Implemented Custom profile fields

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
You're thinking of "custom profiles" - these are to do with allowing users to style their own profile and were removed in vB4.0 and just made it back in 4.0.8, as you say.

Custom profile fields (www.yourvBsite.com/forum/admincp/profilefield.php?do=modify) basically allow admins to insert extra options or information for a user to fill out on their profile. Examples would be "What is your favourite colour" where a user can type their answer into a text box, or "Tick the games you play" where a user is able to tick check-boxes of all the games they play. This extra data can then be used to allow members to find out more about each other, or for admins to set certain conditions based on a user's answer, e.g. "if a user has said they play game X, display icon X by their user name" etc.

Also it would be good for security

with the bit where you could put n^N or something i forgotten at the top of my head, that would be nice for XenForo too maybe a choice of IF / AND / OR statement in a drop down so we could have B [OR] b or even:
XENFORO AND xenforo AND XenForo or even IF Blue "Correct" else Invalid.

Count me as someone who needs a custom field. I use a custom field for "newsletter subscribe Yes/No" that appears only at registration. vB allows me to generate a mailing list based upon that profile field criteria. I usually search based on those who selected 'Yes' in that field and set join date to the last time I performed the export.

You're thinking of "custom profiles" - these are to do with allowing users to style their own profile and were removed in vB4.0 and just made it back in 4.0.8, as you say.

Custom profile fields (www.yourvBsite.com/forum/admincp/profilefield.php?do=modify) basically allow admins to insert extra options or information for a user to fill out on their profile. Examples would be "What is your favourite colour" where a user can type their answer into a text box, or "Tick the games you play" where a user is able to tick check-boxes of all the games they play. This extra data can then be used to allow members to find out more about each other, or for admins to set certain conditions based on a user's answer, e.g. "if a user has said they play game X, display icon X by their user name" etc.
Would really like to see this soon as well.

Custom profile fields can quickly help weed out spammers on more focused niche forums (as what is common to the community the spammer has no idea of.)

It's useful to make the member info pages much more interesting to have profile fields which prompt new members to tell a little more about themselves when joining.

It's helpful for troubleshooting forums to have customizable user profile fields to identify what a new member is running.

This is really the only holding me back from porting all of my sites over to xF. My sites depend heavily on it. All of the mod's I use on my other sites tie in to the custom fields with SMF. Even if it was available as a mod for xF and not there by default, it would be hard for me to get someone to tailor other mods to use it.

This has got to be one of the most liked threads. Nearly 100 requests/likes for custom profile fields. Kier and Mike will have to notice this, I'm sure :)

Add another one to the list :)
We can't even consider going live without custom profile fields, they are the lifeblood of our site. Any updates on whether this will be implemented soon would be appreciated

Add another one to the list :)
We can't even consider going live without custom profile fields, they are the lifeblood of our site. Any updates on whether this will be implemented soon would be appreciated

Just to expand a bit (and summarize), i think what most people would like to see at a minimum:

* Ability for admins to define a custom profile field (as in vbulletin)
* Ability to choose whether or not this custom field appears on the registration form (and whether it is mandatory, or not.)

This functionality is extremely crucial to niche communities, if only to help admins filter out people who shouldn't be applying to the community. (Not to mention the fact that spammers stick out like a sore thumb when they can't figure out how to properly fill out a custom field.)

We process dozens or hundreds of new users a day manually, and without these additional profile fields at registration, there would be no way for our mods to decide who gets in & who doesn't.

I'm currently struggling trying to build my site around not having custom profile fields until it finally does come out.

So far, it's not going that well. I may have to revert back to SMF until I see it on xF.

A long time ago Mike posted that the most likely field that could be used as a custom profile field would be Occupation. I will look into renaming that until the custom profile fields are implemented.

I am absolutely sure that xenForo needs this. For anyone that has used custom profile fields, there are so many uses for it. From obtaining important demographic information to sharing favorite info to creating displayed images as a result of a selection. Lots of great uses with custom profile fields. :D

Not sure Xenforo needs this.
I'm also 100% sure that this is an absolute necessity. The vast majority of existing, successful communities use custom profile fields either at registration or at some point during the user's experience. If XenForo fails to include this as a built-in feature (along with the appropriate import tool), it will drastically inhibit the ability of people to come over from vB or other platforms.

I am currently debating switching over to xF. Right now I store users STEAM_ID in an additional profile field in vB.
I would not be able to switch if this feature isn't included.

Thanks,

Top Bottom