Current LawSuit

Blakefire

I know there is a current law suit going on, my question is, whats going on? I dont wanna spend my money on XenForo and find out in say 2 months they lose and XenForo has to suffer...

I am curious... what didn't they like? I assume that as end users it comes down to front end UX.

I know why big board owners like XenForo (resource usage).
They didn't like how the board function and mainly UI changes. They found too many ajax makes things uneasy. We would prefer the move to Xenforo because of less server resource usage but 80% of testers voted no so we choose not to.

If you found over 500k users ( 100+k active ) that post 20k+ posts per day why not but still we are happy with out users.

Anyway i am out of this discussion as it is not easy to post your opinion on xenforo.com lately without getting attacked by others.

Yeah, Mert...the way I feel, points of disagreement or critiques are important. While any post is open to disagreement, would hate to see you exit if you have valuable input on the questions raised.

That said, no one can force you to share your insight.

Cheers!

They didn't like how the board function and mainly UI changes. They found too many ajax makes things uneasy. We would prefer the move to Xenforo because of less server resource usage but 80% of testers voted no so we choose not to.

Ah. Too drastic a change? Yeah that's not surprising. I myself love the utilitarian UI of vB3, but it didn't take me long to appreciate XenForo's approach. Both are good in their own way. But if your community is used to vB3 then that carries a lot of weight. My community is dead so the opinion of my users isn't a consideration. :p

If it were up to my users we would still be on some version of phpbb 1.4.something.

I find its much better to say "we will be transfering to this new system, what do you want us to change about it".

I think there has to be a limit to how much power you give to your members in decision making. If everything you want to do depends on their approval then you are not really running your site. People dislike change, there's very little in terms of layout/design/UI you can do without users complaining in the short term. However after a while people get used to it and start noticing the benefits and forget about the old ways. Before you know it they prefer the new system. If your users knew more about what is best for your site, they would all run their own forum successfully. It's because you have the knowledge that they lack that you have a popular forum and they don't. Personally I welcome feedback from members, sometimes they mention things I forgot about. But generally the success of our forum did not come from them.

What Slavik said is correct. Also there are many things you can do to XF to make it look more conservative and still have the benefits of a modern forum solution.

The other side of the coin is that when migrating to XF (as an Admin) you have to be prepared to let a lot of the finer controls go. XF simply doesn't have the detailed level of control that its more developed counterparts have.

I felt a bit "naked" when I first moved over from IP.Board because I lost post edit history, couldn't thread ban individuals, and a host of other things I was used to being able to do. Now? I can't even remember what most of them were because it didn't matter in the grand scheme of things and didn't have as great an impact on our site as I had imagined. :)

That being said you have to make a decision or advise your clients based on the way you feel; and if you're not as confident in XF as you used to be then you have to decide for yourself if you want to remove it from the "possibles" list for a while. Depending on how things work out over the coming months and years you might be in a position to put it back on the list at some future point. (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

How about you move to another forum software that has an real future and not place your money in the hands of something that is a coin tossup lol. Because afterall the lawsuit isnt over and theres no guarantee that Xenforo will even be around after that. Im just saying, theres really no sufficient evidence at this point to put your faith in something that has no concrete soloution of being able to provide you with support or future updates.

Im not being negative im being a smart businessman at this point.

How about you move to another forum software that has an real future and not place your money in the hands of something that is a coin tossup lol. Because afterall the lawsuit isnt over and theres no guarantee that Xenforo will even be around after that. Im just saying, theres really no sufficient evidence at this point to put your faith in something that has no concrete soloution of being able to provide you with support or future updates.

We don't know about the future so let's not go there. IB should not win without evidence which they don't have or it would be available already. It's still a good buy at this price for what you get. Not many scripts out there that can compare at this price level. Worst case scenario, company goes bankrupt, XF could become an open source project. It's too good to go to waste. I say buy, test, wait for the verdict.

Yes there's the lawsuit hanging over XF at the moment, and no one knows what's going to happen with XF after it's all over. Some may say they know what's going to happen, but until something official comes out they're just talking through their hindmost parts AFAIC.

I can understand why users wouldn't want to move to XF, it's quite different to other UI's out there - in the end just have to weigh up what you want/need and see where XF stacks up alongside the other options out there given all the factors.

I see what you guys are saying, but look at it like this. Your putting your money and career into a product. You want to make sure you are going to get the support and updates from the developers. You do not want to put your money into something that has no definite future. What happens if buy it now over the other solutions and then XF closes down? Do you think ur going to get a refund? NO! Then you gotta buy another product anyway. Look in this world its about future proofing yourself and your assets.

Yes, XF is a nice software, very much so. I definitely want to see it continue and grow but thats from a fan decision not a business decision. I say wait a while and see what happens, before you go dumping money into something that is already gone. Not saying it is, but at this point no one knows anything, its anyone's guess. BTW if comparing XF to IPB, dont. XF is way too much in its infancy years to be compared to a behemoth like IPB. IPB offers a full suite, XF is just a forum.

Now, XF compared to PhpBB, Mybb, and the other free softwares then yes XF demolishes those.

I see what you guys are saying, but look at it like this. Your putting your money and career into a product. You want to make sure you are going to get the support and updates from the developers. You do not want to put your money into something that has no definite future. What happens if buy it now over the other solutions and then XF closes down? Do you think ur going to get a refund? NO! Then you gotta buy another product anyway. Look in this world its about future proofing yourself and your assets.

Yes, XF is a nice software, very much so. I definitely want to see it continue and grow but thats from a fan decision not a business decision. I say wait a while and see what happens, before you go dumping money into something that is already gone. Not saying it is, but at this point no one knows anything, its anyone's guess. BTW if comparing XF to IPB, dont. XF is way too much in its infancy years to be compared to a behemoth like IPB. IPB offers a full suite, XF is just a forum.

Now, XF compared to PhpBB, Mybb, and the other free softwares then yes XF demolishes those.
xenForo is a FORUM software company. IPB and vB are way behind when compared to xenForo as forum software (even tho they've had plenty of time to catch up). XenForo easily "demolishes" them.

Just imagine where the software would be without the lawsuit and developer issues.

xenForo is a FORUM software company. IPB and vB are way behind when compared to xenForo as forum software (even tho they've had plenty of time to catch up). XenForo easily "demolishes" them.

Just imagine where the software would be without the lawsuit and developer issues.
wow..really?..can we say noob? lol jk, thats ur opinion bro. Just facing the facts man. You said vB and IPB have had plenty of time to catch up to XF, lets list a few things here.

IPB has a downloads application, a web store application, a gallery application, a blog application, a content application, and a huge modification/ skinning community.

XF has..a small modification / skinning community. Thats it.

Umm so who should keep up? Now on the other hand, XF itself is a very modern and up to date "forum". But thats all it is, a forum. People these days need more than that. Ok so were getting way off point here. Point isnt the better software in general, its about whats better for each specific person. So you comparing the two just ends up bad on XF's side, so dont do that lol.

Agree with most of your points Vicros, yes there is a great amount of doubt about XF at the moment and yes it is most certainly 'just' forum software (IMO it does that better than any out there atm, but that's just me). My main gripe I suppose is people saying it's already dead and going to be gone, we just don't know that yet ... officially or otherwise.

If you can afford to wait until next January and need only forum software then I would say put yerself in a holding pattern. If you can't wait, or do need that bit extra then yeah investigate the other solutions out there.

One thing I have come to appreciate about K&M over the years is their respect for versioning. Major versions like 1.2 are always worthy of the new number. During the early vB3 days (when K&M were in charge) there was the same respect for version numbers. Major, minor, alpha, beta, RC, all done properly and meaningfully. This changed after IB took over development. Suddenly versioning didn't make sense. vB4 would have been better labelled as 3.9. Subsequent updates to vB4 also failed to live up to their version increases. There has been confusion in status labels as well. For example, 4.2 went from alpha to beta to gold in the span of 6 days. That makes no sense and basically means the labels are meaningless.
They're just trying really hard to get up high in the version numbers so they look good. Like Chrome ever since it was made, and now Firefox. Version numbers mean nothing to them.

I like the methodical versioning system and I make use of it myself. One of my sites was 1.x for at least 3 years, has been 2.x (beta) for 6 years. Yeah, I never un-beta'd the beta..but yeah.

Top Bottom