Do expired licenses get security updates?

You don't have to renew your licence the day after it expires. Mine expired in March, but I will only renew it when athere is a major new update. I mean a really big one.

I know and that's probably the path i will go. But on the other hand i still want to be able to fix the bugs of my forum without having to pay the one responsible for them. (That might sound a bit harsh, but i can't come up with a better wording. Non-native speaker here.)

This is the way it is with almost every software company tho. Other than security fixes, you need to pay for software updates which I personally think is very reasonable.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...some of you would argue with a brick wall. The OP came in here pissed off but as soon as they realized their mistake, they owned up to it. Why do you feel the need to continue to berate him? It's constant stuff like this that is making the XF community a dump. (y)

It's things a prospective customer such as myself sees. the community as a whole does more harm than good since they are representing XF and the community with it.
IPB seems to be a small community also..

IPB? As an invision power board? Yeah nope. not a small community at all so i am not sure where you got that from.

IPB? As an invision power board? Yeah nope. not a small community at all so i am not sure where you got that from.

As far as professionals to do website and forum work they seem very small. A few hobbyists. An area for contractors to list their companies has 10 people, many just part timers. Hard to find a IPB company that lists its services, examples of work, who they are, basic pricing that would be normal for a professional company.

FYI, I put the following together... it's a crappy script that I run on a cron every midnight, but it gets the job done.

It grabs all the posts from the last 24 hours, neatly organizes them into an email, and sends them to all users who chose to receive admin emails.

It's using Gmail to send, which has limitations, so it's grouping them into clusters of 80 BCCs per mail. You could change it up to use another SMTP service... up to you!

I tried to clean it up and put it into a configurable class so you guys could reuse it. Someone here may want to turn this into a Zend-based plugin. I don't have the time. I just wanted to get it working.

Not tested in its current form... but it's a start. Good luck!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. Can you post some images of what the e-mails look like?

Here are some initial thoughts on some options if a kind soul is willing to port this to a plugin:

1. Have the ability to use your own server or VPS to send mail (as you mentioned)
2. Have the ability to choose weekly or daily mails
3. Have the ability to choose "all new threads" or "most popular new threads" (with all sticky threads automatically included)
4. There likely needs to be a maximum number of threads to highlight in an e-mail (for busy boards)
4. It would also be nice for selected mods or admins to receive a "test" e-mail in case any changes need to be made before it automatically goes out to the entire list

Top Bottom