CTA Featured Threads & Portal

CTA Featured Threads & Portal [Paid] 2.17.0

No permission to buy (£40.00)
Hi,

A little feature request. Not sure how popular this would be, but this is worth a try.
I'm using the featured threads to run some campaigns/contests over my forum.

One of the features that I miss is to be able to track performance of featured threads by unique clicks over the feature thread header., In other words, some myself/companies are trying to check the performance of their campaigns through my forum (they are giving away free products).

We do this through featuring threads on the top of the page across the entire forum, but it's hard to give some real statistics to these people after the campaign ends, so they can keep giving away free stuff on our forum. It would be a good idea to have the option to set a trackable link when featuring a thread. The link would be through https://bitly.com/ or www.goo.gl
As far as I now, both of these services have an API. Or maybe even set this manually without messing around with an API somehow.

To sum up, I'm trying to check how many people clicked the "read more" link, or clicked the title of the thread and redirected to thread itself.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The second new feature for 2.10 is also something that was requested.

Additional criteria relating to the thread posted date and last reply date.

View attachment 77378
Just stop by to say that auto featuring is becoming really great feature. Well, this whole add-on is really complex but easy to manage. Really like it.

Great work, Brogan!

Quite why you expect the code to ignore that value when it is clearly there for that very purpose is beyond me.
You are missing the point then. My query simply is that why are the image icon getting reset to the default icon every time the cron is run. If I have to set the number of thread to a higher value so that the image icon which I have uploaded does not get reset to default icon or disable it completely then there must something wrong.

Perhaps your initial attitude and post had a lot to do with that?
Perhaps you got very touchy coz I mentioned that I will have to disable your add-on for now since it is not giving me the desired output. Thats where I remember it went on a tangent. I expected you to have a look at it or guide me instead of telling me that it is my prerogative to disable it and the add-on is perfect. I didn't need to be told that, I needed help.

However, don't expect users to stand by and let someone say that a product is buggy and doesn't work properly when it isn't the case.
Drawing some parallels, I guess that's how the bug report forum on this site works. You notice a feature not working you report it as a bug and that is either confirmed or is classified as not a bug and/or configuration issue. I am sorry I expected something different from this thread. I was looking for a solution instead of blunt replies and testimonials.

Anyway, back to trying to solve your latest issue - and I'd really like to get this sorted for you :) As I requested in my last post, please can you tell us about the following:
  • Are you sure your latest threads aren't there?
  • What order have you set for display on the front page
  • Which forums have you selected for auto promotion?
  • What is the URL to your site so we can see these issues?
Now I tried the options you and Brogan suggested and that seemed to have resolved my issue. I set the featured threads to 0 and changed the display order to thread start date.

The issue as I understand was that the latest threads were set by feature date earlier and when I set the limit to 0 their feature date got buried below the new feature date of older threads. Changing that order resolved the issue.

Setting it to 0 stopped the threads from losing their user uploaded image icon every hour. I however do not want to keep it at 0 but its not a major annoyance for me to keep harping about it.

So as it stands the issue is resolved. Thanks Martok for your post, I felt your attitude towards the issue was more friendly.

Hi @Brogan nice mod. Before purchasing i have some questions:

I have in root wordpress an in subfolder /forum/ xenforo.

domain.tld ist wordpress an domain.tld/forum/ is community.

Would it be possible to take the Portal as Homepage? Or will it change all forum URL´s?

Can i install this mod an test and cutomize it? Maybe is there an extra URL where i can see the Portal, but which is not linked for the users?

The portal page will be the URL of where XenForo is installed.

You can't have XenForo installed in domain\community.com and the portal page at domain.com.

Unfortunately there isn't an admin demo available.
It is something I have considered setting up.

Drawing some parallels, I guess that's how the bug report forum on this site works. You notice a feature not working you report it as a bug and that is either confirmed or is classified as not a bug and/or configuration issue.
Now I tried the options you and Brogan suggested and that seemed to have resolved my issue. I set the featured threads to 0 and changed the display order to thread start date.

Therefore it wasn't a bug - like you were told numerous times :)

The portal page will be the URL of where XenForo is installed.
Ok, so i have not an option? Portal ist automaticaly the new forum index?
Or can i install it, maybe under domain.tld/forum/portal and play with it arround, and when everything is like i want, i set it to the new index?

It will only be the index/landing page if you set it to be so.
Otherwise the index page will be the forum list by default.

What are you trying to achieve exactly?

What are you trying to achieve exactly?
I want to install it and to work with it, but not show it for all the guests.
It will only be the index/landing page if you set it to be so.
This should work. I am the only one, who knows the url to the landing page. :D
And i can play with it, design it, set the filters and even when it´s ok, i will change the Portal Page to the index.

If you install it and set it as the index page, it will be the index page for all visitors.
Just as the forum list is in a regular installation.

If you want to work on it, only set view permission for yourself and don't set it as the index page.
Then, once you're happy with it, grant view permission for all visitors and set it as the index page.

Or, install it in a test installation and work on it there.

Really nice update. I'm worried though that I might get more than one featured thread per forum. More than one is too many for me.
So I'd like to suggest an option to set the maximum number of featured threads per forum. If a new thread is automatically featured, when that limit is me, the one set to expire the soonest, or the one with fewest criteria to set feature the thread is automatically unfeatured.

Quite a big change to the criteria (again).

There is now an Exclusive checkbox, which essentially changes the criteria from AND to OR, so it's possible for example to pull well liked threads, or those with lots of replies, which may not necessarily meet both criteria together.

It is also possible to ignore the likes, replies, and views by entering -1.
This is particularly important if you use the Exclusive option because if you set it to 10 likes, 100 replies and leave views at 0, it will naturally feature all threads, as all of them will match the views criterion.

upload_2014-7-10_0-29-12.webp

There is now an Exclusive checkbox, which essentially changes the criteria from AND to OR, so it's possible for example to pull well liked threads, or those with lots of replies, which may not necessarily meet both criteria together.

It is also possible to ignore the likes, replies, and views by entering -1.
This little checkbox addition has actually taken a lot of work to put in - I thought the coding would be relatively simple but it's actually quite complex. Thank you @Brogan for your perseverance in incorporating this new functionality. (y)

Let this be a lesson to those of us who don't (yet) make add-ons - simple to add in our opinion definitely isn't always the case in reality!

Top Bottom