Implemented Custom profile fields

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Only occupation and home page could theoretically be custom fields, and the only one I'd consider making custom is occupation. Making things be custom fields makes deep integration (which we do with location, gender, and custom titles) effectively impossible.

Mike, do we really require deep integration with custom fields. On my forum, we read all new registration profiles and only then accept them. Since we now don't have custom fields there are a few trouble-makers getting in. So for us, we only need them in the profile page. Would that require deep integration?

Also, one of my members mentioned that before he replies someone's post, he goes through the profile and gets to know the person first. I do that too. In such cases, more info in profile help members a lot.

To me profile page is not very useful now. The member card itself shows mostly what we need to know at a glance.

May be this could be an add on?? Perhaps a detailed 'member info' tab beside the 'profile post' tab in profile page.

Mike, do we really require deep integration with custom fields. On my forum, we read all new registration profiles and only then accept them. Since we now don't have custom fields there are a few trouble-makers getting in. So for us, we only need them in the profile page. Would that require deep integration?
That's really the opposite of what I was responding to. The comment was around making some of the default fields be custom fields. I was saying that doing that would prevent some of the deep integration we have (eg, the way unset avatars vary by gender).

That's really the opposite of what I was responding to. The comment was around making some of the default fields be custom fields. I was saying that doing that would prevent some of the deep integration we have (eg, the way unset avatars vary by gender).

Mike, thanks for clarifying. In my opinion, leaving the default fields as such is okay. They work well. Just need extra profile fields especially for my type of community which requires us to know the people really well.

Mike, perhaps a "info" tab in the profile page, listing custom profile information. Default information can stay as-is. But remember that most of us will create or want to use mod's that are based off of some of this custom fields.

Maybe each custom field created by the admin will have a "field id" or something that can be used when creating custom mods based on the field answers.

Mike - The gender field needs to be a custom field, because for many sites couples join and not just an individual. I modified the current version of xenforo to support couples, but this will become a real pain to do with each release of xenforo.

Sounds like a lot of people want this. I just hope it can be turned off if it is added. People will use it for advertising on my forum and that would be a difficult situation for me.

Sounds like a lot of people want this. I just hope it can be turned off if it is added. People will use it for advertising on my forum and that would be a difficult situation for me.
Huh? Custom profiles are managed by the admin. If you don't create a new profile field, the spammers can't fill them out of course.

Huh? Custom profiles are managed by the admin. If you don't create a new profile field, the spammers can't fill them out of course.

I see, I have never had a forum that had custom profiles so am not familiar with them. I simply saw some the other day on another forum.

I never was on vB3. Went from SMF to vB4. From what I understand 3 had them and 4 does not.

VB does not have custom profile fields as default. You have to create them from the admin CP. That's why you don't see them running a stock VB.

Didn't that just come back in 4.0.8

I am on 4.0.6

You're thinking of "custom profiles" - these are to do with allowing users to style their own profile and were removed in vB4.0 and just made it back in 4.0.8, as you say.

Custom profile fields (www.yourvBsite.com/forum/admincp/profilefield.php?do=modify) basically allow admins to insert extra options or information for a user to fill out on their profile. Examples would be "What is your favourite colour" where a user can type their answer into a text box, or "Tick the games you play" where a user is able to tick check-boxes of all the games they play. This extra data can then be used to allow members to find out more about each other, or for admins to set certain conditions based on a user's answer, e.g. "if a user has said they play game X, display icon X by their user name" etc.

You're thinking of "custom profiles" - these are to do with allowing users to style their own profile and were removed in vB4.0 and just made it back in 4.0.8, as you say.

Custom profile fields (www.yourvBsite.com/forum/admincp/profilefield.php?do=modify) basically allow admins to insert extra options or information for a user to fill out on their profile. Examples would be "What is your favourite colour" where a user can type their answer into a text box, or "Tick the games you play" where a user is able to tick check-boxes of all the games they play. This extra data can then be used to allow members to find out more about each other, or for admins to set certain conditions based on a user's answer, e.g. "if a user has said they play game X, display icon X by their user name" etc.

Yes, that is what I am thinking of. Since I have not used it I was picturing it having more capability than that. Not quite as worried about it now.

I see, I have never had a forum that had custom profiles so am not familiar with them. I simply saw some the other day on another forum.
In theory, you could have a 20 to 30 character field in peoples profile titled "what I carry" on your site. Then they could type there favorite things to carry such as a certain brand of LED flashlight. If someone is asking "how do I fix my LED flashlight" and they have a certain model of Surefire light listed, other people would have a better chance of giving good advice.

Mike - The gender field needs to be a custom field, because for many sites couples join and not just an individual. I modified the current version of xenforo to support couples, but this will become a real pain to do with each release of xenforo.

Either a custom field or a field that we can customize for our sites in the Admin CP. The latter would allow them to keep the deep integration if they really think it's that important.

Custom Profile Fields are essential...

I concur with this and all the above comments.

Not only do two of the sites that we're thinking of converting have them, but a future site will depend on them greatly. Please add this to the next Beta release or the one after. For me, it's a must.

The custom fields should also have the ability to be placed in the registration as well. Custom fields on my forum (which members are manually approved) has been the only effective method of keeping spam off my forums. Captcha only does so much.

Top Bottom