Implemented Custom profile fields

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I wonder if it's possible to add custom profile fields using an add-on WITHOUT having to hack up the entire product ....

Mike and Kier already indicated that they will be adding custom fields. So it's not a question of WHETHER it gets implemented, but a question of WHEN. With a little luck, we'll see if before Gold. If not, probably shortly after.

With a little luck, we'll see if before Gold.
No. In beta, only fairly small (isolated) changes were added. Strictly speaking, as soon as it went to RC, 1.0 became totally fixed. If you're expecting anything new before 1.1, then you're going to be disappointed.

Mike and Kier already indicated that they will be adding custom fields. So it's not a question of WHETHER it gets implemented, but a question of WHEN. With a little luck, we'll see if before Gold. If not, probably shortly after.
No doubt in my mind it will be added, but I doubt that it will be added anytime soon.

Creating a competitive Forum Product that is innovative is very difficult (the team here has done this!). Add the Litigation, small development team, and high expectations from the team, I doubt we should have any core features quickly.

The XenForo development team HAS TOO much work to do. It would be nice if the community came together to help (temporarily) in creating features people want and need ASAP.

No doubt in my mind it will be added, but I doubt that it will be added anytime soon.

Creating a competitive Forum Product that is innovative is very difficult (the team here has done this!). Add the Litigation, small development team, and high expectations from the team, I doubt we should have any core features quickly.

The XenForo development team HAS TOO much work to do. It would be nice if the community came together to help (temporarily) in creating features people want and need ASAP.

Luckily there's still a ton of enthusiasm even with everything on their plate:
http://xenforo.com/community/members/kier.2/
His latest status :)

(offtopic)
You can link directly to a profile post, such as a status change, like this: http://xenforo.com/community/members/kier.2/#profile-post-4775
Steve Machol however still doesn't quite get it (understandably) when it comes to status changes: http://xenforo.com/community/members/steve-machol.339/, does he? ;)
Yes, I am obviously spending too much time on XenForo... time for a break!
(/offtopic)

I'm still not firmilar with XenForo but i hope get better using it. I will soon need to create a separate section in the profile for a "recently watched" listing for each user's profile which will have multiple values. I'm sure if we can just add a section to the profile, we could use AJAX and create two tables (normalize it) to handle it. In that same way we could also do custom fields, if i can figure it out, i wouldn't mind making an add-on for the community to use.

I agree that custom profile fields are vital.

- I like being able to choose between textarea, text, radio, checkbox, dropdown, etc but i'll settle for just a text field.
- editable / not editable by the user is important for modifications. for example, I use a non-editable custom field to track multiple accounts.
- public / private is important as well. I use this for members to enter their real name & phone number while keeping it hidden from public view.
- might as well throw in a required option too.

like the "contact details" page, fields should have a name & a description

it would be nice if you could group custom fields into categories & some sort of control as to where the fields appear in the control panel / the profile page. then again, i suppose this could be done via a mod.

would be nice if the textarea fields could be given the option of allowing BB code & added the editor to the textarea. again, I suppose this could be done via a mod.

just my 2 cents, thanks

Really looking forward to this being implemented, as we'll be another step closer to be able to switch platforms

No. In beta, only fairly small (isolated) changes were added. Strictly speaking, as soon as it went to RC, 1.0 became totally fixed. If you're expecting anything new before 1.1, then you're going to be disappointed.

What if we beg, bribe, or bully?

This is probably the one most vital feature for a coming release. I'm hoping for some kind of 1.0.1. :)

I can't really launch my forum for real without this feature, and an add-on won't do the trick either because this will just create more difficulties when users input stuff which then have to be transferred etc.

Is there a way to add them manually until they get added later? I discovered I also need them desperately and not just one. Or a way to edit the ones already listed in the Message Elements Fields to suit what I need? Liz

Is there a way to add them manually until they get added later? I discovered I also need them desperately and not just one. Or a way to edit the ones already listed in the Message Elements Fields to suit what I need? Liz

+1. I have a recently bought license sitting idle. I seriously will need some way to put mandatory fields in place for the idea in question.

Ideas for when the profile fields are implemented:

- Ability to set them to be mandatory
- Ability to configure for "open input", dropdown from a list (if at all possible, perhaps even a conditional list (i.e. Option 1 lists Operating systems, option 2 lists versions based opn selection 1).
- Native ability for icons/graphics.
- Native support of multiple tabs worth of data (DJs dynamic tabs I think the vB mod is called).
- Have a beer when you're done! (Always important!)

Top Bottom