DIASPORA: The NEW Social Network

Diaspora isn't even catchy so i doubt anyone will remember it when it comes to browse a random site.
What's that search engine who also come out with a really weird name that didn't sound like it was spelled? Coolie? Kuli?

Okay I actually had to search. :p Cuil.

Has the rest of the world realised yet that this thing relies upon hundreds of thousands of individuals hosting Diaspora instances on their own servers? Does anyone here intend to run a Diaspora node, or know someone else who does?
I have a feeling this will be the new Google Wave... Tons of hype, but the final product will be terribly underwhelming.

Has the rest of the world realised yet that this thing relies upon hundreds of thousands of individuals hosting Diaspora instances on their own servers? Does anyone here intend to run a Diaspora node, or know someone else who does?

Do I see an epic fail in the making? I mean, will the average user want to go through all the trouble? Seems they want to tackle facebook on their weakest point: user privacy. Perhaps they need to think of a better way than their current approach.

Yeah, this really isn't like Facebook at all. Facebook is a website, a closed, hosted system where everything is controlled by the company. This is an open-source, self-hosted, uh... "network." It's really more like a protocol than a social networking website.

It's not going to catch on simply because it's hard to use. Users will have to download the software, set up their node, most likely forward ports, etc. No, no, no, no, no! They've got it all wrong. Sure, maybe the 37,415 people (a laughable .007%) who quit Facebook on "Quit Facebook Day" will set up a node, but 98% of Facebook users won't care, and I would guess that 75% of Facebook users aren't even aware of the privacy issues that have been raised lately (I can't count how many times I'll be browsing friends' wall's, or just sitting on my news feed, and stumble upon personal photo albums of people I don't even know who probably would not want me looking at all their photos).

They would face a massive stumbling block trying to attract users away from Facebook even if this was a traditional web-based social network. The fact that it requires users to download and host their own "node" (essentially a specialized server) and deal with things like GPG encryption keys pretty much dooms this idea to failure in my opinion.

Granted, if it does succeed I'll eat my words and be very happy. But it just seems like the wrong idea.

Unfortunately, these poor guys don't know what they are doing. The very first thing they should have done was find out if anyone was willing to host these nodes. Some of them on their own machine where anyone can potentially have access to this machine and steel your private information.

I give them credit, but this won't go with me, plus i don't see many people using it very much. To me is seems like anyone using is will be considered running a node.

I wish them the best just like with anything else.

Personally, I think they have been talking about this thing for far too long without an actual demo. With the hype they've generated, Diaspora is going to have a major job being anything other than Disappointora.

That said, I wish them the best of luck. You've got to be either a genius or a certifiable nut job to set yourself up in competition with Facebook.

It's not really a demo but...

On one hand, Facebook didn't have as many users as Myspace when they launched, so that's a piss-poor argument and you all should be ashamed of yourselves for even fooling yourselves and trying to fool others into believing such a weak argument.

On the other hand, I like what these guys are trying to do, but as stated out by quite a few people here, the technical aspects may severely impact the footprint of this software. I know in the other thread I mentioned we needed decentralized social networking, but I wasn't exactly thinking about it in this way. More like a common network between individual sites. Depending on how this is implemented, most people won't want to setup a server, even if it is as simple as downloading one file and running it (bundled webserver with PnP-capabilities). Then how do I connect to my friends? What happens if I posted a picture of myself completely wasted, but want to delete it before someone whom I don't want to view it, sees it on their node? According to the Diaspora people, a copy will be sent out to all my friends, how will that work? Doesn't that raise even more of a privacy issue than Facebook?

One of the reasons people like Facebook, is you go, you sign up, then you're connected to millions of users. This will have a hard time competing with that sort of simplicity, no doubt, but if they can pull it off, my hat's off to them.

On one hand, Facebook didn't have as many users as Myspace when they launched, so that's a piss-poor argument and you all should be ashamed of yourselves for even fooling yourselves and trying to fool others into believing such a weak argument.
MySpace was doing it wrong, and as such their site turned into a craphole. Facebook came along and did it right. Facebook is still doing it right, for the most part. That's why we're all having such a hard time believing anyone could oust them.

What happens if I posted a picture of myself completely wasted, but want to delete it before someone whom I don't want to view it, sees it on their node? According to the Diaspora people, a copy will be sent out to all my friends, how will that work?

I have a feeling it just connects to the server like you would connect to a website. Nothing is saved or cached. If I delete a page from my website, it disappears when you try to visit it. Same thing here. If I delete a picture on my node, it will disappear on your view of my node. :)

Not sure about that. Luckily it's not even remotely close to being a goal of mine.
Take it as a compliment. I see the rise of xenForo or similar product being the fall of Facebook because everyone can have their own social network.

They're not comparable in the slightest.
How not comparable? You get alerts in real time. You can "like" posts... You can have your own profile feed of what you've been doing on the site. Need I say more? Anyone doing what xenForo is doing is going to be making a buttload of cash the first 3 months of launch. I mean, if the rise of registration on xenForo is any indication...

How not comparable? You get alerts in real time. You can "like" posts... You can have your own profile feed of what you've been doing on the site. Need I say more? Anyone doing what xenForo is doing is going to be making a buttload of cash the first 3 months of launch. I mean, if the rise of registration on xenForo is any indication...
Forum = place to go for dicussions and information (For the most part).
Facebook = place to go to stay connected, or connect to people on a personal level.

There is some overlap, and thats not all either system offers, however thats the basic difference for the most part.

A forum cannot compete with Facebook, as a forum usually has a set target; Facebook targets people who wish to social with people.

And not everyone will be making a 'buttload of cash' in 3 months after launching a site, thats just inane to think possible. A lot of what will make money depends on the actions of the owner of the forum, not on the platform. 

And not everyone will be making a 'buttload of cash' in 3 months after launching a site, thats just inane to think possible. A lot of what will make money depends on the actions of the owner of the forum, not on the platform.
Not everyone, but my point still remains. And it IS possible.

There is a demand for a forum + social network (preferably facebook style).

Top Bottom