Current LawSuit

Blakefire

I know there is a current law suit going on, my question is, whats going on? I dont wanna spend my money on XenForo and find out in say 2 months they lose and XenForo has to suffer...

At this point we are waiting for the trial to begin. The trial date is currently set for January 15th 2013. Up to this point it has all been pretrial stuff... formalizing the charges, exhibits, defense, etc. This has been going on for almost 2 years.

No one can promise you an outcome. But most people expect XF to win if the case makes it to trial. The challenge has been in weathering the legal costs in the meantime.

Hi

I find this stuff with the lawsuit interesting. It is obvious that vb tries to shock every potential costumer with this and to slow down the percentage of vb users to switch over to XF.

How long is this legal action already going on? 2 years? vbulletin seems to try to gain time so that they can offer with vb5 a better product than with vb4 :)

But at the end of the day, what kind of downside there could be for the XF users? IMHO not really a lot.

What can happen worst case? That the XF code has to be rewritten again? So what?

The owners of Xf will not stop working for the rest of their lifes. They will still offer a forum software, no matter how you name it. So they will - worst case - offer a XFII with a different code.

It only slows down product cycles of XF, nothing else. So all the mods/ hacks have to be pushed in the meantime to fill this gap. That's all. It is only a question of manpower. And how much you can code within a year with limited ressources.

In my view All supporters of XF, which are able to code, should code more and more features as mods, so that ex-vb users, especially of the vb 3.8x version get all the features they are used to also in XF. This makes the switch a lot easier and the more licences XF can sell thanks to this, the more money they have to push after this legal games the develeopment to get back to speed next year.

What I can see now is a software with XF which makes so many basic things significantly better than my vb version, that it is realy worth it to switch even this year. It only can get better. Vb will never be able to disallow any kind of competition to develop forum software ;)

So get realistic. These are games for lawyers, we just do not care. It is only slowing down the product cycles temporarely, but it can not stop development in the long run.

Let's be honest: if there would be anything on the market, which would come close to what xenforo has already, we would not be all here, right ?

So act accordingly and convince all free developpers to get tons of mods available for XF. Then we would even not have a slowdown of product cycles. If they want to, they can charge money for each mod. I do not mind as long as it helps XF and me for using XF instead of vb!

There are bigger risks for (most) of new forums: they do not become succesfull, they do not attract members and they no post. I have a vbulletin forum that is not successfull. For some of the new sites, I am starting in the months to come, I need all the help I can get, and among that is that the attractiveness Xenforo to the users and how it makes people more likely to post. If the forum becomes successfull and have a lot active members, all other problems will be minor to me. Besides, Xenforo is rocksolid and I expect no problems for a loooooooong time, no matter what. IGN Boards, http://www.ign.com/boards/ one of the biggest boards in the world use Xenforo. As stated, a lot of developers are working actively with mods for Xenforo, you can be sure you are definitely not alone here.

It is all stupid IMO. The lawsuit should not really worry anyone. You only have to look at xF and vB to see there is nothing similar because xF is not a heap of poop. When big boards like IGN are using the software it shows that it is not going anywhere anytime soon.

I know there is a current law suit going on, my question is, whats going on?

Nothing. Nothing is going on. This law suit will likely last years and do nothing to either party other than waste time and money. We're still waiting for the trial to start lol. I wouldn't worry about it. The switch is more than worth it.

I know there is a current law suit going on, my question is, whats going on? I dont wanna spend my money on XenForo and find out in say 2 months they lose and XenForo has to suffer...
Interesting to point out that part of the claimed was that XenForo was using vBulletin's code, but that was tossed out when the people who vBulletin hired to prove this... Actually reported back that they were wrong and that XenForo is it's own standing product. Kind of funny when the people who you pay to discredit someone, actually comes back and discredits you.

This should give you some idea on how things have continued to go.... When people say there is a risk.... I often think to myself... Risk? What risk? Oh that... That's cry baby who is sad that a newer and smarter kid is on the playground.

Large sites and companies doesn't believe there is a risk either.
http://www.ign.com/boards/

Is just one of many examples.

Knowing the games that corporate types play, to us in the U.S. it just seems like the lawsuits are geared to exhausting XenForo of their funds. It's already a no-brainer to see that the code is completely rewritten. I'm no ace PHP coder myself, but I can clearly see they are different; some of what they've done here is completely over my head! :D

To me the whole things reminds me of Ford suing GM for selling something called an automobile. It has four wheels, an engine, seats and a radio--it fulfills the basic definition of "automobile." All forums are essentially alike--you read, you post a reply, you register...all basic functions. As for hurting the other company? Well vB, it's called "competition." Get used to it.

Then again, look at the patent abuse bull$hit with apple and all the other smartphone makers...one corporate bully threatening another and using the courts (and our tax dollars) to do so.

The "Risk" of bankruptcy is legitimate....

But even in this case, what would that mean in reality? xenforo is formed as an ltd. company. So they coul just go bunkrupt with this name and found xenforo no. 2 ltd. one second later. As far as I know, this would not change anything for us...

Regardless of Internet Brands ability to win the case, they've won the war. The effective pressure being applied has slowed development. IB will be able to get Vbulletin 5 out the door by the time the battle at trial is over. It's unfortunate really.

Sure there will be other wars to fight, but I think we've seen who the winner is here.

There are bigger risks for (most) of new forums: they do not become succesfull, they do not attract members and they no post. I have a vbulletin forum that is not successfull. For some of the new sites, I am starting in the months to come, I need all the help I can get, and among that is that the attractiveness Xenforo to the users and how it makes people more likely to post. If the forum becomes successfull and have a lot active members, all other problems will be minor to me. Besides, Xenforo is rocksolid and I expect no problems for a loooooooong time, no matter what. IGN Boards, http://www.ign.com/boards/ one of the biggest boards in the world use Xenforo. As stated, a lot of developers are working actively with mods for Xenforo, you can be sure you are definitely not alone here.
It is worth to say that Xenforo as a business has shown little sign of activity in severl quarters, and has so far given few reasons not to believe that something is seriously amiss. That large boards such as IGN and (in the future) DP use xenforo should not be a selling point for your run off the mill forum admin for the following reason: Both IGN, DP and others that aren't as cash strapped as most hobby boards can afford to maintain and develop XF independently. Most small community admins can not.

Lacking even an estimate as to when development will resume, let alone the release of 1.2 or what will actually make it in there. XF can currently not be considered future proof development wise, unless you have bags of money or the resources to maintain the product / develop it to get on par with what is becoming the norm.

One thing I have come to appreciate about K&M over the years is their respect for versioning. Major versions like 1.2 are always worthy of the new number. During the early vB3 days (when K&M were in charge) there was the same respect for version numbers. Major, minor, alpha, beta, RC, all done properly and meaningfully. This changed after IB took over development. Suddenly versioning didn't make sense. vB4 would have been better labelled as 3.9. Subsequent updates to vB4 also failed to live up to their version increases. There has been confusion in status labels as well. For example, 4.2 went from alpha to beta to gold in the span of 6 days. That makes no sense and basically means the labels are meaningless.

So when people talk about the time frame of vB5 and XF 1.2 I find myself wondering what those version numbers really mean.

Top Bottom