Custom 404 Page by Siropu

Custom 404 Page by Siropu 1.1.7

No permission to download
Operator error. I did just turn 65 today, so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!! Going live with my huge ancient site today with tons of 404's! Happy Birthday to me! I was trying to manually enter a redirect I know is coming. You have to fire the redirect to the 404 app (makes sense) THEN add the redirect -- for anyone out there like me. :)

yeah, you cannot manually create redirects using this addon. if you want to, you have to first visit the dead link you want to redirect. it creates an entry in the addon. and then you can setup a redirect!

yeah, you cannot manually create redirects using this addon. if you want to, you have to first visit the dead link you want to redirect. it creates an entry in the addon. and then you can setup a redirect!
Yeah, exactly. I did figure that out on my test site, but my personal memory circuits overloaded going live. :) LOL. Age.

I like the add-on, but two problems. I only can add 1 redirect. When I add another one, the first is replaced. (I am doing something wrong, I guess)

And the list is full of 404 errors on images that are not missing. Checked, images are visible. I guess a bot is causing this problem, but the list is 8 pages full of errors on images. Any ideas how I can prevent missing images entry's show up in the list?

I changed the $perPage to 700, but after clicking to add the 700 selected addresses, only 453 were added. Can it be changed of somewhere?

Attachments

• ent.webp
    ent.webp
    3.9 KB · Views: 17
Entries checked are stored in a cookie to persist them on pagination but there might be an issue with hundreds of items. Try doing less at a time and use the "reset" button after each save.

I am suddenly finding a lot (I mean an entry every couple of minutes on a small forum) that are either 404 links that don't actually exist or else they are from searches.

For example

(1) Referring post that has no links​

Code:
https://cafesaxophone.com/threads/why-so-expensive.33060/post-491881

URL that is 404:

Code:
https://example.com/z0f76a1d14fd21a8fb5fd0d03e0fdc3d3cedae52f?wsidchk=24653433

(note I have replaced cafesaxophone with example sop as not to post a dead link to confuse things)

Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 09.08.49.png

(2) referring search​

Code:
https://cafesaxophone.com/search/57426?page=3&q=cebulla%2Bstraps&c%5Bnode%5D=16&o=relevance

URL of serach result (that is shown as 404):

Code:
https://cafesaxophone.com/s[ATTACH type="full"]272504[/ATTACH]earch/58032?page=2&q=cebulla%2Bstraps&c%5Bnode%5D=16&o=relevance

Is this something to do with the addon, or could it be something is wrong with the actual site?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 09.09.57.webp
    Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 09.09.57.webp
    15.4 KB · Views: 9
Add-on simply tracks the 404 occurrences. Many are probably generated by bots and some might be generated by the users.

my forum is like 18 years old and has seen multiple transitions and even a domain change. so you can imagine how nasty 404s are on this addon. plus the bots... so many hits on fake wordpress installation folders probably just to find a vulnerable installation to hack or whatever. as i mentioned earlier in this thread, i kept on redirecting them to 10GB speedtest files for fun.

basically you would have to ignore hits on weird urls with this addon. even if you have a pretty recent forum with few users. there are a lot of nasty elements out there running bots and scripts and whatnot. if certain urls are being hit repeatedly or you see a valid dead link hit, redirect them to a suitable location. ignore the hits in single digits. it would get tiring to fix them all.

But would bots be doing searches?
They probably can, to test input vulnerabilities.
And what would explain the 404 from a referring post that has no links in it?
Don't know, maybe it has been edited or fake header referer.

The only way to track real 404 pages that matters, is to use a service like MaxMind GeoIP Insights to filter proxy requests done by bad actors.

@Siropu

I use a cron task to clean empty threads and would like to add a redirection to the main page for deleted threads .
How to do that?

Thx.

Top Bottom