Don't hide pagination at the top of threads on mobile

RobinHood

With XF2, when on mobile, if you open a thread that doesn't have unread posts then there is no jump to new button and the the pagination buttons are hidden.

This can be frustrating if you want to head straight to the last page or any other page.

Without the page buttons you don't have context when the page loads as to how long the thread really is, then you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page just to find a link to bring you to the end of the thread.

Upvote 96
I like the idea of it as a setting. Some forums seem to need it more than others IME. I am a member on an XF2 forum where it would be a nice to have due to some threads being very long, but it's less of an issue on the forum I actually run because threads tend to be shorter.

Adding this to extra.less is likely a better solution than editing the core files :)

Less:
// Display the page navigation on the top of pages of mobiles
@media (max-width: @xf-responsiveNarrow){
    .block-outer:not(.block-outer--after) .pageNavWrapper:not(.pageNavWrapper--forceShow){
        display: block;
    }
}

@RobParker I'm also using PixelExit styles. Can you post the solution from @Russ? I assume it's in extra.less...

On my phone so I'm limited, but it got removed in an update of ours by accident (we had shown it in previous versions). Check out our bug reports, there's a thread for the CSS fix.

This really needs to be in the core, not sure why it's hidden on mobile.

On my phone so I'm limited, but it got removed in an update of ours by accident (we had shown it in previous versions). Check out our bug reports, there's a thread for the CSS fix.

This really needs to be in the core, not sure why it's hidden on mobile.
I think that was something different. This was the posted fix on PixelExit

Code:
/* fix page nav missing from mobile */
@media (max-width: @xf-responsiveNarrow) {
.block-outer:not(.block-outer--after) .pageNavWrapper:not(.pageNavWrapper--forceShow) { display: none; }
}

but that doesn't seem to fix the pagination issue on mobile for multi-page threads.

I think that was something different. This was the posted fix on PixelExit

Code:
/* fix page nav missing from mobile */
@media (max-width: @xf-responsiveNarrow) {
.block-outer:not(.block-outer--after) .pageNavWrapper:not(.pageNavWrapper--forceShow) { display: none; }
}

but that doesn't seem to fix the pagination issue on mobile for multi-page threads.

Change none to block (I updated my post the first day as I made a mistake :D ).

Adding this to extra.less is likely a better solution than editing the core files :)

Less:
// Display the page navigation on the top of pages of mobiles
@media (max-width: @xf-responsiveNarrow){
    .block-outer:not(.block-outer--after) .pageNavWrapper:not(.pageNavWrapper--forceShow){
        display: block;
    }
}
Thanks!

It makes me irrationally angry that this is still missing purposefully hidden on mobile on XF2, where it wasn’t on XF1.

So many situations when on my phone on a site and I want to be able to see what page I’m on at the top of a thread, or be able to skip back or forward if I’ve landed mid thread.

I can see the argument on both sides. I have unhidden it on my forum. It’s very much a usebility issue so i think it should be a user preference to enable it if they want.

I noticed another issue the other day. With the new article format, the article is pinned to the top of every page and pagination is stripped. This tricks you into thinking you are always on page 1, when on mobile, and the that reply is a direct reply to it. The article pinning and the replies below without a pagination in between give no context as to where you are in the thread. I found myself having to look at the actual post # of the reply under the pinned post to see if I was not on page 1, which is not ideal or intuitive. Pagination would address.

Last edited:
Top Bottom