1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Reply button like on vbulletin

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by jauburn, Dec 19, 2014.

1. jauburn

jauburn Well-Known Member

Just occurred to me that for a newbie, the vbulletin way of having a big old reply button above and to the left of the first post was really good. Is there an add-on that puts a Reply button there?

Thanks.

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

If you check out the thread_view template there's a button that is commented out you can simply remove the <xen:comment> around it

jauburn likes this.
  3. jauburn

Thank you. This worked superbly. Was this button recently removed? Seems to me it used to be there.

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

It's been commented out for as long as I remember :D

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  5. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It was removed in early 1.0 development, IIRC. There's a long thread debating its merits somewhere. I recently stumbled upon the code and it never occurred to me it was ever removed. Just assumed it was there. Lol

6. jauburn

So another question: Now that I have the Reply to Thread button back, how do I get it to show up also to guests? This would be a way, of course, to prompt registration, so clicking the Reply button would take guests to the signup/login page. I believe there was a vbulletin feature similar to this, or maybe it was an add-on.

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Add this:
    HTML:
    <xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id}">
        <xen:topctrl>
            <a href="{xen:link 'register'}" class="callToAction"><span>{xen:phrase reply_to_thread}</span></a>
        </xen:topctrl>
    </xen:if>

jauburn likes this.
  8. jauburn

Hmm, where should I add that, precisely?

The current code I have is this:

<xen:if is="{$canReply}">
    <xen:topctrl>
    <a href="{xen:link 'threads/reply', $thread}" class="callToAction"><span>{xen:phrase reply_to_thread}</span></a>
    </xen:topctrl>
    </xen:if>

9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Add it directly below.

jauburn likes this.
  10. jauburn

Could you give me the code that would add a Post New Thread button for guests (one level up from individual threads) and do the same thing (take them to registration page)? :)

11. tonmo

tonmo Active Member

Sadly, it appears this was removed in v1.5... true?