DIASPORA: The NEW Social Network

They're not comparable in the slightest.

Agreed, Xen is going to require a small amount of technical input to get up and running, falling off a bar stool at closing time comes to mind as an analogy, but lets face facts here the bogan hordes and surprisingly middle aged chicks that comprise large numbers of the facebook user base are not going to want to even fall off a bar stool ...

Have been taking a note of one of our local internet pay $2 for 30 minutes style places, the number of bogans just sitting there staring at unchanging facebook pages is surprising. I want to get a national "watch paint dry" league happening.

From my experience, anything that attempts to be the "next" anything has already failed. Facebook seems to have the social proof on its side, so the "next" facebook needs to satisfy a niche that facebook cannot easily expand into (privacy is their "niche," but they have obfuscated that by making the social networking process overly complex).

The rise of Twitter and Facebook seem to confirm an observed trend in human behavior, such that the huge amounts of information available to all of us is so overwhelming (same reason that confirmation bias seems to be more prevalent now than ever before) that we need it to be predominately simplified and aggregated. Longer reading material / technical concerns(>= 250 words, lets say) are becoming less accessible to the general masses, as many of us just don't have the attention capacities to pay attention to them anymore.

From my experience, anything that attempts to be the "next" anything has already failed. Facebook seems to have the social proof on its side, so the "next" facebook needs to satisfy a niche that facebook cannot easily expand into (privacy is their "niche," but they have obfuscated that by making the social networking process overly complex).

The rise of Twitter and Facebook seem to confirm an observed trend in human behavior, such that the huge amounts of information available to all of us is so overwhelming (same reason that confirmation bias seems to be more prevalent now than ever before) that we need it to be predominately simplified and aggregated. Longer reading material / technical concerns(>= 250 words, lets say) are becoming less accessible to the general masses, as many of us just don't have the attention capacities to pay attention to them anymore.

Would agree Cole, we have reduced our preferred review length from 1,200 words to 800 due to a number of people pointing out the existing length was beyond the scope of your average interweb surfer, ergo was putting people off.

Are we in an age where people are being dumbed down, the lowest common denominator is holding sway, or has it always been like this and I simply haven't noticed?

Google Wave is all but dead.
Especially cuz the wave guy works for Facebook now.
Facebook Wave ?
:)

Diaspora is now in alpha. April 15, 2011
It isn't dead as there are still people working on it, and there are quite a few forks with interesting features.

EDIT: Weird, can't find where you can download it, but I remember reading that they allowed it to be used privately after they closed the service.

EDIT: Found it; http://www.waveprotocol.org/

It isn't dead
as there are still people working on it, and there are quite a few forks with interesting features.
Weird, can't find where you can download it, but I remember reading that they allowed it to be used privately after they closed the service.
The Wave creator bolted when Google "pulled" the Wave.
You can't download it.
It created it's own mass hysteria in the beginning and now it's rarely if ever talked about.
But you don't think it's dead.

OK, would you accept that Google Wave is losing weight on chemotherapy ? and being followed by the Palliative Care Service ?
I just logged into my Wave Account. It is painfully slow, as always.
Traffic has dropped off 99%.
D E A D.
Data federation itself is a cool concept, but Google's implementation was never good or popular.

The Wave creator bolted when Google "pulled" the Wave.
You can't download it.
It created it's own mass hysteria in the beginning and now it's rarely if ever talked about.
But you don't think it's dead.

OK, would you accept that Google Wave is losing weight on chemotherapy ? and being followed by the Palliative Care Service ?
I just logged into my Wave Account. It is painfully slow, as always.
Traffic has dropped off 99%.
D E A D.
Data federation itself is a cool concept, but Google's implementation was never good or popular.
It has been taken over by the Apache Foundation, read the link I edited in before you posted.

IF this takes off, how long before someone turns it into the largest most de-centralised botnet / Ddos network going?

Notlong methinks.

Top Bottom