1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Disable quote on reply button

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by Chad, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Chad

Chad Active Member

Can someone explain how to disable automatically quoting a post when someone clicks the reply button within that post? I think it causes confusion and unnecessary endless quoting. There's already a quote button right next to it by default so there's no reason for them to do essentially the same thing. Just adds clutter too. The highlight text/quote reply is nicer anyway.

Thanks.

2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

In the conversation_message template, find this and comment it out:

Code:
                            <a href="{xen:link 'conversations/reply', $conversation, 'm={$message.message_id}'}"
                                class="item control reply ReplyQuote"><span></span>{xen:phrase reply}</a>

In the post template, find this and comment it out:

Code:
                        <a href="{xen:link threads/reply, $thread, 'quote={$post.post_id}'}"
                            data-postUrl="{xen:link posts/quote, $post}"
                            data-tip="#MQ-{$post.post_id}"
                            class="ReplyQuote item control reply"
                            title="{xen:phrase reply_quoting_this_message}"><span></span>{xen:phrase reply}</a>

3. Chad

Chad Active Member

Thanks @Maru

But this looks like it would remove the reply button, correct? I don't want to remove the button per post, only disable it from quoting the post. In other words, simply act as a reply button without quoting the post.

4. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

If you aren't quoting a post, then just use the reply text box at the bottom of the thread. Like I am doing now.

The only thing is that without a quote people can't know you are replying to a specific post. So it's not really a reply to anything, just an addition to the thread in general.

To show a reply to a specific post, but without quoting would need some other way to show it's the reply, e.g with a nested view of posts or some other indicator that you are referencing a certain post.

5. 51463

51463 Well-Known Member

I would also like to do this.

The reason is i am always finding myself pressing on "Reply" just so i takes me to the very bottom and i can reply to the thread. In this case i always have to delete the quoted stuff. I find reply a bit misleading. Unless you read the hovering part. Which says it quotes that post.

I wish the reply would take you to the bottom without quoting.

Or maybe add my own link?

anyone figure it out?

thanks.

6. 51463

51463 Well-Known Member

I figured it out. This works:

7. 51463

51463 Well-Known Member

You can use this also but it only works in IE, for some reason it doesn't work in Chrome

8. 51463

51463 Well-Known Member

Ok i figured it out. !! (y)(y) It was because you need to Capitalize the quick reply

This one is better because it doesn't show up in the tooltip when highlighting

You can see it live on my forum. I also added a "Top" Button. But you need to be a member to see the Reply.
    http://thebiggestforums.com/community/threads/the-garfield-comic-book-collection.9

I used Dylan V's code

thanks, bye!

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    SH0CKER likes this.
  9. Chad

Chad Active Member

Where do you edit this?

10. 51463

51463 Well-Known Member

In the "Post" template

At the very bottom on the 7th line from the bottom: I had to add some spaces because i wouldn't automatically put a space

This should work

Mine looks different because i added a Top & worded it different

But here's mine:
    Code:

<xen:include template="message">

<xen:map from="$post" to="$message" />

<xen:set var="$messageId">post-{$post.post_id}</xen:set>

<xen:set var="$likesUrl">{xen:link posts/likes, $post}</xen:set>

<xen:set var="$messageContentAfterTemplate"><xen:if is="{$post.attachments}"><xen:include template="attached_files" /></xen:if></xen:set>

<xen:set var="$messageAfterTemplate">

<div class="messageMeta ToggleTriggerAnchor">

<div class="privateControls">
                    <xen:if is="{$post.canInlineMod}"><input type="checkbox" name="posts[]" value="{$post.post_id}" class="InlineModCheck item" data-target="#post-{$post.post_id}" title="{xen:phrase select_this_post_by_x, 'name={$post.username}'}" /></xen:if>
                    <span class="item muted">
                        <span class="authorEnd"><xen:username user="$post" class="author" />,</span>
                        <a href="{xen:link threads/post-permalink, $thread, 'post={$post}'}" title="{xen:phrase permalink}" class="datePermalink"><xen:datetime time="$post.post_date" /></a>
                    </span>
                    <xen:hook name="post_private_controls" params="{xen:array 'post={$post}'}">
                    <xen:if is="{$post.canEdit}">
                        <a href="{xen:link posts/edit, $post}" class="item control edit {xen:if $xenOptions.messageInlineEdit, OverlayTrigger}"
                            data-href="{xen:link posts/edit-inline, $post}" data-overlayOptions="{&quot;fixed&quot;:false}"
                            data-messageSelector="#post-{$post.post_id}"><span></span>{xen:phrase edit}</a>
                        <xen:require js="js/xenforo/discussion.js" />
                    </xen:if>
                    <xen:if is="{$post.edit_count} && {$post.canViewHistory}"><a href="{xen:link posts/history, $post}" class="item control history ToggleTrigger"><span></span>{xen:phrase history}</a></xen:if>
                    <xen:if is="{$post.canDelete}"><a href="{xen:link posts/delete, $post}" class="item control delete OverlayTrigger"><span></span>{xen:phrase delete}</a></xen:if>
                    <xen:if is="{$post.canCleanSpam}"><a href="{xen:link spam-cleaner, $post}" class="item control deleteSpam OverlayTrigger"><span></span>{xen:phrase spam}</a></xen:if>
                    <xen:if is="{$canViewIps} AND {$post.ip_id}"><a href="{xen:link posts/ip, $post}" class="item control ip OverlayTrigger"><span></span>{xen:phrase ip}</a></xen:if>

<xen:if is="{$post.canWarn}">
                        <a href="{xen:link members/warn, $post, 'content_type=post', 'content_id={$post.post_id}'}" class="item control warn"><span></span>{xen:phrase warn}</a>
                    <xen:elseif is="{$post.warning_id} && {$canViewWarnings}" />
                        <a href="{xen:link warnings, $post}" class="OverlayTrigger item control viewWarning"><span></span>{xen:phrase view_warning}</a>
                    <xen:if is="{$post.canReport}">
                        <a href="{xen:link posts/report, $post}" class="OverlayTrigger item control report" data-cacheOverlay="false"><span></span>{xen:phrase report}</a>

</xen:hook>
                </div>

<div class="publicControls">
                    <a href="{xen:link threads/post-permalink, $thread, 'post={$post}'}" title="{xen:phrase permalink}" class="item muted postNumber hashPermalink OverlayTrigger" data-href="{xen:link posts/permalink, $post}">#{xen:calc '{$post.position} + 1'}</a>
                    <xen:hook name="post_public_controls" params="{xen:array 'post={$post}'}">
                    <xen:if is="{$post.canLike}">
                        <a href="{xen:link posts/like, $post}" class="LikeLink item control {xen:if $post.like_date, unlike, like}" data-container="#likes-post-{$post.post_id}"><span></span><span class="LikeLabel">{xen:if $post.like_date, {xen:phrase unlike}, {xen:phrase like}}</span></a>
                    <xen:if is="{$canReply}">
                        <xen:if is="{$xenOptions.multiQuote}"><a href="{xen:link threads/reply, $thread, 'quote={$post.post_id}'}"
                            data-messageid="{$post.post_id}"
                            class="MultiQuoteControl JsOnly item control"
                            title="{xen:phrase toggle_multi_quote_tooltip}"><span></span><span class="symbol">{xen:phrase multiquote_add}</span></a></xen:if>
                        <a href="{xen:link threads/reply, $thread, 'quote={$post.post_id}'}"
                            data-postUrl="{xen:link posts/quote, $post}"
                            data-tip="#MQ-{$post.post_id}"
                            class="ReplyQuote item control reply"
                            title="{xen:phrase reply_quoting_this_message}"><span></span>{xen:phrase reply}</a>

&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="{$requestPaths.requestUri}#QuickReply" title="Reply Thread"><span></span>Reply&nbsp;Thread</a>          

</xen:hook>

<a href="{$requestPaths.requestUri}#navigation" style="margin-left: 10px;">{xen:phrase go_to_top}</a>              

</div>
            </div>
        </xen:set>

</xen:include>

I find it very useful. I can easily go to the bottom and reply without quoting and the top makes it even more convient

Heres the outcome

Capture.PNG

Last edited: May 7, 2015