Current LawSuit

Blakefire

I know there is a current law suit going on, my question is, whats going on? I dont wanna spend my money on XenForo and find out in say 2 months they lose and XenForo has to suffer...

Uh no sorry bud. Phpbb was a pioneer in the fact it was the first largest forum software used. Phpbb held the title, it was the most advanced at the time. Its what other forums were trying to accomplish, vBulletin finally surpassed it, but it was too late as IPB had already claimed the title and still holds it. I think ur looking at the phpbb3 timeline, the original phpbb came out in the mid 90's. I know because i used it, in 1996 on my first forum. I was around back then and have been in this business since then.
Btw without phpbb we would not have XF so no XF did not innovate anything more than Phpbb did. Stop being such a fanboy. Phpbb is alot older than 12.

I always thought UBB was the "pioneer" , with VB and phpBB coming much later (and VB was before phpBB wasn't it?)

Uh no sorry bud. Phpbb was a pioneer in the fact it was the first largest forum software used. Phpbb held the title, it was the most advanced at the time. Its what other forums were trying to accomplish, vBulletin finally surpassed it, but it was too late as IPB had already claimed the title and still holds it. I think ur looking at the phpbb3 timeline, the original phpbb came out in the mid 90's. I know because i used it, in 1996 on my first forum. I was around back then and have been in this business since then.
Btw without phpbb we would not have XF so no XF did not innovate anything more than Phpbb did. Stop being such a fanboy. Phpbb is alot older than 12.
Seriously, did you even read what I wrote? Because everything you wrote is flat our wrong.

vB were the first to use php. vB was created by the same developers who created XF.

The (ignorant) fanboy here is you.

"phpBB was started by James Atkinson as a simple UBB-like forum for his own website on June 17, 2000. Nathan Codding and John Abela joined the development team after phpBB's CVS repository was moved to SourceForge.net, and work on version 1.0.0 began. A fully functional, pre-release version of phpBB was made available in July.[4]"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpBB

In all fairness, back then the Web was still in its infancies with very limited capabilities. HTML 4.01 anyone? XF has been able to benefit hugely from the more recent improvements including HTML 5.0 and Ajax. Try to run XF on a browser only supporting HTML 4, and you'll see what I mean.
Right, I'm not disregarding that, but to call phpBB a pioneer when all it did was use technology that already existed is just nonsense.

http://forums.devshed.com/php-development-5/help-me-test-4914.html ?

Does anyone know what the actual charges that vbulletin is accusing XF of copying/etc/ I don't see any point in this lawsuite, it seems childish.

Xenforo is completely different then vbulletin....

This lawsuit is about the same as me making my own forum software, and using the same type of bbcode tag to make text bold. Then I get sued by xenforo for doing so, it's the EXACT same logic here. This lawsuit is complete garbage, vbulletin has no right to do this and they should be ashamed of themselves. Xenforo functions 100% differently then vbulletin, only judge that is a FOOL will keep this case alive.

I just lost all the respect I ever had for vBulletin, completely despicable.

Does anyone know what the actual charges that vbulletin is accusing XF of copying/etc/ I don't see any point in this lawsuite, it seems childish.

There was never any specific code cited. The lawsuit began with a claim something like this:

"XenForo must have copied vBulletin because they developed it so quickly after they left our company. They could not have finished the software so quickly without copying us."

After making the accusation then they looked at XenForo's code (which wasn't yet released when the accusation was made). Their expert witness then said there is no copied code. So that claim is basically dead.

So then they shifted their accusations to ideas and concepts, claiming that XF stole the idea of MVC, SEO, HTML5, etc. And it has gotten even more ridiculous as of late. The newest accusations are of a more personal nature, accusing KAM of hacking servers, conspiring with former employees, etc.

It's a witch hunt that is entirely baseless, but it is costing XF tons of money in the meantime which is the point.

There was never any specific code cited. The lawsuit began with a claim something like this:

"XenForo must have copied vBulletin because they developed it so quickly after they left our company. They could not have finished the software so quickly without copying us."

After making the accusation then they looked at XenForo's code (which wasn't yet released when the accusation was made). Their expert witness then said there is no copied code. So that claim is basically dead.

So then they shifted their accusations to ideas and concepts, claiming that XF stole the idea of MVC, SEO, HTML5, etc. And it has gotten even more ridiculous as of late. The newest accusations are of a more personal nature, accusing KAM of hacking servers, conspiring with former employees, etc.

It's a witch hunt that is entirely baseless, but it is costing XF tons of money in the meantime which is the point.

Wow, completely despicable.. Thanks for that information, seems like vBulletin is just extremely jealous or childish. Wouldn't be surprised if they are both. But the only response I can give you to this is:

tumblr_m9se3bQvjJ1qmfycto3_500.jpg

Like I said, I used to like vbulletin for years. But after seeing this thread, I will not recommend their software to any of my clients or no one ever again. That company is dead to me.

Uh no sorry bud. Phpbb was a pioneer in the fact it was the first largest forum software used. Phpbb held the title, it was the most advanced at the time.
Which is such a relative descriptor as to be almost meaningless. At any one time one software or another might have more advanced features, and they'd alternate during major releases as well. Not sure why you're driving so strongly for PhpBB. For what it's worth, in my experience, during the last 8 years (until XF) vBulletin was both the most advanced and the most r solution available. Maybe PhpBB was bigger 12+ years ago, during the internet's antiquity.

Its what other forums were trying to accomplish, vBulletin finally surpassed it, but it was too late as IPB had already claimed the title and still holds it.
Not sure where you get your information.from at all. Check out Big Boards--among brand name forums, everyone is on vBulletin (with a few using PhpBB for being free). IB I almost never see in regular browsing of the web, and they have a very weak presence on Big Boards.

Anyway, back to the topic.

Top Bottom