XF 1.4 Disable quote on reply button

Chad

Can someone explain how to disable automatically quoting a post when someone clicks the reply button within that post? I think it causes confusion and unnecessary endless quoting. There's already a quote button right next to it by default so there's no reason for them to do essentially the same thing. Just adds clutter too. The highlight text/quote reply is nicer anyway.

Thanks.

In the conversation_message template, find this and comment it out:

Code:
                        <a href="{xen:link 'conversations/reply', $conversation, 'm={$message.message_id}'}"
                            class="item control reply ReplyQuote"><span></span>{xen:phrase reply}</a>

In the post template, find this and comment it out:

Code:
                    <a href="{xen:link threads/reply, $thread, 'quote={$post.post_id}'}"
                        data-postUrl="{xen:link posts/quote, $post}"
                        data-tip="#MQ-{$post.post_id}"
                        class="ReplyQuote item control reply"
                        title="{xen:phrase reply_quoting_this_message}"><span></span>{xen:phrase reply}</a>

Thanks @Maru

But this looks like it would remove the reply button, correct? I don't want to remove the button per post, only disable it from quoting the post. In other words, simply act as a reply button without quoting the post.

If you aren't quoting a post, then just use the reply text box at the bottom of the thread. Like I am doing now.

The only thing is that without a quote people can't know you are replying to a specific post. So it's not really a reply to anything, just an addition to the thread in general.

To show a reply to a specific post, but without quoting would need some other way to show it's the reply, e.g with a nested view of posts or some other indicator that you are referencing a certain post.

I would also like to do this.

The reason is i am always finding myself pressing on "Reply" just so i takes me to the very bottom and i can reply to the thread. In this case i always have to delete the quoted stuff. I find reply a bit misleading. Unless you read the hovering part. Which says it quotes that post.

I wish the reply would take you to the bottom without quoting.

Or maybe add my own link?

anyone figure it out?

thanks.

Last edited:
In the "Post" template

At the very bottom on the 7th line from the bottom: I had to add some spaces because i wouldn't automatically put a space

This should work
&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="{$requestPaths.requestUri}#QuickReply" title="Reply Thread"><span></span>Reply&nbsp;Thread</a>

</xen:if>
</xen:hook>
</div>
</div>
</xen:set>

</xen:include>

Mine looks different because i added a Top & worded it different

But here's mine:
Code:
<xen:include template="message">

<xen:map from="$post" to="$message" />

<xen:set var="$messageId">post-{$post.post_id}</xen:set>

<xen:set var="$likesUrl">{xen:link posts/likes, $post}</xen:set>

<xen:set var="$messageContentAfterTemplate"><xen:if is="{$post.attachments}"><xen:include template="attached_files" /></xen:if></xen:set>

<xen:set var="$messageAfterTemplate">

<div class="messageMeta ToggleTriggerAnchor">

<div class="privateControls">
                <xen:if is="{$post.canInlineMod}"><input type="checkbox" name="posts[]" value="{$post.post_id}" class="InlineModCheck item" data-target="#post-{$post.post_id}" title="{xen:phrase select_this_post_by_x, 'name={$post.username}'}" /></xen:if>
                <span class="item muted">
                    <span class="authorEnd"><xen:username user="$post" class="author" />,</span>
                    <a href="{xen:link threads/post-permalink, $thread, 'post={$post}'}" title="{xen:phrase permalink}" class="datePermalink"><xen:datetime time="$post.post_date" /></a>
                </span>
                <xen:hook name="post_private_controls" params="{xen:array 'post={$post}'}">
                <xen:if is="{$post.canEdit}">
                    <a href="{xen:link posts/edit, $post}" class="item control edit {xen:if $xenOptions.messageInlineEdit, OverlayTrigger}"
                        data-href="{xen:link posts/edit-inline, $post}" data-overlayOptions="{&quot;fixed&quot;:false}"
                        data-messageSelector="#post-{$post.post_id}"><span></span>{xen:phrase edit}</a>
                    <xen:require js="js/xenforo/discussion.js" />
                <xen:if is="{$post.edit_count} && {$post.canViewHistory}"><a href="{xen:link posts/history, $post}" class="item control history ToggleTrigger"><span></span>{xen:phrase history}</a></xen:if>
                <xen:if is="{$post.canDelete}"><a href="{xen:link posts/delete, $post}" class="item control delete OverlayTrigger"><span></span>{xen:phrase delete}</a></xen:if>
                <xen:if is="{$post.canCleanSpam}"><a href="{xen:link spam-cleaner, $post}" class="item control deleteSpam OverlayTrigger"><span></span>{xen:phrase spam}</a></xen:if>
                <xen:if is="{$canViewIps} AND {$post.ip_id}"><a href="{xen:link posts/ip, $post}" class="item control ip OverlayTrigger"><span></span>{xen:phrase ip}</a></xen:if>

<xen:if is="{$post.canWarn}">
                    <a href="{xen:link members/warn, $post, 'content_type=post', 'content_id={$post.post_id}'}" class="item control warn"><span></span>{xen:phrase warn}</a>
                <xen:elseif is="{$post.warning_id} && {$canViewWarnings}" />
                    <a href="{xen:link warnings, $post}" class="OverlayTrigger item control viewWarning"><span></span>{xen:phrase view_warning}</a>
                <xen:if is="{$post.canReport}">
                    <a href="{xen:link posts/report, $post}" class="OverlayTrigger item control report" data-cacheOverlay="false"><span></span>{xen:phrase report}</a>

</div>

<div class="publicControls">
                <a href="{xen:link threads/post-permalink, $thread, 'post={$post}'}" title="{xen:phrase permalink}" class="item muted postNumber hashPermalink OverlayTrigger" data-href="{xen:link posts/permalink, $post}">#{xen:calc '{$post.position} + 1'}</a>
                <xen:hook name="post_public_controls" params="{xen:array 'post={$post}'}">
                <xen:if is="{$post.canLike}">
                    <a href="{xen:link posts/like, $post}" class="LikeLink item control {xen:if $post.like_date, unlike, like}" data-container="#likes-post-{$post.post_id}"><span></span><span class="LikeLabel">{xen:if $post.like_date, {xen:phrase unlike}, {xen:phrase like}}</span></a>
                <xen:if is="{$canReply}">
                    <xen:if is="{$xenOptions.multiQuote}"><a href="{xen:link threads/reply, $thread, 'quote={$post.post_id}'}"
                        data-messageid="{$post.post_id}"
                        class="MultiQuoteControl JsOnly item control"
                        title="{xen:phrase toggle_multi_quote_tooltip}"><span></span><span class="symbol">{xen:phrase multiquote_add}</span></a></xen:if>
                    <a href="{xen:link threads/reply, $thread, 'quote={$post.post_id}'}"
                        data-postUrl="{xen:link posts/quote, $post}"
                        data-tip="#MQ-{$post.post_id}"
                        class="ReplyQuote item control reply"
                        title="{xen:phrase reply_quoting_this_message}"><span></span>{xen:phrase reply}</a>

&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="{$requestPaths.requestUri}#QuickReply" title="Reply Thread"><span></span>Reply&nbsp;Thread</a>          

<a href="{$requestPaths.requestUri}#navigation" style="margin-left: 10px;">{xen:phrase go_to_top}</a>              

</div>
        </div>
    </xen:set>

</xen:include>

I find it very useful. I can easily go to the bottom and reply without quoting and the top makes it even more convient

Heres the outcome

Capture.webp

Last edited:
Top Bottom