discount for translation?

There is currently no sale, and no sales planned for the future. The only way to get discounts are to purchase licenses in bulk and price per license decreases.

can one get a reasonable discount for a translation of the language files in a language not available currently? obviously that is a one-time affair that is beneficial for both sides

If you are offering a language translation and trying to recoup costs of purchasing xf your best bet would be to make a post with that offer. I'm sure someone who needs the translation would donate and if it is a translation that the community can use I would throw you a some bucks for sharing it.

As far as xenforo offering discounts for stuff like that I don't see it happening, there is plenty of people here who contribute a lot and don't get a discount on xf other than for bulk licenses.

XenForo offers excellent value at the current rate, I'm sure you would agree. Many members have made contributions in the form of addons, translations, styles etc for the benefit of other members (and for themselves in some cases). This makes the community a hugely valuable pool of resource and support. I'm sure that a look in the Resources Manager will give an idea of what is available.

can one get a reasonable discount for a translation of the language files in a language not available currently? obviously that is a one-time affair that is beneficial for both sides

Or you can buy XenForo now, make a translation and then sell your translation in the resource manager, though xenforo doesn't handle the payment process (yet).

Or you can buy XenForo now, make a translation and then sell your translation in the resource manager, though xenforo doesn't handle the payment process (yet).
I can't see any sense buying a translation. There are about 500-700 importnat (public) phrases to translate. All the others are ACP phrases that translating them would cause great pain in the long run (upgrading/adding add-ons/XF itself). Translating 500-700 phrases (most of them are very short) takes about 2-3 hours at most.

I can't see any sense buying a translation. There are about 500-700 importnat (public) phrases to translate. All the others are ACP phrases that translating them would cause great pain in the long run (upgrading/adding add-ons/XF itself). Translating 500-700 phrases (most of them are very short) takes about 2-3 hours at most.

Sorry, but there are near 5000 phrases. thats a lot of work.

Translating 500-700 phrases (most of them are very short) takes about 2-3 hours at most.
I don't think you have any clue how to do a forum translation properly. If you are quick you can do 100 - 150 phrases in 2-3 hours, without quality check. Most time you are spending on research rather than the actual translating. And only translating 500-700 phrases won't cut it.

Sorry, but there are near 5000 phrases. thats a lot of work.
As I wrote before, 500-700 are public, everything else is ACP related.

I don't think you have any clue how to do a forum translation properly. If you are quick you can do 100 - 150 phrases in 2-3 hours, without quality check. Most time you are spending on research rather than the actual translating. And only translating 500-700 phrases won't cut it.
I guess every language is different. I haven't done any "research" while translating. I guess it also depends on language fluency. I've translated many systems before, so I'm experienced with translating from and to my language. Overall, most of the translation problems are in ACP, which I haven't touched (except the user area).

I would buy quality translation for some $, even though I could do it myself.
It is just bcs I prefer spending my time on other things.
When I buy XF I will heavily use addons free/paid.

ok, i understand - no deal.

i am absolutely sure this is not the right approach. here's why:

- an existing language files pack (core) opens new markets; more licenses sold - perhaps more developers and better system for all (1.2 on all live sites:)
- i was looking for the extra incentive to compensate for the extra effort involved in initial implementation on a non-translated language.
- there possibly would have been other licences purchased by me down the road
- there was a suggestion to sell translations, in order to recoup cost - this is just silly and shortsighted: if i put in the time to translate the language files, i would definitely share those with the world (isn't that what all are doing?) the community spirit rules. besides, sharing would ensure quality, and evolving versions with each new release. a simple cost-benefit analysis would prove that if the xenforo co. was to "eat" a small translation discount, that would be easily/quickly recouped through additional licenses sold in entirely new markets.

i will continue to keep an eye on the development of this forum; not a buyer for now

By your logic, you are placing the value of translations over the value of add-ons. I know for a fact that at least one person bought XenForo and came over because one of my add-ons. I NEVER would expect a discount or the community to think of me in a higher regard. Yes, my add-on may have helped bring people to XenForo, but how is that value to be determined?

The only true measure of loyalty or support that the developers can actually measure is amount of licenses purchased by an individual user. The business logic is the only sound and fair method of giving discounts.

As others have said there are plenty of people who support XF with services unpaid. The main ones are the designers of addons.
I know that at least 15 people have bought XF (over the years) directly because of the friendly support I gave them when they sent questions in Pre Sales. Mine happened to be the first, or the most detailed answer they got so the credit was mine on those few. Many many others are the credit of Brogan, Jake, Shelley and others who do the same friendly support, as moderators or 'friends of XF.'
I think my beginner tutorials have helped too, as others' tutorials have.

On translations speaking as a businesswoman it does not make sense for XF to pay you. If they do that they would be endorsing (officially approving )your translation. Some people would give bad translations so XF team would have to check it to see it's good. That would take a lot of time for them and they need their time for coding - plus they'd need a second person who knows your language as a checker.

What makes sense is for you to do your translation and offer it in Resources. You can charge money and you could get the price of your licence if 7 people bought it for $20 or 5 for $30.
That way the amount of money paid reflects the true interest in your language.

(It may be useful to link off the front page of XF listing the different language packs by the community.)

I may be taking the unpopular road here, but I actually leaning towards the side of the original poster.

Here I am, a forum software company. Someone comes to me and offers to develop and maintain a language translation. Sure, I'd throw them a free license or even a $50 discount. Why not?

• How many languages does XenForo support? Imagine if the answer was: "We have ~30 languages submitted to us and maintained by folks in those countries".
  • How many languages does *other forum software* have? "English. We just cut off our German guy who was doing a fantastic job. Instead, we've brought other languages all in-house, but won't actually be ready to til 2014."
How many free plugins are there on the same degree of difficulty as a full language translation? I think most plugins that reach that number of hours of time invested end up being Paid add-ons, no?

It's in Xenforo's best interests to pay for this.
A good business move would be to pay $100/year per language.
Ideally the translator would also translate addons. Maybe those could be paid per phrase translation.
Ideally Xenforo could provide a mechanism to "mass translate addons" in bulk, and it would be seamless to the addon makers.
The translation curator would also have to be around for "tweaking".

As well, once all the words in Xenforo are translated, couldn't Xenforo use those words in language specific pages for good SEO marketing per language ?
Xenforo could have a language specific page per language.
hello ? amazing SEO.

easy decision.

Here I am, a forum software company. Someone comes to me and offers to develop and maintain a language translation. Sure, I'd throw them a free license or even a $50 discount.

As a forum software company:
  1. I would not have any guarantee that the translation is good (unless I hire someone to check it) and I do not know if the translation will be mainained or its future quality will be acceptable.
  2. I would present an opportunity for such translation to be published free/paid on the forum. This way responsibility for mainaining and bugs and problems would be directed to the author not my company.
  3. I would encourage people to create addons and make thriving community of innovators and concentrate my effort on most important features of the forum.
  4. I would wait and observe sales and querries, and decide on my future plans. Making declarations too early can backfire easily.
  5. I would do probably many other things
Creator of such a quality translation could publish his work on the forum and become valued member of the community - which is a reward itself, or publish as a paid addon and make these 50-XXXX$ for selling and maintaining quality translation that other need.

Top Bottom