discount for translation?

The problem is, that once you start giving discounts to translation creators, you unintentionally endorse them. That 'other software' has 511 user submitted language packs. Yes, they may have canceled the contract with the professional german developer, but that still was officially endorsed for a long time -- proving that it was guaranteed to be of high quality.

XenForo can already say they have 30 translations submitted and maintained by users, but once they start to indirectly endorse them with discounts, customers will expect them to be of high quality. Its a dangerous path that XenForo would go down. It also gets into logistics with this: I can go to XenForo and say, "I want to maintain a French translation." Does this mean I get a discount on my license right away? What if I never follow through or my translation is so utterly horrible that nobody will use it. Do they now remove access until the discount is paid? Since there is already a French translation, would you say that I'm eligible for a discount? There's slope is slippery and not one I'd like to see XenForo go down.

And how long an add-on takes is really up to the skill and knowledge of the developer that is making it. I have personally spent countless hours researching XenForo's structure, code, and systems to fully understand them and create high quality add-ons. We really are attempting to compare and demean the importance of one task.

As a forum software company:

1. I would not have any guarantee that the translation is good (unless I hire someone to check it) and I do not know if the translation will be mainained or its future quality will be acceptable.
Star ratings and user feedback.
2. I would present an opportunity for such translation to be published free/paid on the forum. This way responsibility for mainaining and bugs and problems would be directed to the author not my company.
ie. I get to say "my forum is available in 30 languages, and I didn't even give my customers a pat on the back for doing all the work.
I would encourage people to create addons and make thriving community of innovators and concentrate my effort on most important features of the forum.
Thankfully, XenForo allows paid addons.
Creator of such a quality translation could publish his work on the forum and become valued member of the community - which is a reward itself, or publish as a paid addon and make these 50-XXXX$ for selling and maintaining quality translation that other need.
If it's a paid add-on, can XenForo list the languages they offer on their homepage? I don't think so.

The creator of a quality translation could publish his work on the forum and become valued member of the community - which is a reward itself, or publish as a paid addon and make these 50-XXXX$ for selling and maintaining quality translation that other need.
Paid addon is an option.
I like my idea of paying the translator and extracting the words to create a language specific marketing page ! :)

Look I'm not saying "zomg XenForo has to pay translators to get a good translation". Only, XenForo could make informal partnerships with individuals, give a little discount, and in the process, get to stamp "We support X languages" on the product features page. Maybe I overestimate the benefit vs. cost.

Look I'm not saying "zomg XenForo has to pay translators to get a good translation". Only, XenForo could make informal partnerships with individuals, give a little discount, and in the process, get to stamp "We support X languages" on the product features page. Maybe I overestimate the benefit vs. cost.

No professional business should enter into 'informal partnerships' like that. They can already say that XenForo has X languages submitted if they so choose. Once you say "Support" and actually start to create these partnerships, there is definitely a level of expectation of quality and developer support.

Question, do you think in that other forum software company, those German and Chinese translators weren't thoroughly vetted and a contract written up to guarantee a level of quality and support?

XF is ALREADY offering an excellent service to translators by providing them with webspace and publicity via the Resource Manager.
If the translation is good it'll get good ratings. It will also improve through thread discussion.
The translator can charge for it and balance their own licence fee, or make a profit.

XF should NOT take on any further responsibility because they cannot undertake quality control.
I don't see that a translation pack is any different to other basic addons like importers and others. Developers don't get free licences, or discounts. It is open to them to operate fees if they wish. They can also gain considerable community status.

@dimitre tonkov, if you are interested in any of my add-ons once you purchase XenForo, I would provide you with a free license to use my add-ons in return for a good translation of those add-ons. Releasing your translation of XenForo for free so that others could provide feedback on your translation would show me that your translations were worth having.

Foreign language versions aren't something you just whip out. The results have to be reviewed and tested. Quality multi-lingual versions of software packages are not trivials tasks.

If they are provided by a 3rd party and distributed through a secondary market (as our addons are handled) then XenForo does not have to be directly concerned with their quality. The foreign language versions will survive or die on their won.

Personally I want to see the XenForo team focused on 1.2, 1.2.1, 1.2.2, ..., 1.3, etc.

Top Bottom