Implemented Custom profile fields

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Ah for those who don't know what it is, it's adding extra fields on the profile of the user, where he can choose anything you wish using any of the HTML form elements. Ex: sports you like, religion, political affiliation or anything else.

Ah for those who don't know what it is, it's adding extra fields on the profile of the user, where he can choose anything you wish using any of the HTML form elements. Ex: sports you like, religion, political affiliation or anything else.
Not sure about some of the implementation details (i.e. html), but yes we need custom profile fields.

Just so you know Mike already suggested this is planned to be added, just not how it is going to be implemented. So if you have suggestions as to how it should be implemented, the time to give this feedback would be now.

I'd really like to see gender changed to a custom field, not everyone runs a forum where Male, Female and (unspecified) are the only options that are needed.

Obviously fields like Location, Occupation and Home Page should all be made into custom fields.

And I'm not too sure about whether this would be possible or worth it, but I think changing user titles into a custom field might be a good idea too.

My opinion is that you should be able to check custom profile fields to appear right on the first page of the profile of the member, and another checkbox to show them under the avatar on the postbit.

I like how xenForo is uncluttered there, but I can see for a few boards it could be useful to show a couple custom profile fields there.

I'd really like to see gender changed to a custom field, not everyone runs a forum where Male, Female and (unspecified) are the only options that are needed.

Obviously fields like Location, Occupation and Home Page should all be made into custom fields.

And I'm not too sure about whether this would be possible or worth it, but I think changing user titles into a custom field might be a good idea too.
Only occupation and home page could theoretically be custom fields, and the only one I'd consider making custom is occupation. Making things be custom fields makes deep integration (which we do with location, gender, and custom titles) effectively impossible.

I currently use custom fields on our team forum, so users can enter which country they're from and their game username. From this I can then show their country flag and game online status in postbit/profile. Having the same possibility in XenForo is essential for me to make the switch from vB.

Being the creator / upgrader of a couple of vB mods based upon custom mods (and now an XF license holder, yay!), I can't wait to see custom profile fields implemented. Personally I'd like to see the custom profile fields as a separate table so that you could have SETS of fields. In my case, it could be used to have a set of fields for each computer I have. PC1: (mobo, CPU, etc). PC2: (mobo, CPU, etc). Others would use it for their various cars / bikes and their mods to said device, and others for their various RPG characters, and so on.

In my case I have it where your PC specs (aka a set of fields) are a dropdown above each of your posts. The ultimate idea being to have a way to have a user CP option where you select your default set(s) with the obligatory on/off switch to show them in your profile / posts. In creating each post you'd have the option to turn on/off the switch per post and/or to select sets to display in the post and/or postbit on the fly. I'd like to see a way to have a dropdown (or a link to mini profile pop up or something) in the postbit header (or whatever it's called in XF language lol).

Anyway, does the idea of "sets" of custom profile fields sound like a good idea to anyone, specifically the idea of having it as a standard (but optional) feature? For your standard forum it may be a feature not used, but there may be enough speciality forums out there that would like it to warrant it being a feature.

I know the rest is definitely add-on territory, but I can dream :) Oh boy, I see a lot of coding in my future, and I haven't touched OO in years...

Someone was asking about this in another forum, and I didn't know we couldn't do this yet....so I am suggesting it! Pretty important on some forums...like mine :D

yeeap very important to have this

because some admin would like to ask their user question about other than the question you provided

I use this for adult content on my site. Adult Content? Yes/No. Adult forums get displayed to users who chose Yes during registration or can be changed in the options (this is in my current vBulletin forum). So, yes this is a very important function for me.

Top Bottom