if he searches the title keyword, with this, we have some pros:
  1. Google will continue tracking your forum's threads based on the content they have and not only on the meta you shown
  2. With a meta description, you can be more precise describing the main objective of the thread. By default, the snippet shown on results usually show the parts contain the thread beggining if the keyword match the title of the post. Talking about good and wuality threads content, its hard to assume that the first 30~ words of it will have the complete description of whats going to be discussed there.
  3. The case shown by the author of the resource is a true point: If there are only images, you can tell google what are they about and help you to rank on a specific word.
Considering point 2, you can consider that even not ebing on the top of the search, the description will have much more change to attract your target if he used any keyword related to the title of the thread.

A question: Why it doesn't edit the og:description of that thread too ??It would be really nice !

Some suggestions for releases:
  • Add the option to edit the meta descriptions for thread nodes, pages and resources
  • Add a filed to fill the meta during the thread creation for allowed groups.

Last edited:
Why it doesn't edit the og:description of that thread too ??It would be really nice !
Of course ^^

you need to remember that by manipulating a meta description
Nope. If you assign an meta for thread so its will replace default meta description by your content. Only a meta tag :)

Idk why the end of my post just vanished. I updated it again with a second suggestion for future releases.

The idea of this addon is awesome and should be out of box :P

Idk why the end of my post just vanished. I updated it again with a second suggestion for future releases.

The idea of this addon is awesome and should be out of box :p

I like the idea of using it for pages, nodes, resources etc. though this is somewhat done considering you control the description of these items. This was mainly created as an admin tool, which is why there isn't the option at thread creation.

I think most members and even some mods aren't well versed enough in SEO/Keyword Optimization to write their own meta description, as evidenced by many thread titles and first posts. In the past, I already started sorting posts by views, and finding old threads with very little views. Usually these had terrible names such as "Watch this", so I began optimizing the titles, but with out proper meta descriptions they still didn't rank great. That's where this comes in.

I appreciate the feedback/rating and will take it all into consideration for the future.

I like the idea of using it for pages, nodes, resources etc. though this is somewhat done considering you control the description of these items. This was mainly created as an admin tool, which is why there isn't the option at thread creation..

You are right !

About the suggestion for thread creation, I'm just considering that we have many boards that some main sections only moderators or admins have the power to contruct threads and it would avoid a lot of word editing them after creation.

OFC I'm considering my experience too as a new board that I create 99% the threads myself :P

Top Bottom