Drag and drop files to upload

Well considering this suggestion was started in 2015, and has not need implemented yet is a pretty good sign.

I don't think that necessarily means anything. XF 2.0 has been in development for literally 3 years and has only just become available a few months ago - and with little more than functional parity with XF 1.0 ... the fact that a suggestion hasn't been implemented yet is more a matter of circumstance than proof that it won't be or shouldn't be implemented.

NOW is exactly the time to be revisiting all of the old suggestions (and liking the first post if you think they are good suggestion) so that the developers can consider new functionality for XF 2.1

FWIW, drag and drop uploads are a very commonly seen pattern in modern web applications - I think it would add a lot to the usability of the media gallery to support it.

the fact that a suggestion hasn't been implemented yet is more a matter of circumstance than proof that it won't be or shouldn't be implemented.

Never said it was proof of would not be implemented or should not be. What you quoted was in response to this:

This will tell me whether of not I need to spend time, energy and money on developing it now.

I find it confusing that there is drag & drop in Forum, but not in Media. IMHO it would make a lot of sense to stick to the same standards. Especially since this feature has even more value in Media than in forum.

The developers really don't comment on suggestion threads.
Why would the Devs not read the Suggestion Threads? What is the point of Xenforo having Official Suggestion Threads if the Devs are not going to read them? If the Devs don't read these, Xenforo should just remove the Category, because I think most anyone would think that the Devs would read Suggestions placed in the Official Suggestion Category.

Why would the Devs not read the Suggestion Threads? What is the point of Xenforo having Official Suggestion Threads if the Devs are not going to read them? If the Devs don't read these, Xenforo should just remove the Category, because I think most anyone would think that the Devs would read Suggestions placed in the Official Suggestion Category.
He didn't say the devs don't read the suggestion threads. They do. He said they don't usually comment on (ie make posts in) those threads.

They read every thread, they generally don't comment in the thread.

Although they don't comment on it, I'm alright with that. But I agree, I liked it. This would make it so much easier to upload an image.

It's like a step backwards in time, at least a decade or more.

Can't wrap my head around why they'd have it for attachments, but not for gallery uploads.

It literally drove hundreds, if not thousands of people away from our website onto Instagram and Tapatalk on other forums as a result.

We've lost about 75% of our traffic since moving from VBulletin to Xenforo 6 months ago.

That is horrible! Ours is still brand new, almost zero activity so it really isn't a loss for us, but it would encourage more uploads.

We've lost about 75% of our traffic since moving from VBulletin to Xenforo 6 months ago.

That sounds like more fundamental issues with the way your migration was done and not specific to the lack of drag-and-drop uploads to the media gallery. It certainly doesn't match the experience I've had after doing several migrations from vBulletin to XenForo.

We saw an instant and permanent increase in visitor numbers and visits after migrating from vBulletin to XenForo on Somersoft:

1530563737416.webp

... and this site had been "archived" nearly 12 months earlier - put in to read-only mode with no new posts being made and all user accounts disabled. So the traffic to the site is nearly 92% organic search now!

1530564180067.webp

If our SEO on XenForo was bad, we would have seen the complete opposite - a drop in traffic. We don't have active users to drive traffic to the site, so we rely purely on the SEO of the site.

I really am quite surprised that nearly 3 years after archiving the site, it's still getting so much traffic still. That being said - it remains an amazing resource and is full of valuable information.

You are correct, our drop in traffic has not been solely due to the loss of drag and drop, it has been a collection of things for sure. The issue with the drag and drop is that our entire community was used to it on our mobile app, Tapatalk and even the Photopost gallery had been modified to include drag and drop. When we moved to Xenforo, we got rid of Tapatalk, the branded Tapatalk app and Photopost altogether, all replaced with the Xenforo Gallery. Many of the long timers and our biggest contributors acted acted like it was the end of the world. Uploading photos is 90% of what happens in our community, 60% of them on mobile and most of them hating using a browser from their phone. They've been complaining since day one, even many of the ones who stayed complain about it. They post their opinions openly in public in our forums, it's easy to see. We finally ended up turning on attachments, just so they could have it. However the photos don't save in a gallery, so now we're getting complaints about that. It's exhausting and sometimes seems never ending, trying to please everyone.

You are correct, our drop in traffic has not been solely due to the loss of drag and drop, it has been a collection of things for sure. The issue with the drag and drop is that our entire community was used to it on our mobile app, Tapatalk and even the Photopost gallery had been modified to include drag and drop. When we moved to Xenforo, we got rid of Tapatalk, the branded Tapatalk app and Photopost altogether, all replaced with the Xenforo Gallery. Many of the long timers and our biggest contributors acted acted like it was the end of the world. Uploading photos is 90% of what happens in our community, 60% of them on mobile and most of them hating using a browser from their phone. They've been complaining since day one, even many of the ones who stayed complain about it. They post their opinions openly in public in our forums, it's easy to see. We finally ended up turning on attachments, just so they could have it. However the photos don't save in a gallery, so now we're getting complaints about that. It's exhausting and sometimes seems never ending, trying to please everyone.

FWIW, we had similar (but not quite as drastic) problems with ZooChat after the upgrade to XenForo. We had more like 60% of our traffic based around photo uploads (people visit a zoo, take a heap of photos, upload them to ZooChat, people discuss the photos).

I had heavily modified PhotoPost to integrate into our forums (photo comments were real threads) - but we didn't have an app, nor did we allow drag and drop uploads. Still, the move to XFMG was a huge step backwards for us in terms of functionality. Our members have complained a lot and we have lost traffic - but the improvements in other parts of the site with XF have kept people happy for the most part. I've also spent a lot of time working with the developers here on xenforo.com in identifying issues with the current software and suggesting improvements for v2.1 - especially around gallery functionality.

I'm still working on our migration from XF1.5 to XF2.0 for ZooChat - there is a heap of custom code behind it and a lot of functionality I need to add - and I'll be working hard to try and get back as much of the functionality as possible we lost in the vB to XF migration. Having worked with XF2.0 for over a year now (even though I don't have any production sites running it yet!), I'm very confident that we'll surpass the expectations of our users when we do get upgraded - it's a great platform and a pleasure to work with when building custom functionality.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what XF v2.1 and XFMG v2.1 will bring - this will be the first major new functionality we've had in quite a few years.

You have a point there Ozzy, there are a lot of factors involved for sure. I'm not blaming anyone for anything, just stating our situation in hopes that we might get some help resolving our remaining issues from our migration a little faster.

Sim, our members come in droves searching for help on how to grow cannabis, how to rescue sick plants in an emergency, where to access it, documenting grow journals, etc. All of which is mostly photo based. They come seeking help in a panic, rushing through everything to get what they need fast. The current upload/embed process is just too cumbersome for most of them, so they go elsewhere where they can use apps or download with quick and easy drag and drop. I myself turned on attachments after fighting it for years, just so I could upload faster. So I can relate to the issue first hand. We might end up paying a developer to add it to this gallery if possible, just like we did with Photopost. Was just hoping our cries for help with reasoning backing it up, might persuade them to do it for us.

Yeah there's no denying there are other things that shine because of the migration, just need to work through all of the kinks we still have so we can breathe and enjoy them.

Me too. :)

They come seeking help in a panic, rushing through everything to get what they need fast. The current upload/embed process is just too cumbersome for most of them, so they go elsewhere where they can use apps or download with quick and easy drag and drop.

Ahh - quite a different use-case to us. We have a relatively small user base, but they post a LOT of content and have been members for a long time. This has helped us weather any technical challenges and limitations - our users are generally very loyal.

Was just hoping our cries for help with reasoning backing it up, might persuade them to do it for us.

You need to understand the history of XF development to have an appreciation for how and when things are likely to happen.

In short: it took the XF developers around 3 years to completely rebuild the software from scratch using the modern development techniques we now have in XF2.0 - and the goal for that version was mostly just feature parity with XF1.5. In my opinion, it has been well worth the wait!

XF2.1 will be the first new version in quite some time which focuses on new features rather than simply reproducing existing features on the new platform. So we should start to see a lot of progress made moving forwards now.

Ahh - quite a different use-case to us. We have a relatively small user base, but they post a LOT of content and have been members for a long time. This has helped us weather any technical challenges and limitations - our users are generally very loyal.

You need to understand the history of XF development to have an appreciation for how and when things are likely to happen.

In short: it took the XF developers around 3 years to completely rebuild the software from scratch using the modern development techniques we now have in XF2.0 - and the goal for that version was mostly just feature parity with XF1.5. In my opinion, it has been well worth the wait!

XF2.1 will be the first new version in quite some time which focuses on new features rather than simply reproducing existing features on the new platform. So we should start to see a lot of progress made moving forwards now.

Yeah many of our members are loyal, until you take away things they are used to. We've got a lot of older, sick members searching for help on the medicinal side, then there are those who smoke a little too much and are heavily medicated, looking for the easy way to do everything, maybe a bit confused. Also lots of people taking strong prescription medicine, who want to replace it with Cannabis. Then you have the ones who are not so bright, and then the ones with ADD who rush through everything. So many different kinds of people coming for a plethora of different reasons, almost all of them medicating in some way. It's much different than most other forums, where things are a little more simplified and maybe not as critical, complicated and urgent for everyone.

It would be a dream come true if they add drag and drop, push notifications and last uploaded photo thumbnail above all posts, just like viewing from an app. I think it would bring us up to date and eliminate the use for an app. Guess we'll see when it's released, something to look forward to.

Another +1 for this suggestion. Drag and drop support for uploading image files (and possibly video files?) to XFMG would enhance the uploading experience, no end. It would be awesome if the "Upload files" box could handle dropped files, particularly if there were some smarts that would dynamically change the phrase when a file is dragged over the viewport (or if not, toggle the appearance with CSS, just as Froala does with its .fr-drop class in the insert image popup.)

Example (Photoshop edited screenshot):

Top Bottom