Don't hide pagination at the top of threads on mobile

RobinHood

With XF2, when on mobile, if you open a thread that doesn't have unread posts then there is no jump to new button and the the pagination buttons are hidden.

This can be frustrating if you want to head straight to the last page or any other page.

Without the page buttons you don't have context when the page loads as to how long the thread really is, then you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page just to find a link to bring you to the end of the thread.

Upvote 96
This can be fixed with CSS. The pagination is there but hidden. You can just unhide it. @Russ helped me do that on our style but I assume it’s similar on the default.

Why is it hidden? Making people hack their forums just to have obvious features like this doesn't make sense.

Please put the numbers back at the top. Don't hide them. And don't hide the "Dislike" inside sprites, and only display the "Like".

Who is making these decisions @Kier

Sorry to post in this thread again, but this has been a massive issue yet again recently after joining and using a new forum for the last few weeks.

Frequently in the evenings I've been reading very long threads, and searching product codes a lot on this new site on my phone and the lack of navigation at the top of the page results in an awfully frustrating user experience.

Many of the very long threads discuss products, and the first few posts of each threads are review content, so it's not unusual to need to jump back to the first post to reference information, check some tech specs, find a video etc. This is a pain if you're anywhere but the first page, as you then have to scroll all the way to the bottom to navigate back to page one.

It's a massive issue when arriving on a post from search results too, whether it's internal search or google search. You land at any post past page one, especially if it's near the top of the page and to find context or go to the 1st post to read the review or OP you have to swipe swipe swipe to get to the bottom of the page to find the navigation and go back.

It's so frustrating.

Adding this to extra.less is likely a better solution than editing the core files :)

Less:
// Display the page navigation on the top of pages of mobiles
@media (max-width: @xf-responsiveNarrow){
    .block-outer:not(.block-outer--after) .pageNavWrapper:not(.pageNavWrapper--forceShow){
        display: block;
    }
}

It should be easy (for devs) to make a simple switch to turn on/off this as a ACP option. But yes, if tha admin is willing, the CSS is also an easy solution.

Top Bottom