CTA Featured Threads & Portal

CTA Featured Threads & Portal [Paid] 2.17.0

No permission to buy (£40.00)
Trying to register a user account on your site to purchase... getting an error saying I did not fill in the Captcha... there is no Captcha field.

I'll be honest, real life is taking priority at the moment (and will for some time), and as I don't plan to upgrade my own site to XF2, there isn't an overwhelming urge to rewrite the add-on for XF2.

If and when I do, it's going to require a radical rethink as a lot of the functionality can now be achieved with built in XF code (widget positions and home page, for example).

So the first step would be looking at the existing feature set and deciding what to carry over and what to drop.
It may just be better to revert to pure featured thread functionality as it was originally, dropping the portal bit, as that can be achieved natively now.

I do really like this add on. It's incredibly useful for promoting the most important threads and content. I was kind of half expecting that you might end up pull requesting an updated version into the XF2 core, it would be a welcome addition.

Is it possible to insert an ad below the feature slider? I tried ad_above_content, but that is directly above the slider, I would like it directly below.

I'm very interested in purchasing this... However, I may have missed it somewhere -- how are threads selected to be featured?

Thanks!
Ray

It's done manually based on permissions, or automatically based on criteria.

It's all explained in the resource overview.

Brogan,

I know you've said Featured Threads respects user permissions -- my question is if we feature a thread from, say a premium members only forum, can it show a snippet as opposed to nothing to non-members? We want to be able to show featured threads to everyone and entice non-members to join up.

Thanks,
Ray

No, that's not possible.

Only those with permission to view the thread will see the featured thread.

Hi Brogan,

Is the last post username available on the featured threads by chance? I tried doing a: {xen:helper dump, $featuredThreads} to view available items but the page just shows up blank (not sure why).

I've searched the thread with no luck.

I'm not sure if that's available - it's unlikely as only the first post content is displayed.
I don't have a localhost install against which to check either.

The dump should work, assuming it's the correct param for the page/view.

@Brogan will there be a XF 2.0 of this?

That has been answered already:

I'll be honest, real life is taking priority at the moment (and will for some time), and as I don't plan to upgrade my own site to XF2, there isn't an overwhelming urge to rewrite the add-on for XF2.

If and when I do, it's going to require a radical rethink as a lot of the functionality can now be achieved with built in XF code (widget positions and home page, for example).

So the first step would be looking at the existing feature set and deciding what to carry over and what to drop.
It may just be better to revert to pure featured thread functionality as it was originally, dropping the portal bit, as that can be achieved natively now.

Top Bottom