As designed Drag and drop images (or attachments) does not work

frm

Affected version
2.2 Beta 3 (replicated here)
Drag and drop to insert an image into a post (not upload) like it does as a registered user does not work on posting before registering as it does for registered members, even with these permissions set for "Unregistered / Unconfirmed":

1598059592806.webp

You might need to give us a more specific reproduction case in terms of what you're dragging and dropping from as that is potentially relevant (let us know what happens and what you expect to happen), but the major point is that we don't support attachments for guests (and never have), so if you're dragging a file for example, then doing nothing is essentially the expected behavior (which should be the same if a registered user does not have attachment permissions).

I can't take a screenshot of this as it doesn't seem to work and unsure how people post videos to replicate. But, if I make my Chrome browser smaller to where I can see my Windows 10 desktop, I can drag and drop an icon (a picture, of course) into this text editor and it insert just fine (as full size, but not to annoy people, I made it the thumbnail before posting).

51zLZbEVSTL._AC_SX679_.jpg

1598272122194.png

But if I want to insert that same smile as a post before registering, it just drags into this box and does nothing (no uploading, no nothing, but it shows the "Move >" help).

1598272307647.png

but the major point is that we don't support attachments for guests (and never have), so if you're dragging a file for example, then doing nothing is essentially the expected behavior (which should be the same if a registered user does not have attachment permissions).
If this is true and 'post before registering' doesn't accept an attachment/insert like guests, there should be a popup at the minimum that says "Files aren't allowed to be attached" or some other sort of warning and the "Move >" be removed along with the appearance that a file can't* be moved into the box or people will aimlessly try to move files in, expecting it to take and think it's their computer.

Maybe it's not a bug and designed as is, but showing "Move >" makes it, to me, appear as a bug as it implies that a file can be moved into the editor when that's not the case.

Last edited:
Got it. Couldn't take a screenshot of the "Move >" with the snipping tool, but Print Screen worked.

1598272664131.png

That implies, to me at least, I can move a picture in there. However, it never uploads and I may try over and over to move a picture in there.

Last edited:
I'll need to investigate specifically what causes the "move" text there vs "copy" but the tooltip/display there is generally an OS-level thing. If you drag things about you'll see Windows display that same tooltip elsewhere.

However, the rest of the behavior is pretty much as expected since attachments aren't allowed (you can see that there's no "attach files" button in your screenshot).

I'll need to investigate specifically what causes the "move" text there vs "copy" but the tooltip/display there is generally an OS-level thing. If you drag things about you'll see Windows display that same tooltip elsewhere.

However, the rest of the behavior is pretty much as expected since attachments aren't allowed (you can see that there's no "attach files" button in your screenshot).
Thank you.

If there's not a duplicate, I will create a suggestion to allow images prior to post before registering as I find this valuable because images can convey what people want to talk about prior to registering (and, I believe, the images/posts are deleted after a while so it wouldn't take up too much space until then).

If there's not a duplicate, I will create a suggestion to allow images prior to post before registering as I find this valuable because images can convey what people want to talk about prior to registering (and, I believe, the images/posts are deleted after a while so it wouldn't take up too much space until then).
Just a word of caution: even if they eventually support that feature, keep in mind that allowing arbitrary image uploads without any sort of attribution can be a huge liability, and it's likely to be abused. I'd personally be in favor of keeping hardcoded checks within XenForo to prevent guest uploads; if someone truly understands the implications of allowing guest uploads, they'll be able to remove those checks on their own.

Just a word of caution: even if they eventually support that feature, keep in mind that allowing arbitrary image uploads without any sort of attribution can be a huge liability, and it's likely to be abused. I'd personally be in favor of keeping hardcoded checks within XenForo to prevent guest uploads; if someone truly understands the implications of allowing guest uploads, they'll be able to remove those checks on their own.
Thanks for your constructive thought behind this, P, as it made me rethink my position on it. I originally based it on the premise that permissions had a maximum limit of attachments per post. However, it appears that you can only turn attachments on or off. There ought to be an add on out there already that limits this; and if not, it doesn't seem like such a hard process to implement.
1598539283816.png

On the other hand, there is a maximum attachment file size.
1598539333008.png

If you are able to lower the number of attachments for guests—through an existing add on, custom development, or future implementation of a permission—this would take care of the abuse issue. Furthermore, if you combine the permission with a file compression after upload, it would be even less of a problem as the file (specifically speaking an image here) would be compressed and resized on the server-side to not keep a huge footprint; but as a bonus, you would gain a possible contributing member.

Nonetheless, we are talking about post before registering here. If a guest wants to attach an image, the "Move" should be removed as it implies that an image can be uploaded or the functionality should be added and permissions set to not allow uploads to guests if that is your stance.

You may drive someone crazy if they think they can upload when in fact they can't because of that "Move" being there.

Therefore, it has to come down to removing the tooltip or appearance that a file can be uploaded (move into the box) or to allow guests to post attachments.

You may drive someone crazy if they think they can upload when in fact they can't because of that "Move" being there.
I definitely agree with that one; while on Windows, I use that tooltip as feedback to determine whether a site lets me upload files by dragging and dropping.

If you are able to lower the number of attachments for guests—through an existing add on, custom development, or future implementation of a permission—this would take care of the abuse issue.
It's a little more complicated than that. It's definitely possible--there are plenty of sites that allow guest uploads--but I'd guess that's probably venturing into add-on territory. I'd be curious to see XF's approach to it if they implement it, though.

It's a little more complicated than that. It's definitely possible--there are plenty of sites that allow guest uploads--but I'd guess that's probably venturing into add-on territory. I'd be curious to see XF's approach to it if they implement it, though.
It looks like @Xon already tackled this one.

In terms of the original report, I'm going to tag this with "as designed" on the basis that guests can't upload content regardless of permissions. (Note that those permissions would apply to users with a non-valid user state too so they do technically apply in limited cases.)

In terms of the "drop effect" as its known, I've managed to change that so that we use the "none" effect if file uploads aren't available. The result is OS/browser driven but on Windows, this will now give the red slash circle instead of the word "move". So in that regard, the bad feedback is fixed.

Top Bottom