Discouraged Users

I think it is an invaluable feature whether you like it or not, whether its ethical or not. If you just ban a user, he/she many times just registers again with different ID and do the same thing. So it could be useful in some situations.

Feature itself is not bad, its on Admin on how they use it, if you have a gun, that doesn't mean you have to shoot it every time and it also doesn't mean gun is a bad thing

What stops a "discouraged user" from signing up for a new account just like a banned user? Now that this is a built in feature I'm sure every serious "troll" will know about it.

What stops a "discouraged user" from signing up for a new account just like a banned user? Now that this is a built in feature I'm sure every serious "troll" will know about it.
The main reason they won't join again is because they won't actually know that they're a discouraged user. Like the name implies, the discouraged user system discourages the user from using the site. Whether it's general slowness, random page errors, or hyperlinks not working; you have every option to annoy your troublesome members and make them never want to come back to your site.

The main reason they won't join again is because they won't actually know that they're a discouraged user. Like the name implies, the discouraged user system discourages the user from using the site. Whether it's general slowness, random page errors, or hyperlinks not working; you have every option to annoy your troublesome members and make them never want to come back to your site.

in that case devs should enable admins to discourage users by applying the ip...
so even if the member re-register new account they are still experiencing the discourage issue

in that case devs should enable admins to discourage users by applying the ip...
so even if the member re-register new account they are still experiencing the discourage issue
And what if you have multiple accounts on the same IP because of family members? I wouldn't want to be "discouraged" from using the forum because my brother was acting up and got it activated for both of us... Presuming XF has the option to require staff confirmation of new registrations (I haven't been able to install my copy yet to see), you can just check the IP of the new account to see if it matches the old one, then delete it if so.

The main reason they won't join again is because they won't actually know that they're a discouraged user.

I don't think that's a realistic expectation. They will immediately know something is wrong and when other users don't report the same problems and they can log-out and the problem goes away they'll know for sure.

I agree for this to be more useful an "IP Address" should be used, not simply a username.

I don't think that's a realistic expectation. They will immediately know something is wrong and when other users don't report the same problems and they can log-out and the problem goes away they'll know for sure.
Speaking as fellow admins, we know that for sure. But I'm certainly not going to expect all of my members to notice that other members aren't reporting problems. I would think that this is a feature to be used more often on spammers and new members than more active users. :p

Speaking as fellow admins, we know that for sure. But I'm certainly not going to expect all of my members to notice that other members aren't reporting problems. I would think that this is a feature to be used more often on spammers and new members than more active users. :p

Using this on spammers would be stupid... they use automated software, it will keep retrying until it goes through which it will eventually if you don't block 100%. It won't annoy anyone.

Using this on spammers would be stupid... they use automated software, it will keep retrying until it goes through which it will eventually if you don't block 100%. It won't annoy anyone.
I wasn't talking about automated spammers. That would be a job for the spam removal tool. Sorry for not being clear enough. I'm referring to human spammers who come from other sites to advertise/flame.

The main reason they won't join again is because they won't actually know that they're a discouraged user.
Yes they will. It took me all of about 5 minutes to realise it was being used on me - now admittidly I have a slight advantage on recognising it ;) but forum users are not daft, as knowledge of it spreads, they will realise whats going on. :D

I used a Mod a lot like it - it's invaluable. Soooo much more effective than just banning someone.
How? I don't get it. I used the similar mod on vb 3.8. It was funny...but saw no real purpose to it. A good rule and policy system followed by a good warning/infraction system followed by trained staff who enforce the rules and policies are far superior to sweeping the dirt under the rug IMO. I don't see how the Disc. Vis. system is productive or better than using an infraction system.

If the individual is that bad that you don't want them around any longer, issue the necessary infraction pts to ban them outright. How is that not better?

Debating its merits or lack thereof isn't going to get it removed from future versions of the software.

It doesn't matter if some professional forum troll realizes what it is. The point is to discourage the average knucklehead, and there are a lot of them out there. I will use it gladly and liberally, because it's funny and devious. Like all of the best things in life.

Yes they will. It took me all of about 5 minutes to realise it was being used on me - now admittidly I have a slight advantage on recognising it ;) but forum users are not daft, as knowledge of it spreads, they will realise whats going on. :D
Well, obviously you can't compare your superpowers to regular members. ;) But yeah, people will find out. Also, discouraging has exactly the same benefits and / or weak points as banning. You can ban the user by username or IP as well, and if that doesn't work, why would discouraged user?

I think this was mainly added as a wink to the Tachy goes coventry feature, considering Kier was involved with that as well.

Top Bottom