Current LawSuit

Blakefire

I know there is a current law suit going on, my question is, whats going on? I dont wanna spend my money on XenForo and find out in say 2 months they lose and XenForo has to suffer...

This is a pioneer:

images

Oh i hate phpbb, im not pulling for that at all. vB was the most popular forever due to its ability to be edited with ease. BTW there really is no pioneer in actuality. XF has done nothing no other forum has done was my point, btw its not about who came first, its about who does it better. So far, they all are good forums. XF is a dope forum, i love it, but its leaves me wanting more, ya know? Im not a fanboy lol, as i have expressed all sides to all major forums, i have stated the downfalls and pros for all 3. How does that make me a fanboy? Im not siiting here saying a certain forum is the best there is, was and always will be, thats just ignorant. All solutions are nice and offer something in their own right. XF is very nice, for what it is, a forum. IPB offers a full suite, vB offers..well an outdated forum lol.

It is worth to say that Xenforo as a business has shown little sign of activity in severl quarters, and has so far given few reasons not to believe that something is seriously amiss. That large boards such as IGN and (in the future) DP use xenforo should not be a selling point for your run off the mill forum admin for the following reason: Both IGN, DP and others that aren't as cash strapped as most hobby boards can afford to maintain and develop XF independently. Most small community admins can not.

Lacking even an estimate as to when development will resume, let alone the release of 1.2 or what will actually make it in there. XF can currently not be considered future proof development wise, unless you have bags of money or the resources to maintain the product / develop it to get on par with what is becoming the norm.

Definitely agreeing on this. I am in the process of switching my site over to Xenforo as we speak, which we are right now running IPB 3 until we get some kinks worked out. But if Xenforo goes under, hypothetically, I've wasted time and will be in a predicament. Cause I don't have the time or the resource to develop XF independently. But the risk has a reward.

I hate going this far back in a thread but since you quoted it ...

whyweprotest said:
Lacking even an estimate as to when development will resume ...

Referring to when "development will resume" presupposes that it has stopped. The developers surely are distracted and slowed down by the lawsuit, but I've seen no indication that development is stopped.

Well for me looking at moving over from VB for this is a worry as I really don't need to find out in a year or so I need to start looking yet again for a forum software. I have only been running my VB site now for just over 18 month after moving from SMF.

Well for me looking at moving over from VB for this is a worry as I really don't need to find out in a year or so I need to start looking yet again for a forum software. I have only been running my VB site now for just over 18 month after moving from SMF.

Then you have to read the facts and evaluate the situation yourself. Until we get a real update on the expected release of a new version with or without new features, the only think we can count on for XF is security patches. (at least for now) There are a number of paid addons that restore some lost functionality to XF (that you may have used in vB) as well as some free addons that enhance things a bit, it just depends on what you expect to have, crossing over from the vBulletin world.

Pioneers: Don't forget Usenet and the WELL. I was on the WELL for many years and, frankly, forums in general don't offer much more functionality than that mid-'80s Unix-based software, GUIs and pretty designs notwithstanding.

I came back because I found some inside dirt.

http://vbtruth.com/vbulletin-staff-behind-the-curtians/435/

I hope that kid doesn't work on the support team anymore. Oh wait, I could careless. I heard rumours he's still on the support team. (Pretty saddening), but that just goes to show you the professionalism of vbulletin is complete ****. (Sorry for swearing).
I believe he did some marketing stuff for vB? Yep: http://xtrememarketingmachines.com/about-lawrence-cole

Can't even get the basic spelling right (your vs you're). Attacking customers, even the ones attacking the company is simply unacceptable. vB/IB doesn't even seem to care who they hire.

I believe he did some marketing stuff for vB? Yep: http://xtrememarketingmachines.com/about-lawrence-cole

Can't even get the basic spelling right (your vs you're). Attacking customers, even the ones attacking the company is simply unacceptable. vB/IB doesn't even seem to care who they hire.

That article isn't very acurrate IMO.

"His curiosity (and NASA’s high end computing resources) drove him to continue building websites as a participant in the "Wild, Wild, West" era of internet development while interning at Langley Research Center in Langley, VA and later the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, CA."

There is no city called Langley in VA. It's Langley Air Force Base. I know this cause I live on it and I can see Nasa right now out of my window. I'll wave for you all....lol

Ha, did not even know about that page. Thanks for the sauce.

The only marketing this nutball is doing is making people leave... Man, anyone else see the vbulletin 5 Demo? Complete and utter trash! Some of the topic pages are calling over 20 external .js files, the load times are absolute horse crap. It's not even fast at all. Even though I understand the server is slow, if they are embedding tons of .js they should at least make the thing 100% ajax... (And still have usability for non-javascript users). I believe if you do not have javascript enabled you can't even access the forums, lol what a freaking joke this company is.

Top Bottom