Implemented  Drop the "star" image for threads with new posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma

I feel the difference between bold thread titles and non-bold thread titles is enough to distinguish between threads that have new/unread posts in them. I would stop using the "star" image (
list-item-new.png
) for this purpose, and consider using it for a new purpose-- to designate "hot" threads (threads with lots of recent activity), like vB3 did with the normally blue thread icon to an orangish color. (
hot-thread-png.239
)

Attachments

• hot-thread.webp
    hot-thread.webp
    1.2 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Honestly, I don't really care on this issue. I can see how some people would want it for visibility, and it's not really bothering me anymore as I'm getting used to it.

Regardless, I swear this issue has been discussed in like 5+ different threads. :rolleyes:

There needs to be two types of indicators, one of which is bold titles for unread threads. Another would be something graphical, but it really cannot be the star; not for indicating unread status. So many people use GMail, which uses a yellow star for other purposes, that they could think it means the same thing here. I can almost smell the smoke from that fire already.

There needs to be two types of indicators, one of which is bold titles for unread threads. Another would be something graphical, but it really cannot be the star; not for indicating unread status. So many people use GMail, which uses a yellow star for other purposes, that they could think it means the same thing here. I can almost smell the smoke from that fire already.
Yep, my first reaction was that I could click on that star to subscribe to a thread. Alas.

I think a small icon with the word "new" will be better.

Agreed a small new icon OR a post-it note OR a envolope are all much better than a star... I would also like them either right at the begining of the title or to the right by the sticky pin or as suggested on the avatars... But not where they are...

So different image different place PLEASE

Don't avoid something just because the competition uses it. Choose what is "best" regardless of what anyone else is doing. ;)

Exactly. I can understand the need for "eye candy", but come on. A star? This is one of the many "little" things that turns me off about the software. Dump the "kiddie candy" and design it as if it were going to be a corporate package for professionals. Then provide options for the administrator to add eye candy IF the membership is the type that would warrant that change.

I seen sites that used bold text for thread titles (it looked good for their style), so another method should be used. I like CBI's suggestion: a simple "new" contained in it's own small box. No graphics required, and very easy to change to match ones style.

When you have a full page of topics that were posted in, with the bold only, it looks like the bolded text is just part of the style. There is nothing that stands out that will catch your eye. The grey chat bubble just blends in too much.

Agreed. Much better. However.....................

Kier and Mike? You need to get an old fart or two to start looking at your style designs. While it may be slick and **cough** refreshing for the younger crowd, there are many aspects that I find difficult to see. The new icon falls under that category.

Agreed. Much better. However.....................

Kier and Mike? You need to get an old fart or two to start looking at your style designs. While it may be slick and **cough** refreshing for the younger crowd, there are many aspects that I find difficult to see. The new icon falls under that category.

Not a problem for us younger folk, but I understand. I wonder how the orange color used on this site would fit in there instead of grey.

I was going to say that myself...

It shouldn't be white, and it shouldn't be yellow like the star was.

Maybe using the orange used for the gradients, as it would be consistent with the design, as well as stand out.

Personally, I think the whole style needs to be rethought. I do prefer a brighter background, but the muted colors used throughout makes things very difficult to read at times. There needs to be a sharper contrast throughout the entire design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom