Do expired licenses get security updates?

smoseley

Let me tell you, it's not been easy switching to XF. I decided to try it out for a small forum for my brother. He's asked me for some very simple add-ons, like profile customization, user photo albums, and daily digest emails to users (summarizing posts for the day).

Obviously, if I want add'l features, for the most part I have to develop them myself, because XF is a small community despite its hype. I've found some of the stuff I need, but I really don't want to be developing complex extensions for a 200 member community.

But this was the kicker... I got wind of a critical security fix for XF here: http://www.webdesignforums.net/threads/xf-vulnerability-found.37686/

Followed the link, only to find that I have to purchase an upgrade to get a critical bug patch.

That's the thanks I get for being an early adopter. I have to pay you guys to fix critical bugs in your code. Ridiculous.

XF lost my business today.

PS - I half-expect this thread to get deleted. Would definitely confirm my decision for me.

Let me tell you, it's not been easy switching to XF. I decided to try it out for a small forum for my brother. He's asked me for some very simple add-ons, like profile customization, and daily digest emails to users (summarizing posts for the day).

Obviously, if I want add'l features, for the most part I have to develop them myself, because XF is a small community despite its (over)hype.

But this was the kicker... I got wind of a critical security fix for XF here: http://www.webdesignforums.net/threads/xf-vulnerability-found.37686/

Followed the link, only to find that I have to purchase an upgrade to get a critical bug patch.

That's the thanks I get for being an early adopter. I have to pay you guys to fix critical bugs in your code. Ridiculous.

XF lost my business today.

PS - I half-expect this thread to get deleted. Would definitely confirm my decision for me.

Hope you know they provide security fixes for free bud:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-security-fix-for-1-0-0-1-1-2.32890/

But, have fun leaving.

Let me tell you, it's not been easy switching to XF. I decided to try it out for a small forum for my brother. He's asked me for some very simple add-ons, like profile customization, user photo albums, and daily digest emails to users (summarizing posts for the day).

Obviously, if I want add'l features, for the most part I have to develop them myself, because XF is a small community despite its hype. I've found some of the stuff I need, but I really don't want to be developing complex extensions for a 200 member community.

IPB seems to be a small community also. I've asked for quotes for web work and got no acknowledgement from the IPB company, at least got an acknowledgement and we'll get back to you from the XenForo developer.

On the IPB forum, another developer replied that they are mostly one man shows doing work on the side after their day job. Not what I'm looking for in a developer, looking for a company with a couple people in case lightning strikes. Good thing XenForo is a three man shop.

From my experience IPB community seems pretty huge. But it's just hard to get help with certain things because very few people know the in-and-out of the software. Getting help with their CMS back in those days was extremely hard since literally almost no one knew how to use it. Had to rely on their team to reply, which they do from time to time. But still not enough and it was frustrating.

OP - Every forum has it's feature. If the plug in you want doesn't exist, I suppose it makes sense to leave. Just want to say this is silly. It's always the admin's responsibility to do the shopping and find out about any software's feature before using it. Every software has their feature, and are clearly listed for you to see. You didn't do your homework. And now you're ignoring all the good things about Xenforo and complain for things it does not have. That's very silly.

Panupat, let me tell you... replying to a post without reading it is silly.

1. I obviously purchased XF over one year ago, since I cannot upgrade it. I also stated that I was an "early adopter". Obviously there were very few community extensions at that time. I gave my support to XF as an act of faith, as all early adopters do by definition.

2. I never stated that the lack of features was why I was dumping XF. I decided to dump XF based on my misinformation about the security patch. I merely pointed out the lack of features as a matter of frustration, and a side-effect of my giving XF my early support (for which I still feel somewhat neglected).

Panupat, let me tell you... replying to a post without reading it is silly.

1. I obviously purchased XF over one year ago, since I cannot upgrade it. I also stated that I was an "early adopter". Obviously there were very few community extensions at that time. I gave my support to XF as an act of faith, as all early adopters do by definition.

2. I never stated that the lack of features was why I was dumping XF. I decided to dump XF based on my misinformation about the security patch. I merely pointed out the lack of features as a matter of frustration, and a side-effect of my giving XF my early support (for which I still feel somewhat neglected).
Well, as an early adopter, like me you will recall getting 18 months (I think it was) of free support & updates, after that you need to renew your support sub every 12 months.

If you choose not to renew, that's your choice. Its a little rich to come here and moan because you're too tight to spend the $40 for another year's access to upgrades and support.

Even more so when they actually released a patch for this anyway and it wasn't even in their code.

Well, as an early adopter, like me you will recall getting 18 months (I think it was) of free support & updates, after that you need to renew your support sub every 12 months.

If you choose not to renew, that's your choice. Its a little rich to come here and moan because you're too tight to spend the $40 for another year's access to upgrades and support.

Even more so when they actually released a patch for this anyway and it wasn't even in their code.
Security patches are always released even to expired customers (At least if I remember correctly).

Security patches are always released even to expired customers (At least if I remember correctly).
I thought that was the case, but surely there will be a point where a 1.0 user can't apply a patch for a security fix for a problem found when 1.8 is the latest (for example) as too much else has changed - XF aren't going to test the patch on every version of XF from 1.0 to the latest version?

For the sake of $40 over 12 months (77c a week)....

This case was simples - it was a 3rd party file that needed updating. If the fix is more in-depth, its a different story I'd imagine.

I thought that was the case, but surely there will be a point where a 1.0 user can't apply a patch for a security fix for a problem found when 1.8 is the latest (for example) as too much else has changed - XF aren't going to test the patch on every version of XF from 1.0 to the latest version?
Usually at that point it's common to say certain versions and below will no longer receive update or support (End of Life).

Well, I'm not going to prolong this argument. I've learned a lot about XF customers today. You're all obviously highly-professional, calm, objective individuals, capable of presenting sound arguments as to the best practices of a commercial-grade software shop. I'm clearly an idiot for believing a company carries a responsibility to its loyal customers for critical bugs beyond users' license agreements. Cheers, guys.

Well, I'm not going to prolong this argument. I've learned a lot about XF customers today. You're all obviously highly-professional, calm, objective individuals, capable of presenting sound arguments as to the best practices of a commercial-grade software shop. I'm clearly an idiot for believing a company carries a responsibility to its loyal customers for critical bugs beyond users' license agreements. Cheers, guys.

You're not an idiot, far from it.

I understand that Xenforo is free to decide their license system, but the one thing i prefer from vBulletin are the free updates for a whole version number.
Having a yearly license seems for me nearly like playing the lottery. Will there be great new features added in the next 12 months? Will they improve some existing ones?

Personally something like that motivates just to wait with the renewal, which is something neither me or Xenforo profit from at the end.

I understand that Xenforo is free to decide their license system, but the one thing i prefer from vBulletin are the free updates for a whole version number.
Having a yearly license seems for me nearly like playing the lottery. Will there be great new features added in the next 12 months? Will they improve some existing ones?

Personally something like that motivates just to wait with the renewal, which is something neither me or Xenforo profit from at the end.
You don't have to renew your licence the day after it expires. Mine expired in March, but I will only renew it when athere is a major new update. I mean a really big one.

What add-on did you use for the daily digest emails? Thanks in advance for the help.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...some of you would argue with a brick wall. The OP came in here pissed off but as soon as they realized their mistake, they owned up to it. Why do you feel the need to continue to berate him? It's constant stuff like this that is making the XF community a dump. (y)

Top Bottom