(Early) Adopter Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupara

What exactly is an adopter sale? I saw it in the Announcements forum under the XenForo thread. Kinda interested in hearing what this is.

Thanks

Sell them on a webmaster forum under an unknown alias. :p

Which would then have people buying the 2nd hand vB licences instead of new XenForo licences... Though they could put them all up at really high prices to artificially increase the 2nd hand vB licence market making a new Xenforo licence look better value for money... and I guess though selling 2nd hand vB licences may cause a slight loss in xF licence sales it would be a big loss in vB licence sales :P

Which would then have people buying the 2nd hand vB licences instead of new XenForo licences... Though they could put them all up at really high prices to artificially increase the 2nd hand vB licence market making a new Xenforo licence look better value for money... and I guess though selling 2nd hand vB licences may cause a slight loss in xF licence sales it would be a big loss in vB licence sales :p
I wasn't being serious. :p Keep in mind, there are indeed still vB-fanboys out there who are going to buy it because they love it. And then there are the people who'd rather invest in something that isn't brand new. And then there's probably a small crowd of XF-haters (for whatever crazy reason). So there's still a vB market out there. :p

I wasn't being serious. :p Keep in mind, there are indeed still vB-fanboys out there who are going to buy it because they love it. And then there are the people who'd rather invest in something that isn't brand new. And then there's probably a small crowd of XF-haters (for whatever crazy reason). So there's still a vB market out there. :p

I know you werent but I can still carry it on though right :D... Either way I still don't see it happening but M E H

I fell into the trap as I didn't want to pay the high price later on....
Still haven't upgraded....
Exactly. Nobody factored in the possibility that vB 4 wouldn't be that good. :D Plus IP.Board was starting to shape up nicely. And now we have XenForo. So I have absolutely no regrets of my decision to completely avoid the whole fiasco.

Exactly. Nobody factored in the possibility that vB 4 wouldn't be that good. :D Plus IP.Board was starting to shape up nicely. And now we have XenForo. So I have absolutely no regrets of my decision to completely avoid the whole fiasco.
oh, no, I didn't think it would be great - but I did believe that they would have sorted it out by now....

and what would they do with all those old licences?

Hold on to them, then when vB second hand licences start to recover in value they could flood the market, send the price crashing again and reduce IB's sales of new licences. Or they could just buy them in the hope of reducing vB's customer base, whatever they do with them there has to be some value to xF in buying up cheap vB licences.

Lets face it the vast majority of their customers are going to be switching from vB and they are going to be offering an early adopters sale, so it seems to make sense to use that sale as a way to mop up as many vB licences as they can.

Hold on to them, then when vB second hand licences start to recover in value they could flood the market, send the price crashing again and reduce IB's sales of new licences. Or they could just buy them in the hope of reducing vB's customer base, whatever they do with them there has to be some value to xF in buying up cheap vB licences.

Lets face it the vast majority of their customers are going to be switching from vB and they are going to be offering an early adopters sale, so it seems to make sense to use that sale as a way to mop up as many vB licences as they can.

I don't want that. Competition is healthy and keeps pushing the software and market forward.

Giving an extra credit for people who turn in any forum licenses would be a way to entice people who are reluctant to switch because they already shelled-out big bucks for another forum solution. XenForo would be able to capture extra customers. The forum could be anything paid, not just VB or IPB.

I have an old vbulletin license 3.8 series (with blogs) I don't know what to do with. But since it's paid already, many people like me might be hesitant to switch. If the price of Xenforo is reasonable I would probably switch anyway. This forum software looks great and is very user friendly.

A program to give the licenses to a designated charity?

A charity isn't going to use more than one licence, any others would just be sold on, if the charity knew what to do with them and were willing to put the effort in. However this doesn't take them out of circulation or give xF the control over when they are dumped back onto the market, and only those two options make any real business sense.

If it were my business I would offer a small discount for trading in your vB licence and then just keep them off the market, this would entice customers to switch to xF, make switching back to vB at a later date more expensive and reduce the number of vB powered sites on t'internet. Obviously it's not my business and we'll just have to see what happens, I can also see that it might sit a little uncomfortably with some people and potentially be seen as an overly aggresive move against vB, this could damage the reputation of the xF brand.

The pre-sale was a huge disaster. Some of us were able to see that before we fell into the trap. Others weren't.

The same thing can be said now: Some people still love vBulletin, and a lot of new users tend to gravitate towards it. They don't always believe all of the warnings, and prefer to find out for themselves what a disaster they get themselves into.
I have to agree 100% with Nick. Most people like to find out for themselves what is being talked about. Just a way for them to find out if what is said is true.

You're all looking at it wrong! They are planning an early adopters sale anyway.
So all they need to do is:
Give everyone another $10-20 off the price as a trade-in for their old vBulletin license. Something like the German government did with cars to help the car industry. You take your car to a scrap yard and have it scrapped there, then the government gave you a certain amount of money if you buy a new car.
What would Kier and Mike do with all those unused vBulletin licenses? Print them out and use them for toilet paper or just stomp on them, while laughing manically. Something satisfying.

Of course I am joking - but man, it would surely be a fun thing to do I imagine. :D

Giving an extra credit for people who turn in any forum licenses would be a way to entice people who are reluctant to switch because they already shelled-out big bucks for another forum solution. XenForo would be able to capture extra customers. The forum could be anything paid, not just VB or IPB.

Just think of the overhead involved with this. First you have to verify that the license is transferable. Then you have to complete the transaction. Once this is done, there is not real way of preventing the transferred license to be sold again, used again, etc. IMHO, the effort and hassle involved would not be worth it. The time, money and effort would be better spent working/supporting XF.

If you have a license, you sell it and apply the money earned from that sale to offset the cost of XF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom